Sign in to follow this  
havak2tone

engine swap for 6 grand

Hi guys im saved up enough money i think lol and im ready to do my first engine swap.

i just wanted some advice much as i like to fantasize bout putting a v8 in it i want something to give it more power but i dont want to sacrifice handling or the overall balance a 4 door e30 320i with getrag 240 etc.whats the best one in your guys opinion ?

i tried to look for engines that are similar in weight.but far out i cant be f(*&ed now .i dont want to put a 2.5 in it cause i should just buy one with a 325

id like the engine to be bmw.and im not puting a japanese p.o.s in it lol

my budget is 6 grand

6k would probably do M5x easy if you were doing all labour yourself.

Yeh M50B25, tidying the M50 up, LSD, all the new bits (radiator, clutch etc), exhaust. Do all the work yourself and you'd have change from 6g, maybe ;)

Edited by Jacko

6k would probably do M5x easy if you were doing all labour yourself.

Yeh M50B25, tidying the M50 up, LSD, all the new bits (radiator, clutch etc), exhaust. Do all the work yourself and you'd have change from 6g, maybe ;)

ok cheers guys m50b25 it is then.My very first engine swap hahaha should be interesting

can do a V8 bmw M60B40 engine and trans with electrics package if you want

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

how much more would M60 V8 weigh over M20? M60 is alloy block vs M20 iron block, anyone got the figures?

M5x for sure. for 6 grand id do M52 though, put out more power on paper, but i havent been in an M50 powered E30, only my M52 so i wouldnt know how much better the latter is

Edit: also 4door (ex)320i manual, is by far and away worth every sent over the slug in your car now

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

Out of curiosity man, how much did the M52 conversion set you back? If you dont mind me asking ;)

I guess a benefit of an M52 is also the likelihood of it having less k's on it than an M50, and requiring less replacement bits, kinda offset the cheaper M50 initial price, but then ya gotta add all the EWS shizzle cost (and headaches)

Edited by Jacko

Hmmmm about 6k or so would be what it would cost to do most conversions.

Depends on what gearbox you run as that can alter costs by a few grand...

Also factor in upgrading the drive shaft/diff/axles if your going from a low powered engine to a considerably more powerful one...

If you go for a stock BMW M52 then it would be bolt up, non BMW motors is where the cost would jump due to custom fabrication which I have found with my V8 conversion. Will end up being about 7k at least just for the conversion cost.

All worth it of course.

Edited by Achtzylinder