Sign in to follow this  
Jacko

Fake WRX Advert

Was pretty obvious it was fake tbh. Someone uploaded it to YouTube but I can't find it..

I thought it was pretty stupid tbh.

Also, fake advertising.

Regardless of the whole being fake thing, its an interesting topic.

Is there actually an effective way to get through?

I was a guilty as the next guy when I was younger, we didn't have the stupidly fast cars / couldn't afford them but those type's of accidents happened to someone else and no matter what we did it wouldn't be us.

An officer was stated as saying in the article that if it stopped and make even one person think twice about speeding then it was worth it, question really is.. would it stop you?

Personally around town / built up areas I don't speed, too many dangerous drivers on the road I need to be avoiding :)

On the open road I tend to stick to the limit and when inclined push the car(s) a little, never to stupid speeds

I realise if I get caught then I have to pay the consequences, but at these points the last thing going through my mind is any of the slow down / speed kills ads that get constantly played through the radio and TV

Good idea, won't work though.

IMO as soon as you have driven a car on the track (doesn't matter what it is), driving fast/stupid on the road just doesn't even seem fun (or cool) anymore, well thats how I felt anyway.

Good idea, won't work though.

IMO as soon as you have driven a car on the track (doesn't matter what it is), driving fast/stupid on the road just doesn't even seem fun (or cool) anymore, well thats how I felt anyway.

I'm on holiday in Thailand at the moment and I went to the Pattaya Go kart, man it was fun! They have really fast Karts there! What I'm trying to say is what Brams said, Driving like a dickhead, trying to be first to a red light/ stop sign isn't cool or fun as it seems. And i wouldn't do it on Thai roads either to many cars/people and scooters on the road oh and don't forget to mention kids and dogs!

I'm on holiday in Thailand at the moment and I went to the Pattaya Go kart, man it was fun! They have really fast Karts there! What I'm trying to say is what Brams said, Driving like a dickhead, trying to be first to a red light/ stop sign isn't cool or fun as it seems. And i wouldn't do it on Thai roads either to many cars/people and scooters on the road oh and don't forget to mention kids and dogs!

kinda OT too...

but I spent 3 weeks in thailand and the 2 accidents i saw over there were caused by tourists, it was crazy we went on a minivan on part of our trip and were hitting speeds of about 160kms in a full van (12 seater lpg powered i think it was) overtaking towards oncoming trucks it was crazy lol also seen many kids around the ages of 6-10 on scooters with like 3yo brother and sisters on it too lol

OT aswell,

but I am recently been in Morocco and Tunisia and the way they drive there is incredible. They turn 2 lane roads into 3 lane roads and will pass you down the middle of the road even if there are trucks coming the other way and they expect the trucks to move. Also if the road isn't wide enough for two cars going in opposite directions the smallest one is expected to pull off the road and if you don't they WILL hit you, they won't brake or try to avoid you.

Had so many close calls.

Anyway, I reakon its a good idea, even if it does look/sound fake. It would certainly make me think twice.

None of the advertising has an effect on me. Tho police presence does, if Ive just seen a cop or in a area I know always has police patrolling then Im not gonna try and do anything stupid. Hell id rather sit behind someone driving slow rather than pass them if I think its likely for a cop to be around (even if it is safe to pass them without braking the speed limit).

Police presence around Auckland and the North Shore has tripled I swear.. I'm not even daring to creep out my road with no WOF!

Police presence around Auckland and the North Shore has tripled I swear.. I'm not even daring to creep out my road with no WOF!

+1

On the coast (orewa, whangaparaoa etc) there is so many cops these days. Last weekend I saw at least 4 checkpoints, not to mention all the policemen driving around.

Guest Simon*

This long weekend is another of the Police's official 4km/h tolerance limit - like Queen's Bday.

I have to admit it did seem to work - and there was a lot less aggro on the road

Some people still don't understand the 4km/h tolerance...

I live near a school (4km/h tolerance during school times)

Cops sit near the school just where the parents would stop to collect kids.

10+ people get pulled if I get home at about 2:30

Can't judge when I couldnt hope to think of somthing as original.

Nice work.

it's a form of spam

I thought it was pretty stupid tbh.

Also, fake advertising.

HAH.

They made a good point in that it directly targeted those looking to buy a WRX, so got through to the people they wanted to. And would've cost piss all

talked to the guy who owned this car and had done the advert . the car got stolen the other day just before he was

about to go the tv studio for a interview with tv nz etc .

anyway he told me insurance is paying out and he is off to get a newer faster one to replace it .

They made a good point in that it directly targeted those looking to buy a WRX, so got through to the people they wanted to. And would've cost piss all

I drive a WRX, and the one in the article was a late model one like mine, i'm not to sure on the rest of the country but i can say the in CHCH the problem is people that drive around in cheap rough as guts "low-rels", skylines and cefiros etc.... so it didn't exactly catch the target audience that it was ultimately aimed at in my opinion.

I drive a WRX, and the one in the article was a late model one like mine, i'm not to sure on the rest of the country but i can say the in CHCH the problem is people that drive around in cheap rough as guts "low-rels", skylines and cefiros etc.... so it didn't exactly catch the target audience that it was ultimately aimed at in my opinion.

agreed, its the cut springs no wofs etc that are a big problem

agreed, its the cut springs no wofs etc that are a big problem

Nope, its the clowns that think they are Schumacher on public roads that is the problem.

You need to move to south auckland to see some rough ass WRX's with cut springs ;)

You dont see -

"Munter hit that lamp post halfway up, after leaping the roundabout and just clearing old Mrs smiths house, due to no WOF and cut springs"

Munter hit the lamp post cos he was a Munter.

Cut springs is just a convenient way to advertise your broke and ignorant :P

Mm the 10k bracket is where a lot of people take out finance though. And arguably if you take out finance for a WRX you're not as 100% there as someone who saved for it :mellow:

Cunning way to get a message across. I like it.

Sensible minded people wouldnt bother with the add as a 8k 04 sti is way to cheap. Reached the targeted audience well IMO

Why run a campaign like this when the car gets stolen and say your "just going to go out and buy a faster one"

Tool

Nope, its the clowns that think they are Schumacher on public roads that is the problem.

Absolutely agree. I regularly travelhome to the Bay of Islands from auckland where i live, and i feel that people who exist almost exclusively in the city arent quite aware of what a lot of idiots are doing out on the open road. However my argument is redundant as the campaign was for hoons in the suburbs.

Nonetheless there are so so many 35 year old pricks in fast european cars who drive like idiots on the Auckland- North roads who want shooting. I dont think they can be taught- they are intelligent people who make the stupid decision to break the limits regularly with reckless disregard for other road users.