Sign in to follow this  
Zombie

Ugh Premium Selection warranty Crap!

Correct. There's always a list.

Geez, this thread makes me sad for the future.

I can understand the "whys" for having the systems as they are, but they look to all be driven by profit for the car company with the inevitable result of screwing over the end user. It doesn't help that the end user who is typically going to be screwed as time goes on is not the first owner and hence arguably not a priority for the car company.

Back to the original topic - I'd say unless they can demonstrate otherwise from the contract you should be covered for anything required to get the car going again (the coding looks like a consequential requirement of repairing the alternator).

If there could be a problem with coding, I reckon there are only three possible people at fault:

- you

- the service agent

- BMW, its parts or its technology.

I can't see how it can possibly be you. Let Team McMillan and BMW argue if they stuff it up. "It just happens sometimes" shouldn't be your problem - it should be one of their's.

I've used my premium selection warranty once which was for a glow plug, never had any issues with it. Mine is the one coupled with the servicing for 24 months. I was under the impression that it was a BMW warranty but it's a Protecta???

hmm very interesting! i think ill stick with the good old e39 :D

Yeah, E39s are great.

Especially when the alternator seizes, takes the belt and belt tensionor with it and breaks the powersteer pump and its mounts.

Yeah, E39s are great.

Especially when the alternator seizes, takes the belt and belt tensionor with it and breaks the powersteer pump and its mounts.

Was speaking more in relation to the Electronic management that M3 Power was talking about. Obiously the E39 still has it but is not as extreme as what you get new nowdays.

Yeah, E39s are great.

Don't ya just hate it when that happens! Plus when the water pump bearing shits itself and the fan then falls into the radiator causing that to then pop.

See I don't mind that sort of thing. I mean, its not ideal that one part failing can cause several to fail through a bit of collateral damage, but it would be a big ask for cars to be designed to avoid that sort of problem in all circumstances.

I dunno, maybe I'm just disillusioned, but these are supposed to be quality cars.

Having an alternator seize solid at 130000k isn't what I call well engineered.

And what kind of mastermind came up with a system that can render parts of a car useless with a software upgrade? Bunch of tecnogeek retards imo (if correct anyway).

OP, I've found Andrew at TM good to deal with too, try talking to him.

When you actually work on them and do the coding/software upgrades it's actually quite interesting how it all works, i'd call them technology masterminds if anything, in the nearly one of working for JG i've only seen one module sh*t it self and that was human error, if anything the coding/software upgrades make a good car even better.

Oh dont come in here being all reasonable and sh*t, I was enjoying my little rant and you just went and killed it.

I'm extremely sorry, can you ever forgive me???

That's all i ask Tony, that's all i ask.

You do realise that BMW doesn't actually make alternators - there are loads of components within a car that are made by third party suppliers - almost all sensors are, alternators, batteries, ancilliary components, suspension arms, shocks, springs, seat motors, just to name a few (just because it came in a pretty BMW box doesn't mean that BMW actually made the part, more often then not it's just a rebranded item that are shared throughout the car manufacturers - I remember looking up a part that was on a BMW only to find that it was shared with a VW and you could pick one up from the VW parts department for less than 1/4 of what BMW was charging). If anybody is to blame I'd blame the third party suppliers.

(much like the hyped S54B32 big end bearings - that wasn't a BMW issue, but a third party supplier issue).

I can sympathise with the service department actually - I know for a fact that they have been burned once in the past over a vehicle that somebody brought in where one single module had been messed with elsewhere in the past and when updated it pretty much 'f**ked' the car over resulting in them buying a new module or two just to fix it. It's a no win situation for them and the customer - the customer is none the wiser about what has previously been done to the car by previous owners or mechanic and the dealership is no wiser until they plug their factory authorised system in to update.

What compounds the problem further is the third party extended warranty and the way some of these dealerhips are structured. Often, dealerships are not one, but multiple entities - i.e. the service department is a separate individual to the parts and to the new cars and to the used cars - so they don't actually co-operate with each other despite the fact they all operate under one banner - they are individual companies or subsidiaries there to make a profit, so one department won't help out another just for absolutely no reason.

They also rely on the third party warranty company to honour what they've signed up to and often these companies don't (much like the Insurance industry - the less the payout the better the bottom line). The Service department guys are the ones stuck in a rock and a hard place trying to be diplomatic between the customer and the warranty company.

My word of advice, approach the person you are dealing with with proper logical reasoning and respect - it'll go a long way than trying to throw a tantrum at them too. Try and get them on your side to help you.

p.s. I've made numerous claims under the Premium selection warranty on the CSL and not once have I encountered an issue. It comes down to your understanding of the way the so called 'warranty' works and your attitude towards the service personnel trying to help you. (Not saying that you are being difficult in this situation, but just what I've found to work in the past, so thought I'd put in my 2 cents)

Edited by M3_Power

Very correct and well said Tom.

The word "respect" being a highlight

STOP BEING SO GODDAM REASONABLE!

What the hell am I gonna bitch about now.....

STOP BEING SO GODDAM REASONABLE!

What the hell am I gonna bitch about now.....

You could focus on:

I remember looking up a part that was on a BMW only to find that it was shared with a VW and you could pick one up from the VW parts department for less than 1/4 of what BMW was charging).

Meanwhile:

I can sympathise with the service department actually - I know for a fact that they have been burned once in the past over a vehicle that somebody brought in where one single module had been messed with elsewhere in the past and when updated it pretty much 'f**ked' the car over resulting in them buying a new module or two just to fix it. It's a no win situation for them and the customer - the customer is none the wise about what has previously been done to the car by previous owners or mechanic and the dealership is no wise until they plug their factory authorised system in to update.

I agree - its a no-win situation for TMBMW and the customer. This is a special circumstance but the reason the problem arises is still BMW's doing. Arguably needless complexity seems to be anybody but BMWs responsibility...

Totally agree with treating the relevant people with respect - no reason not to do this in all circumstances.

Actually I do feel like adding a rant - why does my gearbox have "lifetime fluid" written on it (in 1996)? I guess that's true - if you never replaced the fluid it will last the lifetime of the box. Probably a short lifetime. Should I not have a lifetime warranty to go with my lifetime fluid?

Edited by CamB

I'm starting to wonder with the new cars, is the lifetime of a new car just the first 3 years while its under warranty ? Not just BMW, but most Euro cars start shitting themselves gradualy after the first 4 years...some start earlier though.

christ... How are people looking to buy a cheap second hand BMW going to be able to afford to maintain these modern BMWs 10-15 years down the line when the km's have been clocked up ?

Simple, don't buy one.

I'm starting to wonder with the new cars, is the lifetime of a new car just the first 3 years while its under warranty ? Not just BMW, but most Euro cars start shitting themselves gradualy after the first 4 years...some start earlier though.

I am fairly sure that a lot of the modern cars are purposely engineered to last only a certain number of years to ensure a good turn around time for the manufacturers in terms of selling new cars. Like the old saying goes - they don't build them like they used to.

christ... How are people looking to buy a cheap second hand BMW going to be able to afford to maintain these modern BMWs 10-15 years down the line when the km's have been clocked up ?

It's part of the world wide business model for car manufacturers to ensure that their dealerships retain as much servicing from cars made by that manufacturer - this has been made much easier to do now with the advent of highly complex control modules and systems that interact with each other. Similarly with function activations. It is the reason why the EU and the States have passed specific legislations to try and prevent these sort of anti-competitive practices by ensuring that codes and programs are not exclusively out of reach by third party suppliers. The very latest stuff however can be prohibitively expensive to acquire though.

My take on this is it's a doubled edged sword and the manufacturers if being over zealous will eventually kill off their own loyal supporters by making it ever harder and more expensive to repair and maintain their brand of vehicles - it'll be a number crunching game in the end to see who wins out.

Edited by M3_Power

Actually I do feel like adding a rant - why does my gearbox have "lifetime fluid" written on it (in 1996)? I guess that's true - if you never replaced the fluid it will last the lifetime of the box. Probably a short lifetime. Should I not have a lifetime warranty to go with my lifetime fluid?

Now ya getting into the spirit of things.

Further more, if you are a BMW service agent connected to a BMW dealership, then it is your problem to sort. Noones holding a gun to their heads. Cant handle the heat, get out the bloody kitchen.

And as for parts prices, there are plenty of examples of identical parts made for other manufactures that are much cheaper. BMW parts dept are to blame for this.

I dont think I will buy a post E46/39 BMW.

I feel better.

Think I'll get me one of these.

Posted Image

If it breaks down I can shoot it.