Sign in to follow this  
OLLIE

Clutch Master Cylinder

Once again an E30 master cylinder appears to have shat itself. atleast that is what my self diagnosis is.

I would like to rebuild it, replace the 2 rubber seals and the spring? (bore??)

Can anyone offer me some information or advice on this subject? .......

make sure you use a proper hone to clean up the bore..... they corrode (brake fluid draws in moisture like i repel women)

they get a bit rough with corrosion and then your new seals will just get all cut up.....

I reckon just to be sure, pull it apart before you bother getting a kit, just to see if its worth doing, or getting a new cylinder

yeah i have it (gus's old one) apart and everything appears to be fine except the spring inside looks a bit mangled. what is the rubber bung on the side of the cylinder for?

where's the best place to get a cylinder kit from?

brake and trans (BNT) etc.... i find, in palmy at least, it's cheap as to go to the "one man band" type backstreet shops..... auto brake and clutch in palmy is cheaps as on stuff like this, even pads, shoes, clutches, right up to heavy truck type crap, is really cheap.... especially if yo blah on bullshit about being trade workshop or somethng lol

haha, I have no idea what the bung is...pic?

yeah i didnt do the hone on my old old one and it didnt work...ended up getting new one...the rubber bung is to take fluid from the resevoir

ollie loves clutches

the bore seems fine, the spring is in 3 pieces.

BNT 2moro

BNT also do full kit new cylinders as well as the recon kits. The recon kit includes the rubbers only.

I bought a new slave cylinder, as my old one had shat itself... The bore was corroded as fuk, and a rubber was screwed causing fluid to leak into the bellhousing.

Edited by Deftones

My advise is not to shag around with reco'ing such a important part of your clutch system.

It will fail, and it will always fail at the most unfortunate time.

Suck the fat one and buy a shiney new one man. You won't regret it, and it will be cheaper in the long run.

Flick your old one and acquired one on Trademe to some sucker for some cash back or beers :)

If dosh is a prob, PM me and I'll hook you up with trade and 20th month following payment.

Edited by 318is

BNT sell brand new slave cylinders for $30, brand new master cylinders for $50, and as CaM said they're a brilliant outfit.

$50 is nothing for a whole new master cylinder.

The master repair kit by itself is $20 from memory...no decision there really, buy the new one!!!

BNT sell brand new slave cylinders for $30, brand new master cylinders for $50, and as CaM said they're a brilliant outfit.

$50 is nothing for a whole new master cylinder.

The master repair kit by itself is $20 from memory...no decision there really, buy the new one!!!

my last quote for a master from BNT was $130....where you getting em at 50?

BNT quoted me $130ish for a new master and $28+gst for seal kit (not including spring)

why buy a new one? the only thing to go is the seals or the spring? so if you replace those and do a good hone then it's just as good as new. this will cost me only $10 for spring and seals - from a hydraulic shop.

does anyone strongly disagree??!/1?!?!?!?!??!11?1?1

i paid about $130 not long ago

@Ollie

do you like dumping the clutch? clutch kick mid corner?

Edited by m325i

Sorry Ollie

The Slave cylinder new is $50, the master repair kit $30, just got my prices all mixed up.

Given that the master is $130 (BMW sell it for $180 I recall) it's still not that bad. The repair kits only have the seals and not the springs.

Tough decision, i'd just replace the master so you don't have to do it in the future :)

anyway its rebuilt.....in tomorrow...onwards and upwards

and M325i, why would clutch dumps mid corner be bad for the master? or slave? if that

s what your implying?

i paid about $130 not long ago

@Ollie

do you like dumping the clutch? clutch kick mid corner?

Haha occasionaly when the time feels right.... why do you ask?

My master cylinder shat itself a while ago, i only did a quick fix, no hone. Now I think its playin up again so I'll do it properly this time with a hone etc. As for the recon kits, they cost about 25 with BMW club discount however mine was a little different and some of the seals didn't fit. I ended up buying 2 random seals off BNT instead for about 2 bucks each. You don't use half of the seals you get with the kits. Just buy the individual seals.

As for new master cylinders the best price i found was $100 from hutt city auto parts.

My master cylinder shat itself a while ago, i only did a quick fix, no hone. Now I think its playin up again so I'll do it properly this time with a hone etc. As for the recon kits, they cost about 25 with BMW club discount however mine was a little different and some of the seals didn't fit. I ended up buying 2 random seals off BNT instead for about 2 bucks each. You don't use half of the seals you get with the kits. Just buy the individual seals.

As for new master cylinders the best price i found was $100 from hutt city auto parts.

I should point out that the seals you get from BNT in the repair kits look completely different to the used seals when you compare them together as the used ones will have stretched something chronic, don't just assume that they're incorrect!!!

No trust me, they were completly different. The BNT person agreed with me, there was no way they were going to fit.

well i rebuilt it and it's running well, so far.