Sign in to follow this  
swordfish

BMW M95 Euro STRANGE NOISE!

hello guys,

on tuesday evening i was driving my car (M3 95 Euro) out on the street and suddenly very strange noise came out of nowhere! So i have stoped the car and had a look around... Found nothing. The noise appear to be coming from the back, only happens when driving in 3rd and 4th gear mainly however sometimes appear in the second as well, in the lover rev range (1500 to 2300). The noise tends to arise when you drive at a contstant speed and tends to go away if you push the accelerater or when the revs get too low or when clutch i pressed. The nature of the noise: it is like a ruttling noise, like if someone would attach a stick to the drive shaft and it would hit the body everythime it goes through one point. We have had a look under the car, on that rubber bit that connects the part of the drive train to the gear box (it looks like new!!!) all the other visible things tend to be good as well. I really need help! What could it be?

Cheers.

I've had what seems like the same thing and it was the exhaust touching the subframe bolt.

If it was me i'd jack the car up and give everything a good shake about in the rear suspension. Check rear shock mounts and trailing arm bushes.

Rubber bit is the guibo

Hope you can find it.

I've had what seems like the same thing and it was the exhaust touching the subframe bolt.

If it was me i'd jack the car up and give everything a good shake about in the rear suspension. Check rear shock mounts and trailing arm bushes.

Rubber bit is the guibo

Hope you can find it.

ok thanks alot!!! will do...!! because I wouldn't beleive that bmw diffs would go so bad so fast... i mean i have just over 100k on the clock... most of the e30 would have a good working diff after 200k. plus the noise began just suddenly, and now wouldn't stop. i was standing on the car park today and i think i did hear the same slight noise coming from the back, so you might be right.

Take me for a drive tonight, we'll try to see what it is

Take me for a drive tonight, we'll try to see what it is

will text you later tonight then.

I had a similar problem. Could of sworn the noise was coming from the back, was worse when turning right instead of left, and went away when de-acclerating / braking. Sounded quite similar to when I blew up my diff, so thought I might have done that again or buggered a CV.

Turned out the front left wheel was loose.

Had a listen last night, even put myself in the boot haha. Can anyone tell what does the buggered cv sound like?

Quite possibly the diff, same thing for me, if you put your foot on the clutch while driving does it get louder? Deceleration and clutching was when i could hear mine, but in all gears.

I know my car ain't no M3, but I have a VERY similar noise, not even my mechanic could find it.

Its low in the rev range, more like a sharp rattle coming from the back, is worse over bumps :S

Thought of another one early m3's are known to have a problem with dropping bolts that go from the lsd centre to the ring gear

Thought of another one early m3's are known to have a problem with dropping bolts that go from the lsd centre to the ring gear

Ha didn't know that was common, happened to mine but one bolt f**ked the crown wheel.