Sign in to follow this  
Linden

Starter motors

Hey guys ive run into a bit of strife, when my flywheel broke the stretched ringring gear attacked my starter motor, in the process of getting a new one I have run into the following problems,

(m20 flywheel, m50, e36 zf 5sp box)

starter motor 1 too big and chunky and hits the m50 block so wont go in.

starter motor 2 right size but wont engage the flywheel

Running m20 flywheel and i noticed the one i had in there originally had smaller teeth and 10 of them, the 2 ive got to try make work have 9 slightly chunkier teeth.

Original is 10teeth

Marelli

E70R14/12

Any ideas anyone?!

looks like this (found on ebay) http://i.ebayimg.com/16/%21B8Dl%218%21Bmk%...21%7E%7E_12.JPG

When you use the m20 flywheel behind the m50, you have to gut the m50 starter and put the m20 starter gear bits inside it.

Think I saw a complete step by step write up on rev

I just ground a chunk outta the rib on the block, big old skool starter bolts up fine to the M50/260.

the later m20 engines use a smaller starter like form a face lift 320i 325i or 34 520i 525i m20 type

Try this and report back.

Back the starter bolts off till the locating pin at the top of it is clear.

Slip a 1mm washer between starter and gbox housing over the locating pin so it doesn't fall in.

Tighten starter.

Start motor.

the later m20 engines use a smaller starter like form a face lift 320i 325i or 34 520i 525i m20 type

yup got one of those sent down but it wont engage (checked engaging without it bolting up

Try this and report back.

Back the starter bolts off till the locating pin at the top of it is clear.

Slip a 1mm washer between starter and gbox housing over the locating pin so it doesn't fall in.

Tighten starter.

Start motor.

tried this also with no success, for some reason the starter with the bigger teeth wont engage which leaves me stumped..

is the ringgear on a e36 flywheel slightly smaller in diameter than a m20 therefore starter starter sitting closer on the gearbox??

just got it turning over with original starter i had with the 10 smaller teeth and bolted the solonoid from another one on, too much rain now to finish though so ill have to report back later.

so my temp solution didnt work too well..

Alright so thought itd be easier to show you with pics,

one is the starter that ran in the car, the other is the m20 starter i got sent, as you can see the other 9tooth m20 starter doesnt bind with the ring on the flywheel???

m20 starter

post-1069-1297067262.jpg

10 tooth original running the car

post-1069-1297067252.jpg

What Brent said, we run a M20 flywheel in the M54B30 race car with a later small E30 320i starter with no problems at all.

Pretty sure you'll find the 9 tooth is from an M30, they have 9 teeth and a bigger tooth on the flywheel for them.

Edited by Silver Fox

Ok so I just did the logical thing and looked up the part numbers just to make myself look like an ass, the one I bought that is too fat to fit is m30, the other one that got sent from welly is m40 just my luck haha!

When you use the m20 flywheel behind the m50, you have to gut the m50 starter and put the m20 starter gear bits inside it.

Think I saw a complete step by step write up on rev

Or you could just use the small m20 starter.

Or you could just use the small m20 starter.

Correct, we didn't gut anything.

M30 and M40 starters will not work with the M20 flywheel, whomever sent you that has put you wrong

don't even bother swapping gears

like Brent has said, small M20 is what you need

give me a call if you get stuck, or someone else here will have a starter

cheers

Jon

Finally sorted and after that frustration the beast is back on the road, i cant believe the two starters i got (i asked for m20 on both) ended up being something else lol

Cheers for the input ;D

Next on the list is figuring out how to make a lsd have more lockup without paying the diff man excessive amounts of $$