Sign in to follow this  
Jacko

Insurance shopping

wow. i have full insurance with 1k exess for 700 per annum. this is for an agreed value of 8k for the car, 1k for mags, this inc the fact that its 2.5 manual, tinted, painted, lowered, mags, and no alarm or immobiliser. im 20 and have lost my liscence before. i thought this was reasonable.

who'd you get this from?

Ive got 3rd party fire and theft on my e30 325 with NZI. this is for agreed value of 4000, excess of 1500 and premium of 313. and im 17 and on restricted which i reckon is pretty good?

which broker did you go through to get an agreed value policy with NZI?

Ive got 3rd party fire and theft on my e30 325 with NZI. this is for agreed value of 4000, excess of 1500 and premium of 313. and im 17 and on restricted which i reckon is pretty good?

3rd party agreed value??

Some updates, whatya rekon?

Clean license, 28 years old, driving since 15, single driver, no accidents in 11 years living in centralish auckland.

AMI - Stock 85 M323 with 17"s no alarm and a CD player, $300 excess, $626 premium, 6k agreed value.

AMI - Modified, Wont insure.

CLIC - stock as above, $600 excess, $1500 theft excess, $1120 premium, 6k third party valuation.

CLIC - M50B25 swap, exhaust, swaybars, polyurethane, coilovers, LSD, 5 star alarm - $750 excess, $1500 theft excess, $1346 premium for 10k third party valuation.

Way it seems to me if one has a stock car, AMI (and not CLIC!) , if one doesnt CLIC ;)

Edited by Jacko

I'm also with NAC, they have been very good to deal with, they are the cheapest for me, i don't have a squeaky clean record tho.

I was in the same position with AMI a few months ago - clean license, no accidents, single driver, 35. They put me on to Clic as the car was modified (suspension) and they said they could not insure (after initially saying they would). Because it was late in the year and we were traveling over xmas/new year there was no time to shop around and I just wanted it sorted. May change insurers after the year policy is up...

Edited by BLACK DORIS

I ended up going with Insure Direct. Its very cheap for me, $41 a month for a car thats been lowered and has different wheels. $1250 excess and I'm only 18

NZI wanted to cancel my insurance after I notified them I had installed a CAI kit in my car

ah yep a bit of metal and a different filter is going to make me more likely to crash than I was before

so went with Vero who just laughed when I told them what NZI told me

bonus is that they're cheaper than NZI and you can also ignore up to 2 speeding tickets when applying for the insurance

one thing that really pisses me off - NZI refusing to insurer me but they keep taking my monthly premiums out (2 x premiums taken out since I told them to shove it)

have now gone to the bank and told them to remove any authority NZI has to take money from my account since NZI's customer service doesn't seem interested in doing anything about it

NAC -

Standard - $841 premium, 500 excess, 900 theft excess, 150 glass excess

Modified - $1479 premium, 600 excess, 1900 theft excess (500 with alarm), 150 glass.

Has anyone actually claimed under NAC or CLIC?

Dude on the phone at NAC sounded like a flatpeaker, the guy at clic knew what an M50B25 was though :ph34r:

Theyre pretty comparable price wise, but what really matters is when they pay out! :D

Edited by Jacko

I've claimed under NAC and found they were good. Slow, but aren't they all.

But they paid up.

I was more annoyed to find my agreed value policy was market value.

I'm with AMI now agreed value.

@Jacko - Funny you say AMI wont insure modified cars. I have disclosed every modification to my car, each year. No issue there.

Edited by M5V8

State? Agreed value on my STi and Civic Type R. Both 2002 models, both modified, <$800 pa ea, comprehensive. Clean licence, 23yo.

They wouldn't do agreed value on my old '89 e30 touring though, also modified. I think they prefer newer cars, but have been very good to deal with. Worth giving them a go?

Edited by JiB

^ dont think many will do an agreed value on the older cars, especially with mods. Ami wouldn't.

I am so glad I dont have to shop for insurance here. Down side is unless I have my car appraised I would get what they offer and would have to hire a third party to argue for me on my cars value. As my car sits I would probably get around the $4000 range if I was to get it written off. I recently had my car appraised at just over 11k with damage after a really bad hail storm had dented the hood, trunk and roof. My insurance company was ready to write my car off until I presented them with the appraisal papers saying what my car was worth. I pay $86 a month to plate my car with a $700 deductible. If I would like a lower deductible I would have to pay an extra $250 a year which would lower it to a $50 deductible. My insurance covers everything that could possibly happen to it including all the contents of the car.

Went with CLIC simply because the dude on the phone didnt sound like a f**knuckle, like NAC! ;)

Listen up companies with clowns in the call centres... :ph34r:

Edited by Jacko

+1

the person at NZI obviously had no clue at all when I called them to say I put a K&N cold air induction kit in my car, took me 10 minutes to explain to them what it is, and then straight away they said "we don't insure cars with performance parts" ... um yea at best maybe 2 extra hp? That's really going to make me a massive risk compared to before :rolleyes:

afterwards, talking with the person at Vero was much better

didn't even have to explain the induction kit, the guy knew exactly what it was straight away and then he started laughing at NZI's response, he couldn't understand what their problem is

agreed value ... be very careful with your policy wording and make sure it actually states it is agreed value

a lot of the so called agreed value policies out there are actually just market value policies with the claim limit been the value that you agreed on (ie the agreed value of your policy)

Edited by Wom