Sign in to follow this  
Jacko

Insurance shopping

Wondering if anyone can recommend me an insurer, 85 Tech1 e30 coupe with M50 swap etc.

Wanting an agreed value policy, that isnt gonna screw me if it all turns pear shaped (ie state....)

Have clean full license, no crashes etc and am 28.

Most of the regular insurers wont cover me due to the non standard car, and NAC dont do agreed value.

Any recommendations, maybe a broker is the go.

club auto do agreed value, but they are quite expencive. was my last resort though as i had no other options... i have fines, had a crash and 18 lol

I'm 18 and have comprehensive cover on my 530i and also an ML500 and 911 Turbo, on a full licence.

We are insured through Lumley on a commercial insurance policy which allows private use on vehicles. It's a flat premium per year for Dad, Mum and myself to be insured on all three cars.

Our insurance was organised with them through a broker as they were the only ones who could insure me on my parents cars as I need to use Mum's car occasionally and it ended up as only slightly more to have all 3 cars covered for any nominated drivers, incl. Under 25 un-named.

EDIT:

I thought Club Auto was the same as NAC?

Edited by Tristan

CLIC don't do agreed value either, just had a look at my policy book.

But apparently they're really good for modified vehicles, even send you out 3 pages to list your modifications on... even if you have no modifications...

My Subby and Truck have extensive mods...AA insured me no worries and all with agreed value via Subaru and Mitsubishi dealers, it may have helped that we have all our Vehicles, house and contents with them.

Can't see why modifications are a problem for insurance. If the car is certified and WOF???

Call Crombie lockwood brokers they are bloody good and should find something for you.

Can't see why modifications are a problem for insurance. If the car is certified and WOF???

Mods mean more likely to drive faster, more likely to be stolen etc.

Yeh, no cert=no wof=no insurance ;)

AA/AMI flatout refused due to ticking the modified box.

Whats a resonable theft excess. Got a qoute for $1300PA, but the theft excess is $2k!

I'm surprised AMI didnt insure you. I didnt have too many worries getting my old turbo e30 insured through them which had a heap of mods. All in my own name and while I was under 21 too

edit: that was only 3rd party, fire + theft though.

Edited by Mike

Random. Maybe theyve changed their policies?

yeah that was a few years ago. It also depends who you get on the phone. Its happened to me before and other people where you call up one day and they'll happily give you a quote. Call the next day and someone else decides they wont even insure you

I'm surprised AMI didnt insure you. I didnt have too many worries getting my old turbo e30 insured through them which had a heap of mods. All in my own name and while I was under 21 too

edit: that was only 3rd party, fire + theft though.

AMI wouldn't insure me to drive a POS Magna Wagon. Because it was a 2.6....

You should also see how expensive my E30 is to insure, for a slow 2L car, it's completely bullshit. -_-

Edited by antil33t

AMI wouldn't insure me to drive a POS Magna Wagon. Because it was a 2.6....

Tower won't insure under 25s on anything over 1.8l I believe - Haha.

Tower won't insure under 25s on anything over 1.8l I believe - Haha.

Yeah thats what club auto is for. they are run by tower. Wouldnt insure the volvo either coz, quote: "its a 2.3L Turbo, and regardless of the fact it probably stuggles to pull the skim off milk, the computer says no, try club auto"

i would have to vote NAC here. cheap and they cover all kinds of mods etc.

Cheap isn't the first word that comes

To mind with NAC. Perhaps extortion? :)

I was quoted a 5k premium, 17k excess. Now on the same

Car I'm on a 1.6k premium and I belive 5k excess?

wow. i have full insurance with 1k exess for 700 per annum. this is for an agreed value of 8k for the car, 1k for mags, this inc the fact that its 2.5 manual, tinted, painted, lowered, mags, and no alarm or immobiliser. im 20 and have lost my liscence before. i thought this was reasonable.

$17k excess? You're car would barely be worth that?

Lol, and you were surprised by the quote?

Not surprised but it wasn't cheap and the policy I'm on now is cheaper than my quote from NAC. All I'm saying is cheap doesn't come to mind with NAC for me.

Ive got 3rd party fire and theft on my e30 325 with NZI. this is for agreed value of 4000, excess of 1500 and premium of 313. and im 17 and on restricted which i reckon is pretty good?

Edited by zinnoberrotE30