Sign in to follow this  
BMW POWER

European Number Plates

I have seen the ones Gus and Andrew have got, and i quite like them. :bowdown:

I have been to www.europlates.com, and have typed in the current rego of the car (UP****) but the picture won't load for some reason.

I am looking to buy a 21" authentic German plate for the E39, but am seeking advice on what to do about it.

If i buy a pair, and it is EXACTLY the same numbers as the current rego, can the olds be done for anything?

With the kiwi number plates that are currently on the car, do you just put them in the boot or something? (just incase a pig comes running and wants to see the origs)

Do i have to get a special kiwi sticker or anything to put on it?

If there are any other things i should be aware of, especially legal things, can someone please tell me...

And yes, i have thought of exchange rate and shipping ;)

Thanks in advance,

Emma.

yeah the preview thing didnt work for me either......i carry my old ones round with me, i seriously doubt it would get me out of a ticket if a cop was that anal to make a point of it in the first place, but i do what i can. no probs as of yet, but nothing guaranteed. my main concern is if i get pulled over for something else, but unproveable, the cop can use my plates as a ticketing offence

Cheers Gus.

Roughly how much was it to convert the $27.95 x 2 plates to NZD? Also how long did it take to ship over here, and was the shipping dare? Any wiring fee for the $$ transfer?

Sorry i'm shooting all these questions, just want to get it all right before i rush out and buy one.

first set was bout 2 or 3 weeks, the 2nd set took just over a week....ended up working out to $80nz ish all up.....i used credit card

technically they are not allowed, but it is up to the cop to get you really. The LTSA prescribe the size, font and type of plates alowed, and if you talk to PLATES, they say they are the only people allowed to get diff plates.

However, there is no shortage of people with europlates, and home-made jobbies/ decals so obviously there is some leniency. It would be up to the cop on the day, and like Gus says, it may be used as a ticketing offence because he/she can't find anything else to get you on.

I am thinking of getting some soon, but haven't decided.

credit card is the safest way to buy online(other than paypal and its variants).

there are exchange rate calculators on the internet and add about 2.5% for an exchange fee charged by your credit card company.

Cheers G and Gus

Will talk to Dad about it all. Then i might ring the LTSA (anonomously of course) and ask about it.

The other option would be to get a re plating of the current rego on the car to a europlate.. which would cost around $200.. but whats the point of that when you can get the real thing for about $50 NZD?

Cheers G and Gus

Will talk to Dad about it all. Then i might ring the LTSA (anonomously of course) and ask about it.

The other option would be to get a re plating of the current rego on the car to a europlate.. which would cost around $200.. but whats the point of that when you can get the real thing for about $50 NZD?

Hey if you ever ring up ltsa can you enquire about black plates for me .. hehe ...

Black plates on white letterwing (from this site)

They look quite evil (black plates) although it may make your car look old (no offense) because back in the day (1980 or something) they had white lettering on a black background.

I have contacted europlates and asked them if they could get the preview working, and i also asked about bulk discounts (just incase any of you guys want to do a groupie buy)

Ive spoken to the LTSA at some length about these plates and as far as they are concerned there is no other choice but to buy their own plates.

That is after all the only legal way of doing it. I believe they use a specific font set that is not used elsewhere.

There is also the intention to bring in cameras that read your plate automatically rather than the current 'manual' method (yep, some bloke with a magnifying glass with an error rate of 20%) so they are even more unlikely to allow plates with a different font set.

The euro ones look fantastic on BMW's but I just dont fancy having to pay 250 dollars for one with a kiwi flag on it !

For anyone wanting to do money conversions check out Currency Converter :D

just dont get nailed by a speed cam, as you will get that speeding ticket and a nice fine in the mail for the wrong plates also...

Guest Andrew

just dont get nailed by a speed cam, as you will get that speeding ticket and a nice fine in the mail for the wrong plates also...

I also wonder if the europlates would work on camera - especially at nite.. the black font is nearly as reflective as the white.

I've just ordered mine and they're due to arrive on my 21st birthday (27th) which is cool :P .

I've seen a number of cars around with them on, there's a white E46 with 19" BBS mags for sale at Wingers at the mo with these plates on too. I was thinking about getting the BMW sticker made for it - like on Kiwi Euros so it looks a bit like a kiwi one - dunno yet, will see when I get it.

Andy/Gus, what's the story come WOF time, do you guys do a Tim and remove all illegal items such as the plates in order to get the WOF or do they not check license plate validity???

I just failed a WOF on Saturday, 1 engine mount nut was missing, another competely loose. Also have to replace another wheel bearing!!!

So basically the answer is no if i don't want to get the olds pinged?

So long as the originals are in the back, does it really matter, because the numbers are going to be EXACTLY the same as what they are now..

Edited by BMW POWER

Emma, i can't see your parents having the same problems with the cops that tim, gus, andy etc would have. The only problem i can see is what sic said, regarding camera fines.

yes, when it comes to WOF time all the 'grey area stuff' comes off and tried and true stuff goes back on. execpt for my centre rear lap belt which just stays out.

i carry my proper plates in my boot with tools to change the plates over at request of the po po, if need be. i havent had any problems with my plate so far. And my car isnt one to go unnoticed when driving thou town.

Emma, have you checked here?

I've got mine from them, they make NZ replica plates complete with the NZ and fern on the plates. Click on the customer cars link and scroll down, you'll see my E39.

One thing that'll make your plate more noticeable is the 0 won't be crossed like on NZ's one, but hey who's gonna notice something as small as that apart from car nuts like us :)

I might look there too.

They have a "plate girl"! cool idea, now if only she was hotter. :P

Emma, have you checked here?

I've got mine from them, they make NZ replica plates complete with the NZ and fern on the plates. Click on the customer cars link and scroll down, you'll see my E39.

One thing that'll make your plate more noticeable is the 0 won't be crossed like on NZ's one, but hey who's gonna notice something as small as that apart from car nuts like us :)

Hey 318Touring

Quite keen on getting a NZ rep from this place.. is shipping a mint (coming from the USA)? Cos i just got a reply from plates.co.nz quoting $500 for the plate i designed, and i really don't want Dad paying that much for a piece of metal.

Nice car as well :mosh:

I'm keen on some euro number plate surrounds if anyone does decide to go ahead with a set. Let me know and I can deposit $$$.

yea those ones do look quite legit.

the 5-0 wud have to look twice to snap ya.

is it the same reflective sh*t?