Sign in to follow this  
DRTDVL

You Need To Read This!

google tells me:

Careless Driving Causing Injury:

Penalty: The maximum penalty is imprisonment of up to 3 months or a fine of up to $4500. The Court must disqualify you from driving for 6 months or more.

Dangerous Driving:

The maximum penalty for dangerous driving without causing injury or death is up to 3 months in prison and/or a fine of up to $4,500 and the loss of your licence for at least 6 months.

If you cause injury or death, the penalty is worse - a maximum of 5 years imprisonment and/or a fine of up to $20,000, and disqualification from driving for a minimum period of 1 year.

If you cause death and there are aggravating factors such as you were fooling around on the road prior to the accident or there was excess alcohol involved you may be charged with manslaughter. Imprisonment is then highly likely with the maximum being life.

I dont have the attention span to read the entire post.

Have had the near same type of accident myself only the motorcyclist was a learner and had had two beers at the pub, he lost a mirror and I gained a big dent in my door, because he was a learner and had been drinking we both went our separate ways no details swapped. Could have gone a different way though.

Morel is. Motorcycles are dangerous buy a car instead.

^ I think you missed the point.

Epic post by 10 pence, makes ya think. :ph34r:

Edited by Jacko

loose it on corner and bamm 1 year prison term...

later in the thread a guy comments about looking for a CD in a wallet, remembers the post by 10p and throws it on the passengers seat, 50m down the road a girl falls off her bike and into the road which he manages to avoid. He seriously questions his ability to avoid the girl if he hadn't put the wallet down and turned the radio on instead.

Fooo.... that's a scary read.

FWIW, bikes are not dangerous....

tl;dr

Guy goes for a casual spirted drive,

Guy loses control of car

car hits motorcyclist

car f**ks up motorcyclist

guy realises he's f**ked up the guy, feels guilt

guy ends up in jail + 3 years ban

Guy goes for a casual spirted drive,

Guy loses control of car

car hits motorcyclist

car f**ks up motorcyclist

guy realises he's f**ked up the guy, feels guilt

guy ends up in jail + 3 years ban

sh*t i just renew ip when i get ban

I dont have the attention span to read the entire post.

Have had the near same type of accident myself only the motorcyclist was a learner and had had two beers at the pub, he lost a mirror and I gained a big dent in my door, because he was a learner and had been drinking we both went our separate ways no details swapped. Could have gone a different way though.

Morel is. Motorcycles are dangerous buy a car instead.

I'm intrigued that you mention the rider was " . . . a learner and had had two beers . . . . " yet your conclusion is that "motorcycles are dangerous".

They are dangerous compared to what? Motorcycles are dangerous but cars are safe? Anyone riding a motorcycle is dangerous? All motorcycles are dangerous? Please give us the benefit of your undoubted wisdom on the subject.

Possibly compared to say.... a car?

Having a crash on a bike you are more likely to hurt yourself than having a crash in a car.

A car vs bike crash, more likely for biker to get hurt?

Bike has lower visibility to other road users?

Cages aren't as much fun. Risk/return tradeoff.

Scary how such a small mistake or lapse in concentration can change many people's lives.

Possibly compared to say.... a car?

Having a crash on a bike you are more likely to hurt yourself than having a crash in a car.

A car vs bike crash, more likely for biker to get hurt?

Bike has lower visibility to other road users?

You raise an interesting point about visibility. A large study was carried out in the USA back in the 1980's to establish which vehicles held the greatest awareness for drivers. Number 1 was fire engines with their lights. Number two was . . . motorcycle-riding cops.

What the survey established was that when we use the term "visibility" we're more often meaning "risk" and for most road-users, motorcycles don't pose much risk unless they are ridden by large hairy dentally-challenged thugs.

You are also missing a small point when you casually refer to "a car vs bike crash" when you omit to ask the fundamental question of fault. In 7 out of 10 cases, the car driver is at fault. Sure, riding a motorcycle involves more "risk", but much of that risk is due to other road-users who fail to observe their environment with sufficient diligence.

loose it on corner and bamm 1 year prison term...

later in the thread a guy comments about looking for a CD in a wallet, remembers the post by 10p and throws it on the passengers seat, 50m down the road a girl falls off her bike and into the road which he manages to avoid. He seriously questions his ability to avoid the girl if he hadn't put the wallet down and turned the radio on instead.

I'm surprised they havent tried to make some sort of lock-out on radio controls (bar volume) while the car is moving.

Kind of how the TV works in BMWs, once you're over 5kph you cant change a track, radio station, cd etc. I'd love to know how many crashes happen because a driver was looking around the passenger seat or glovebox to change a cd and not looking where he was going. Its not so bad no with more cars having steering wheel controls but I've been in vehicles where the radio controls may have been on the other side of the car

Sounds a bit of a manufactured post too me (like the WRX phone message one) Sure it's interesting and pulls on the heart strings but TBH, the idiots that do go out there and deliberatly drift around corners are not going to be concerned about "another accident" story.

nope not manufactured at all...

he's named and shamed in a local newspaper article and one of the bikes that stopped and provided first aid to the biker that hit the car comes on later in the thread and comments on a few things.

Have you ever been on a cruise and had someone killed on the cruise ??

I've been on 4 that this has happened... 3 on the Ducati & 1 in the Ti.... its not a nice situation

nope not manufactured at all...

he's named and shamed in a local newspaper article and one of the bikes that stopped and provided first aid to the biker that hit the car comes on later in the thread and comments on a few things.

Sorry, just meant, it seems like it is!

Personally i got bored after the 5th page, just random dudes asking if he had been "buggered" or what was jail or his first cellmate was like. Maybe some young guys about to go for a stretch.

I've been on 4 that this has happened... 3 on the Ducati & 1 in the Ti.... its not a nice situation

I've been on two where people have been very very lucky to not been killed/very seriously injured.

A lot of people on here where also at one that someone was killed, they probably don't remember.

Edited by DRTDVL

Glenn, remind me not to come on any of your rides!!!

Seriously though, I had a situation two years ago where two guys almost got killed on a ride, due to one rider's near-fatal combination of inexperience and over-exuberance together with a poorly maintained bike. This rider hadn't ridden with us before. Now, I'm normally very careful about who I ride with, but he'd had been invited by one of "our" guys who (it later transpired) didn't actually know him very well. Won't happen again.

If we're honest, none of us are immune from momentary inattention. Most times, we "get away with it" but this guy didn't . . . .

I sold the Ducati 4 years ago after doing about a 50 metre front wheel stand under braking at over a 100kph. Speed wise I was in the wrong, but the other prick in the car failed to give way. I also ran with my headlight on and a spot light under the fairing