Sign in to follow this  
polley

E32 Stuck in reverse

So ive managed to destroy all foward gears in my e32. I need to drive it approx 150km, somthing I dont want to do in reverse. Cam I just drill and tap some holes in the diff, turn it upside down, effectively giving me 1 foward gear.

Why not buy a case of whiskey...hire a hooker and forget you ever owned a BMW

Tow the f**king thing with a rope [ but remember to disconnect the driveshaft so you don't wreck the gearbox ]

If thats too much effort, change the firing order so the motor spins over backwards

GET a tow truck :blink:

Sounds expensive

Tow the f**king thing with a rope [ but remember to disconnect the driveshaft so you don't wreck the gearbox ]

If thats too much effort, change the firing order so the motor spins over backwards

Dont really have a suitable vehicle to tow it with. Gearbox is wrecked already ^_^

Yeah, I have thought about converting it, but it is quite nice having an automatic car, easier to drive and eat burger king etc.

Right, on a more serious note. I believe the gearbox in it is a 4HP22EH, I have another one of these from an E30. Providing the electrical plug is the same (i've read there are some differences between them), is it possible to swap the front half (bell housing part) from the e32 one to the good e30 one.

If you're serious....

We dont even know what e32 you're talking about...

That poor car lol, hope its being driven 150kms to get fixed!

No mates with cars and tow-ropes? That must be one rooted transmission if its only got reverse left.

That poor car lol, hope its being driven 150kms to get fixed!

No mates with cars and tow-ropes? That must be one rooted transmission if its only got reverse left.

Yeah, it's not worth much broken.

Yeah, but I dont think they will be able to tow it over the kaimais, and I'd prefer not to tow it that far anyway.

yes e30 ones could be used if teh plugs and rear shaft out put are teh same , swap the bell housing over etc .

last resort you could put older type in with manual kick down cable but i think they suck .

better to swap the whole lot out for a manual conversion .

try brian roberts or car haul aways etc

tauranga to papakura about $200-250 etc

mmm, E30 4hp22

you will need to change bell housing

tailshaft housing

and output flange

and if you change to kickdown cable version, you may need to alter cooler lines

and sort out trans program error on the check controller

did one recently

manual convert, would make it interesting to drive

Edited by Jono51

A few other things that are different, shift selector mechanism is on opposite sides, also e30 is linkage type and e32 is cable type. I think the cable is going to be too short to go on the other side of the box as well.

A few other things that are different, shift selector mechanism is on opposite sides, also e30 is linkage type and e32 is cable type. I think the cable is going to be too short to go on the other side of the box as well.

cable is too short

cable is a minor hiccup, have the parts needed to make it work if you get stuck

Yeah cable is too short and the mounting bracket for the cable to go onto the gearbox wont fit because the bolt holes are rotated 90 degrees.

Im using a camaro cable I modified to work, but it is a piece of sh*t.

I would be interested in what you have to make it work.

Cheers.