Sign in to follow this  
E30stz

How do you keep your blacks black :)

Bumpers / Plastics / Window rubbers / Sidemirrors ..... how do you keep them black ?

I've tried a few methods,

1) Bumper blackener - doesnt seem to do stuff all ... maybe just a crap quality brand but yeah.

2) Tyre shine... did an ok job but doesnt last long.

3) Shoe shining nugget, works well and lasts a while. Applied with a special cloth instead of a brush as it will leave streaks or scuff marks if you use brush..

Edited by E30stz

CRC Silicon spray works a treat, just need to cloth it and rub it in otherwise it'll sweat/bead in the sun. It's a good cost:performance solution.

silicon on a semi damp excelo then rub like sh*t into your rubbers, lasts bout 3weeks. f**k shoe polish youl start getting cracks! :bounce:

silicon on a semi damp excelo then rub like sh*t into your rubbers, lasts bout 3weeks. f**k shoe polish youl start getting cracks! :bounce:

I once heard Silicon will gradually break down rubber. Any true of that?

I also heard it's best to use Hydro-carbon based product on rubber as they "lubricate" them. Any true of that?

not a big fan of rubber shine....all it does is attract dust n crap to it and turns brown and looks mingin

i prefer going for the clean rubber look.....not as black but i love rubber

I once heard Silicon will gradually break down rubber. Any true of that?

I also heard it's best to use Hydro-carbon based product on rubber as they "lubricate" them. Any true of that?

I once had a friend that told me stupid sh*t.

I used industrial silicon (stolen from my old work <_<) on my isuzu for several years without any side effects. Silicon works a treat on rubber vinyl and plastics. It especially works wonders on oxidised looking plastics.

I'm a huge fan of silicon. When I bought my car, the mirrors were light grey and had a rough feel to them. After a couple of regular applications of silicon, they are now black as black and very shiny and smooth. Don't have to apply very often now, just whenever I feel the rubber bits could be looking better.

Anyone know what would happen in a situation where heat is involved? I have tidied up my engine bay and uesd the odd bit of silicon in there, just wondering if there might be any damage caused by the extra heat in there.

I wouldn't touch my engine bay with anything except degreaser (which it needs a bit of right now actually)

I wouldn't mind water blasting the underside of my car and the engine bay...

Guest Andrew

silicon doesn't last at all its horrible - I wouldn't bother putting any of that sh*t on your car - not to mention its a bitch on the paintwork.

if u want to get your bumpers really black, get a rag and dip it in some old oil and them do your bumpers, looks good, dont know how long it last tho

Andy,

I use Turtle 2001. It works great, just spray a little on a rag and rub in (your hand may get a little sore).

I used mothers black restorer on my old E30. It bought up the mirrors, grille and lip spoiler real good.

I've got that CRC silicon sh*t for the tyres, but was told the tyres will go brown after regualer use. Its too shiney anyway, and after a bit of driving in the wet, it all comes off -_- . I prefer tyre paint for the tyres.

Mothers

Everything else is sh*t, ecept if there is an equiv. Meguars product

if u want to get your bumpers really black, get a rag and dip it in some old oil and them do your bumpers, looks good..

yea just like its good to pour used engine oil on your lawn...

if we're talking engine bays, try a bit of dynamo (liquid laundry powder), Just dilute it down in a garden sprayer. Spay it on, wait 5 min then hose off. Works wonders, also gets to those hard to clean bits. Safe to use on paint. Use degreaser for the engine tho. Also, if your like me and go a bit overboard with the hose spray WD40 all over the dizzy, etc. (It only happened once) Yeah, sorry a bit off topic

Armorall is the original, but again, you really have to rub it in. It tends to last, but it also shows up all the finger marks of the jerk offs that put their damn hands all over everything.

If you want to risk it, a quick blast over with a heat gun on high will bring the original oils out, a professional car restorer/resprayer told me that one, I haven't been brave enough to try in case I melt the door handles off my new baby.