Sign in to follow this  
Nate

Do BMW owners get less respect on the road?

Well, do they?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Marty I'm definitely with you on this one.

While there are some genuine reasons why some families get these full size 4x4s, (eg they need 7 seats AND room in the back to put stuff) the vast majority do not. Ironically the 4x4 has become a status symbol.

Interestingly it used to be the Mitsi Pajero LWB & Landcruisers that were the shopping-mobiles (for the urban jungle) but as more & more come in from Japan, the status level has changed up to the X5 or M-class.

My reasons for disliking 4x4s:

1. Poor fuel efficiency

2. Poor road handling

3. Poor visibility for other drivers

4. False impression of improved safety

There was a motoring journalist not long ago who was advocating shortening parking spaces around Auckland to try & keep the SUVs out. That is until someone pointed out a Camry Wagon is longer than most full size 4x4s!

Thankfully its not as bad here as it is in the USA. The volumes of SUVs being sold over there relative to cars is quite horrific. :angry:

Oh great someone else telling people they cant have an opinion !

For me, length has nothing to do with it  :pimp: After all my 740 is probably as long as most of the 4x4's you see on the city streets.

The overriding message that comes across when you ask someone why they drive one of these bohemoths in the city is safety. They feel safe driving something built like a tank because they are up high and out of the way.

That may be nice for them but the poor sod they hit is in alot more trouble than if they were in a 'normal' sized car. Ive seen plenty of near misses this week alone where 4x4's have double parked on the Terrace and its been hell trying to get around them simply because drivers in 'normal' cars cant see passed them.

The parking outside my daughters kindy is embarrasing simply because the machines are so big and the drivers so small that they cant see the kerbs or how close they are to other vehicles.

There is one woman where I work who is so short (and driving a massive pajero) that she cant see when she reverses. She needs someone else to watch her reverse out of the space so she doesnt hit something behind her.

Tell me that isnt a reason for her to not be in one in the first place !

Fair enough, but vans are just the same. Quite a lot of families still get around in L300s and Hiaces, and its just as bad to see round a Previa etc, so picking on just SUVs alone isn't really fair.

While there are some genuine reasons why some families get these full size 4x4s, (eg they need 7 seats AND room in the back to put stuff) the vast majority do not

Don't stop there, I'm sure the majority of V8 luxury car drivers don't need a V8. hell, what the f**k am I doing in a 5 series, being a 17 y/o still living at home. I should be in a little Suzuki or something, cos just like a lot of families in your example, in reality I don't need a large 6cyl car. Be consistent, fellas.

How boring life would be if we only had things that we needed. :beer:

Edited by E30_318i

Yes and you are also entitled to your desires to try & wind people up :P

And you definitely shouldn't be driving a 525, after all that is a classy car. That would be like Robert De Niro driving a Nissan Micra, its just wrong baby.

a van or a previa or similar is what they should be in if they want a seven seater,cheaper to run and prolly a nicer drive too, and safer for them and us....

Yes and you are also entitled to your desires to try & wind people up :P

And you definitely shouldn't be driving a 525, after all that is a classy car. That would be like Robert De Niro driving a Nissan Micra, its just wrong baby.

hahaha

Guest Andrew

I get more repect from Honda drivers than i get from E30 drivers.

thats cause people like me enjoy pwning people like you in dirty old e30s that look like 318s hah

Guest Andrew

a van or a previa or similar is what they should be in if they want a seven seater,cheaper to run and prolly a nicer drive too, and safer for them and us....

Land Rover Discover 3.. or Presia ..

a lot of cars don't handle as well as disco 3.. No other 4x4s do. I love SUVs they are badass.

I don't get grief from anyone,

Just the occasional Thumbs up from old dudes!!

:lol:

Maybe its the Luxorbeige?

Luxorbeige pimps all.

:pimp:

w3rd

this is so true, the reaction i normally get is mouth wide open and a lustful look in their eyes, they're like whoaa that is sooooo pimp!

I don't get grief from anyone,

Just the occasional Thumbs up from old dudes!!

:lol:

Maybe its the Luxorbeige?

Luxorbeige pimps all.

:pimp:

YUP

most of my hood does not like my car cause it's too lould and i got to work at 5am in the morning. so go figure?

but the funny thing is that there's a cop's daugther around the corner from me and she likes my car and her dad gave me a notice saying my car is too lould.

"Hi, im here to pick up your daughter?" :lol:

Land Rover Discover 3.. or Presia ..

a lot of cars don't handle as well as disco 3.. No other 4x4s do. I love SUVs they are badass.

w3rd. dads pimpin ex demo one, eitha diesal or the new quad OHC (finally) V8

he cant decide