Sign in to follow this  
sdevil

What's wrong with my E46 Rear Light?

My 2002 318i got strange problem recently.

The rear light warning showing up sometimes, but rear light is fine, no burn out.

This was happened before, but warning light was only show up for few minutes, then gone.

But today it keep showing for whole day, till evening, the warning light disappear again.

Any one knows what's going on here?

see photo below:

Posted Image

It means drive faster there is a missile chasing you :mellow:

Have you had someone stand behind the car to test if all your brake lights are working? Tested all bulbs?

try: swapping bulb to other side if problem moves to that side, replace the bulb if the problem remains on the same side, check for poor connections on the bulb holders or tail light plug etc...

good luck

Replacing your bulbs is the first port of call. Most likely that the filament has broken and is intermittently connecting if nothing else has been changed. I have had exactly the same thing before.

Updates:

I swapped brake bulb to another side, the warning light still showing on right.

then I unplug tail light cable plug, re-plug in again, the problem seems gone, don't know how long it will last.

seems like plug problem?

I would just go and buy all new bulbs, they are not expensive and it’s an easy swap.

May sound silly but how is the life of your battery?

Our E46 through some random lights on when its battery was up for renewal.

Do you have OEM tails?

Since I un-plug connector and re-plug it again. It's been two days. Problem seems gone so far, no more rear light warning comes.

But yesterday after I gave my parnter a jump on her flat battery car, My battery warning pop up for 1-2 seconds while driving, then off, it happened twice on yesterday, also happened few weeks ago while driving, i have already forgot.

Is that means my battery needs to change or something eles?

Since I un-plug connector and re-plug it again. It's been two days. Problem seems gone so far, no more rear light warning comes.

But yesterday after I gave my parnter a jump on her flat battery car, My battery warning pop up for 1-2 seconds while driving, then off, it happened twice on yesterday, also happened few weeks ago while driving, i have already forgot.

Is that means my battery needs to change or something eles?

Means your alternator is struggling to charge the battery.

Due to failing alternator most likely.

Get the whole charging system checked before you get stranded.

If you replace the alternator, always fit a new one, and then fit a new battery at the same time

Means your alternator is struggling to charge the battery.

Due to failing alternator most likely.

Get the whole charging system checked before you get stranded.

If you replace the alternator, always fit a new one, and then fit a new battery at the same time

hmm...how much to replace the alternator + battery? quite short $$ recently. :unsure:

I can do the repair if your in Auckland...PM your chassis# if you would like a quote

Second thoughts: Maybe I should quote on fixing two cars. The alternator has probably been damaged on your car due to incorrect use of the jumper leads on your partners car.

Edited by *Glenn*

Hi There, Re - the tail lamp problem, I also had the same intermittent problem with my 2002, 330 when I first bought it in 2008 from Team McMillan,

I also tried swapping the bulbs etc, but the fault still persisted.

Team McMillan were good, being intermittent and after two attempts to fix it under warranty, they replaced the metal frame that holds the wiring loom sockets and advised there was a bad earth connection for the tail lamp.

Hopefully this helps you.

Regards..John

just what i would try.make sure all the bulbs bases are clean and all plugs and sockets are gettin good connections.I would remove all bulbs and "polish"the bases witha clean rag.When i plug them in again i would polish all visible cotacts and for good measure connect and reconnect two or three times.This has the effect of cleaning all the plugs,connectors contacts.If you cant afford a new battery at least make sure you get it charged properly

Iv fixed this problem twice on 2 diff e46's.

Its a real simple fix remove the bulb holders and give the tabs a small tweak with a #1 flat blade screw driver so there is more pressure pushing the contacts together.

over time and lots of bulb changes they slowly bend inwards and start to make poor contact,

The main symptom is they work most of the time but every now and then when driving they will lose contact and trigger the dash warning.

hope this fix's it.