Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ari Gold

Apple killed the optical drive today

Guest Ari Gold

You could say Apple kick started this seven years ago when they launched the iTunes music store, but with these two announcements, it's game over

http://t.co/QikV6nL

http://techcrunch.com/2010/10/20/os-x-lion/

App store and reformatting software that comes on a USB stick.

Can't for the life of me remember when I last put a CD in my computer that wasn't music.

And some bonus stuff that they've been busy patenting:

http://www.fastcompany.com/1684568/apple-f...ouchscreen-imac

http://www.fastcompany.com/1663544/apple-p...tic-smartphones

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/06...ch_devices.html

Yup.

We already have both new Airs to play with :P

We don't use the OS disks here to install. All ours are network images.

Makes life alot easier.

Meh I stopped using disks along time ago. I use a 4gb flash drive for installing OS's.

Any time I buy software I buy it online and download it. Cant remember the last time I bought software from a shop.

+1.

My design machine doesn’t even have a CD drive, all USB connections.

My Macbook Pro’s CD drive is temperamental at the best of times, actually so is the USB input so eliminating both works for me, just need to finish backing up my CD collection before the upgrade!

Second link - so apple have decided the best way to have everything at your fingertips is to have a few rows of desktop shortcuts? - f**k me that's cutting edge!

Seriously though, the solid-state storage and streaming of software is nothing new and the writing has been on the wall for a couple of years now. i still use optical discs, but only for "legacy" gaming and rental movies. Give that some time and they'll be gone too.

As usual, apple have packaged the idea very slickly, but it's nothing new.

Yawn.

The optical disk will be around for a loooong time yet. Yes you may install your os via USB, you may transport everything via USB, you may even use ISOs to play games instead of discs. But in most situations optical discs are a fantastic way to permanently back up data, give data to clients, a cheap way to transport and give data to a colleague. they will be around for a very long time. Even if their application has altered.

The optical disk will be around for a loooong time yet. Yes you may install your os via USB, you may transport everything via USB, you may even use ISOs to play games instead of discs. But in most situations optical discs are a fantastic way to permanently back up data, give data to clients, a cheap way to transport and give data to a colleague. they will be around for a very long time. Even if their application has altered.

I dont know of anyone or any companys using CD's to back up their data, they are too fragile and just a pain in the ass. Alot of places are still actually using tape drives (LOL). I just got back from a place now and their back up system backs up all their PC's (about 20), to a dedicated back up server then once that is finished the back up server backs up to an off site server via SFTP. The first backup protects against hardware failures etc, and backing up off site protects from fire / theft etc.

The only time I personally use a CD is to burn music on to play in someones car or something. But for myself my headunit has USB capability's aswell.

Backing up to CD just takes too long, and they are easily damaged. I always use USB drives to share data between friends, they are cheap as chips for a 4/8gb drive, hold much more compared to a CD and can be reused 1000's of times.

But yes, I think the CD will be around for a long time yet. Just like the 9pin serial port :)

Edited by polley

CDs are still used for a lot of promotional work, free-be's, user instructions etc as well.

I don't see a companies handing out little USB drives to consumers instead of CDs containing trouble shooting info and user manuals for a while, a long while, CD's are cheap and easy to mass produce.

Edited by Blackie

Yeah I guess. The only time I get a CD is when I buy a new piece of hardware, and I throw the CD and instructions out with it. Then download the latest software off the net for the device (the software on the CD is usually outdated anyway).

Guest Ari Gold

Second link - so apple have decided the best way to have everything at your fingertips is to have a few rows of desktop shortcuts? - f**k me that's cutting edge!

The point about the second link was the App store and the ability to automatically update software, just like in their iOS.

As usual, apple have packaged the idea very slickly, but it's nothing new.

I absolutely agree, but when they do pull the trigger on such things, everyone else sits up and listens, I guess we can thank their world leading marketing department for that. Look at every idea that apple has either bullied or flat out stolen from people, and they're usually industry standards these days (let's all ignore firewire, which went the way of betamax).

But in most situations optical discs are a fantastic way to permanently back up data, give data to clients, a cheap way to transport and give data to a colleague. they will be around for a very long time. Even if their application has altered.

Apple has managed a way to mass produce a media format that was previously more expensive to produce than CD's - a flash drive is now cheaper than a CD to whack out - let that sink in. They wouldn't have done it otherwise - this is a company that thrives on profit, look at their laptop prices.

It might seem like early days, but as mentioned previously, this has been on the cards for some time. CD's might be great to flick to a client / colleague / promo item, but their limitation has always been their size (70mins / 650MB - blu ray much larger obviously, but who has a blu ray player on their computer - everyone's got a USB port - they're obsequious, even notebook style computers have them).

Don't get me wrong, I adore the CD format as people who know me will attest, but when a format is outclassed, it dies. How many tapes do people still listen to?

I have to say i LOVE Apple not for the products in anyway but what Jobs has done to apple.

From running Microsoft to creating apple to selling it letting it die then buying it back to make some money.

And now to buy it again get past 2 lots of cancer and make it the largest techo business in the world he knows what he is doing.

Then again i would love to see what happens when he passes away, will it crash to the ground?

Guest Ari Gold

I have to say i LOVE Apple not for the products in anyway but what Jobs has done to apple.

From running Microsoft to creating apple to selling it letting it die to make some money.then buying it back

And now to buy it again get past 2 lots of cancer and make it the largest techo business in the world he knows what he is doing.

Then again i would love to see what happens when he passes away, will it crash to the ground?

I have highlighted the "holy sh*t are you from Palmerston or something?" bits

everyone's got a USB port - they're obsequious, even notebook style computers have them).

I think you mean ubiquitous, but I'm following you.

Don't let my banter fool you, I love that apple are doing this, it can only speed up what I think is a "killer app" for USB and data storage/transfer.

It will have huge benefits for end-users. No more will you require a DVD player/etc attached to your TV or home theatre. If you are not getting your content from the web (and lets face it, not everyone wants to for all content), all you need is a USB-equipped TV or home theatre (or for now - media player, but these will hopefully be incorporated into tv's and home theatre units), and you plug in your USB movie - presto.

With the advent of high-speed broadband for all users (not just those close to the handful of existing fibre cabinets) downloading content will be the primary method of obtainign it. But some other "hard" format is likely to still always be required in some way shape or form. At least in the foreseeable future with current technology.

I have highlighted the "holy sh*t are you from Palmerston or something?" bits

Yeah agree, this one goes in the not sure if serious basket

I don't think you can assign one manufacturer the ability to kill an industry standard device.

Totally agree with a couple of the posts above, this was happening way before Apple made this announcement.

I don't think you can assign one manufacturer the ability to kill an industry standard device.

Totally agree with a couple of the posts above, this was happening way before Apple made this announcement.

Apple have killed and spawned a few things in their history - including their own products!! They may not do it single handedly, but they are usually the tipping point for something to grow. Things like Mouse, GUI, SCSI, Laser printing, Digital Cameras, PDAs, Modern laptop design, USB, iPod, iPhone, iPad......the list goes on. Many of these items were around before Apple used them - but they certainly became mainstream after Apple adopted them!

Jobs says the reason why they have to think this way is because their R&D team doesn't have the huge budgets to back every horse - they have to pick one horse and make it succeed because they actually don't have a plan B.

I wouldn't want to be in the computer industry without Apple's influence.

Apple have killed and spawned a few things in their history - including their own products!! They may not do it single handedly, but they are usually the tipping point for something to grow. Things like Mouse, GUI, SCSI, Laser printing, Digital Cameras, PDAs, Modern laptop design, USB, iPod, iPhone, iPad......the list goes on. Many of these items were around before Apple used them - but they certainly became mainstream after Apple adopted them!

Jobs says the reason why they have to think this way is because their R&D team doesn't have the huge budgets to back every horse - they have to pick one horse and make it succeed because they actually don't have a plan B.

I wouldn't want to be in the computer industry without Apple's influence.

I do admire what Steve Jobs has done since his return.

He has taken a company that was pretty much circling the toilet into the second highest market cap on the NASDAQ. They have changed the game in many areas and left all of their competitors dead in the water and this is just another one on the list.... So many others have tried and failed to make tablet PC's work (I remember using one back in 1999) and yet as soon as Apple release one every man and his chihuahua is racing to get their version to market. They may not be the first to do something, but they do have the knack of making them work where others can't, making them profitable and mass marketable. Or maybe it really is that they just cant afford to fail.

How much is down to one man (Steve Jobs) is debatable, but I do find their solutions extremely elegant. Not just in their slick industrial design (which so many others try to copy and yet so often make a hash of), but the simplicity of the interface and operation. They are the masters of making things elegantly simple. Sure you can probably do more with another system and more buttons if you know what you are doing, but the user friendliness for the non-expert goes out the window.

I totally agree that it would be a different (and inferior) industry without their influence.

Guest Ari Gold

...but I do find their solutions extremely elegant. Not just in their slick industrial design... but the simplicity of the interface and operation. They are the masters of making things elegantly simple.

Anyone remember the original iPod packaging? That said all you needed to know about the company.

This Guy has been as important as Steve Jobs to Apple.

Got to talk to him when he came to NZ a year or so ago. You can tell he is incredibly passionate about what he does.

Anyone remember the original iPod packaging? That said all you needed to know about the company.

You can tell he is incredibly passionate about what he does.

I'll bet - you just don't get such elegance without passion. Really iconic designs.