Sign in to follow this  
Filter_nz

e46 323i a little disappointing

Okay, I've only had the 323 for a week.

Within the week it's had the horrible 15" 195/65's removed and a tidy set of BMW 16" 205/55 which made the world to difference to handling. Later on I have plans for eibach pro-kit coils, 10mm spacers and gunmetal 18" MV2 copies ...budget and wife permitting.

That all said, I'm a little disappointed with the motor.

I guess I expected more from a 2.5l 6cyl, 170hp seems very lazy.

Not having a poke at the 318 and 320 owners but they must be commuter cars end of story. I can't for the life of me see the point in the MSport 318i.

Are there any tried and tested methods to extract a little extra? I was thinking along the lines of a K&N panel filter and having the cat's replaced with resonators, has anyone had any luck with this engine or is it a case of putting up with it or buying a 330i?

you coul always get ur ecu chipped "or Remap your standard chip". i could possibly know the guy who could do it for you will have to ask first though.

you coul always get ur ecu chipped "or Remap your standard chip". i could possibly know the guy who could do it for you will have to ask first though.

I'm in Wellington.

Re: test drive, it's the wifes car. She drove it and liked it and that's all that really mattered at the time but the damn car has grown on me. Now I find myself reaching for her car keys leave ours 1 year old Diesel Mondeo in the drive!

Edited by Bradley_nz

I'm in Wellington.

Re: test drive, it's the wifes car. She drove it and liked it and that's all that really mattered at the time but the damn car has grown on me. Now I find myself reaching for her car keys leave ours 1 year old Diesel Mondeo in the drive!

okay awl goods. just tryna help :D

Most bmw arent real(of the line) rockets,they are relatively heavy and high geared.I dont think you will gain what you want with what you propose

If you have imported car exhaust will be 2 into 1 post cats. I modded mine post cat made big differance to mid and upper range. Your car will likely have oxy sensors behind cats, if so removing cats to replace with mufflers is a no no as this will confuse ecu and car will run lean.

From what ive read while researching M5x's is that the 323's engine is choked up so as not too make it faster than a 325/328. Cant have lesser models being quicker.

With a decent exhaust (incl manifold) and intake manifold, add a dyno tune in theory it should be able to woop a stock M50B25/M52B28

Dont have any personal experience with it, just information gleemed from reading lots ;)

If you have imported car exhaust will be 2 into 1 post cats. I modded mine post cat made big differance to mid and upper range. Your car will likely have oxy sensors behind cats, if so removing cats to replace with mufflers is a no no as this will confuse ecu and car will run lean.

What are my options then? I don't see how removing cat's and replacing with mufflers will effect the O2 sensors as the sensors will still be there, the exhuast gas just doesn't have to pass though the cat before the sensor anymore

Probably the best thing to do would be to go and test out a 328/330 and see if you find them worth the difference. Personally, I like all the three series with the M5x motors.

What sort of mileage is on the car? Could potentially be something wrong.

Grab a 330 .. for the money you cant get better motoring and it will keep you happy for a few years yet.

Until the upgrade to the m3 happens :D

Mine 2.8 is a bit of a slug. Unless I put the jandel in and it goes in kick down mode or use the tippy, they love to run at low revs, for the smooth feel

www.superchips.co.nz

BMW 323 E46

1998 - 2000

Engine type : Non-Turbo Petrol

Engine size : 2494 cm3

Cylinders : 6

Original bhp : 170

Original nm : 245

BHP increase : 12

I'm guessing around $800.00 which to me doesn't seem worthwhile for 12hp and I'm guessing around 30-40nm

From what ive read while researching M5x's is that the 323's engine is choked up so as not too make it faster than a 325/328. Cant have lesser models being quicker.

With a decent exhaust (incl manifold) and intake manifold, add a dyno tune in theory it should be able to woop a stock M50B25/M52B28

Dont have any personal experience with it, just information gleemed from reading lots ;)

This.

I have done quite a bit of research on it too, and it seems some good headers, intake, exhaust and a remap aswell as a good service, all oils, filters etc. You will then have the same or more power as a 325/328.

My 2c

Ray at Hellbm maybe able to help with an M54 325 exhaust system. Will bolt straight up and is twin right through.

BMW 2-1 exhaust. Serious restriction just past cat sensors, hence cat backs are popular for bimmers. Chopped out offending area and replaced with 2.5 inch tubes into 3in merge.

post-2455-1287271765.jpg

post-2455-1287271811.jpg

post-2455-1287272156.jpg

Edited by wayney

Should have posted with previous. OEM unit with shorty header.Note carbon ring on OEM, this is exhaust port diameter not matching manifold plate profile.

post-2455-1287276983.jpg

Wayney,

Did you honestly feel much difference after the header and exhaust mod?

I haven't had a good look but I suspect I have 2 smaller pipes into one large cat then one large pipe out from the cat to the muffler.

How did you run 2 pipes back from backs if the rear muffler only takes one pipe?

Headers off ebay?

Hi Brad, sorry just noticed your post.

My exhaust is very different to yours, as you will see in these pics mine merges in 2-1 collector.

You should look for a complete M54 325- 330 NZ exhaust as this should be twin all thru. If you have no post cat sensors you should be able to remove cats.