Sign in to follow this  
pureboiracer

cd stacker.

Hey guys, i was wondering if there was any way around an old cd stacker that wont play copied cds?

it plays genuine cds fine, but cdr will load the cd but no sound will come out, and cdrw and it just doesnt want to know.

is it possible to burn the music in some sort of different format that will work or is it something that will require new stacker or whatever?

buy good quality CD R's and burn them at the slowest speed you can.

edit: what format are you burning them as? Data CD or Music CD?

Edited by dubman

just tried that, no luck. it doesnt sound like the disc is spinning and pops up disc error all the time <_<

just tried that, no luck. it doesnt sound like the disc is spinning and pops up disc error all the time <_<

cd doesnt spin and error message pops up when you burn the cd's at the slowest speed? try burning them at the speeds you normally use but as Music Cd's

by "as music cds" do you mean burning them through something like windows media player? its from a 1993 e34 so i am wondering if cdr and such are too new tech?

Old stackers maybe a little sensitive when it comes to reading your burnt CD's.

1. check that you are burning as Audio CD's, and burning in CD format, not mp3, wav etc

2. Depending on your burning program, when you rip your original CD's, make sure its ripped to a high quality file, and copyright protection can be "tricked" or "fooled"

i went through the same thing when it came to my dads old mitisi. you may need to upgrade if it still doesnt work out for you, but play around with it, $5's worth of CD's is nothing compared to a new stacker and headunit.

by "as music cds" do you mean burning them through something like windows media player? its from a 1993 e34 so i am wondering if cdr and such are too new tech?

Music CD as in Audio CD lol. i never used windows media player to burn. I used nero at the slowest possible speed

cool will try out nero

With Nero, it creates a disk image which you can copy straight onto another CD. It doesnt convert the audio files, it simply copies the cd and transfers the contents onto another.

I use windows media player, its really easy, drag files to the burn tab and press burn, done.

If you're going to use nero etc make sure you burn a music cd as Will has said, it should count down the space left in minutes rather than megabytes (will only get ~70 mins per cd).

if its an old player then you are going to have to replace it with a new one or newer one.

what brand /model is it and model of the head deck i might be able to help .

cheers brent

Hey guys, i was wondering if there was any way around an old cd stacker that wont play copied cds?

it plays genuine cds fine, but cdr will load the cd but no sound will come out, and cdrw and it just doesnt want to know.

is it possible to burn the music in some sort of different format that will work or is it something that will require new stacker or whatever?

An old CD player not being able to read some CDs, especially burnt ones, is a sign of a weak old tired laser.

The diagnosis is nearly always 100% correct if you can read an original stamped CD, but cannot read a burnt copied CD.

If you can get the laser replaced, it will be 100% better.

But sometimes it can be hard to find replacement lasers for the older CD changers...

Oli, Ive got a couple of old cd changers if you want to try another one.

One is in pieces from an e30, the other is one from an e32/e34 which was working fine but has been out of a car for a while now.

Flick me a PM if you want to try them.

Edited by martyyyn

Ditch stacker and replace with aux jack so you can just use your I-Pod.

I made my lead for under $10.

^would like to do that but have eight speaker system which i would like to keep, and to do that wont be cheap... martyn pmd...

I had the same problem. After trial and error I used Sony CDRs (with sony supremas technology, whatever that is).

Burn with nero at 8x speed. Works great. Hope this helps.

^would like to do that but have eight speaker system which i would like to keep, and to do that wont be cheap... martyn pmd...

does your stereo have an aux button?If so martynn is the man to speak to about that too