Sign in to follow this  
low an slow

best way to turbo e30

i got a 318i e30 bmw an im wondering wat the best and cheapest way to turbo it would be im sticking a new 318i engine in and was thinking of putting a turbo on it but i woldnt know where to get intercooler piping that fits from or wat kind of computer to use or how to do it on the cheap. can anyone help me?

Please resize & repost your photos...about 800 X 600....forum rules

If English is not your second language.. please try or use proper English

Edited by *Glenn*

Theres no cheap & easy way to do it properly.

Pics are huge too, you'll need to resize them.

Theres no cheap & easy way to do it properly.

Pics are huge too, you'll need to resize them.

ohk well do you know where i would get intercooler piping from and hat computer i wud use? also is there anything else id need to do to it so it could handle a turbo set up probably only a t3/t4 turbo

You need a bit more than intercooler piping and a computer to turbo an E30..

Try reading the masses of info on the net or buy something already turbo..

Edited by M20B20ONP

^^ Agreed. Is not hard to find it; e30tech.com, r3v and the countless other forums and write ups available using search on google.

Also you might find turboing a m40 a waste of time unless you know what you're doing or have a large budget, as you're not going to get much out of it going the cheap and easy way. Dropping a turbo m20b25 in will see much larger gains for the same money.

Leave it be guys... he's new... or I'll have to close the thread.

I suggest the op lays low (pun) and watches how things work on here

Theres no point turboing the engine unless its a 2.5l. A friend of mine has a pretty much full CA18det setup in his e30, and it was pretty easy and it goes great. Just randomly, e30s are a easy 12a rotary conversion if you're into that stuff (show)

What sort of power would you expect from a 12a ? out of interest.

What sort of power would you expect from a 12a ? out of interest.

bugger all, probably about 130hp as standard non turbo. Easy to get more power though with some light mods. I personally reckon a rotary e30 would be awesome!

Definately wouldn't say no to a 20B (Twin Turbo?) out of a JC Cosmo, in an E30.

Theres no point turboing the engine unless its a 2.5l. A friend of mine has a pretty much full CA18det setup in his e30, and it was pretty easy and it goes great. Just randomly, e30s are a easy 12a rotary conversion if you're into that stuff (show)

I disagree. My 318is turbo runs mint....

I disagree. My 318is turbo runs mint....

Yours is a little different and it's had a sh*t load spent on it. The OP said "CHEAP"

i got a 318i e30 bmw an im wondering wat the best and cheapest way to turbo it would be im sticking a new 318i engine in and was thinking of putting a turbo on it but i woldnt know where to get intercooler piping that fits from or wat kind of computer to use or how to do it on the cheap. can anyone help me?

Please resize & repost your photos...about 800 X 600....forum rules

If English is not your second language.. please try or use proper English

do you expect to learn how to turbo a car, on the cheap in a single thread on a car forum? no chance.

but, some actual advice for you...

Theres a saying- Cheap, Fast, or Reliable. You can pick 2 from that list.

You've said you want cheap so its either going to be slow, or break all the time. And if its cheap you dont want to be showing it off.

You can get away with the standard ecu on low boost setups, look at bigger injectors or RRFPR as band-aid solutions.

intercooler pipes will all have to be custom made. you can hunt around for off the shelf exhaust manifolds but someone will still have to make you up a waste pipe. then there are oil feeds and drains, water lines too. clutch will probably need upgrading, so will cooling system. you'll want gauges to keep and eye on it all too. standard 14" tyres will be useless so count on putting wider rims into the mix too.

You can do turbo setups on the cheap but going from your first post you need to read a LOT more. research. research some more. then keep researching. then if you still have questions ask us. the info is all out there if you really want to do it.

Edited by Mike

Lol Q and A is awesome.

Highlight of my day. Jesus christ some people are so retarded.

E: oh and what Blair said.

Edited by Brams

Lol at whoever said "I will give you 6 goats"

I am assuming its a bimmersporter....