Sign in to follow this  
Smac01

Christchurch quake (#2)

Condemned city? Will be huge/next to impossible to rebuild that?!

Have friends with family down there that have lost their homes etc.

Rain cant be helping either.....

Also heard a story on Radio Live of a women who was trapped under a desk, she had called her kids to say goodbye and was talking to Radio live when her phone died.. Bugger that. What a way to go..

Cruel blow for Christchurch. I hope all the affected chch BS members and their families can return to their normal lives as soon as possible.

On a slightly unrelated note, I took an order for 9 pizzas for John Key's office at work (hell pizza) last night.

our house is a write off. it's shifted off it's foundations by about 3 inches and now sit's on a pretty sketchy looking lean. parents cars are stuck in carpark buildings in the cbd (they ran home) so i loaded the family into the e30 and left christchurch for wanaka at about 11pm last night. hope everyone back in chch is staying safe.

the hotel grand chancellor is something to keep an eye on. I got to see it close up. something very weird about seeing one of the taller buildings in christchurch sitting on an obvious lean.

Yer, one side of it looks a foot lower. A 20 level hotel is leaning also... scarey stuff

These are the shops just around the corner from me. There is a lot of devastation around my block, At least my place is still standing and myself and missus are still alive and for that I am very thankful.

Posted Image

4.10pm: Superintendent Dave Cliff says there have been six arrests for theft and burglary today. People are again being told to stay away from the CBD.

Revolting

^ +1 along with the dude spreading the fake charity donation emails. Seriously disgusting wankers.

What is cool though is apparently they have over flowing supplies of water/food and blood, people are getting turned away from the blood banks.

Seen a lot today. Went biking towards the city at 9am.

Ahh f**k it, ill post the pics, not as terrifying as what is on the TV, but it'll show the widespread devastation that this has caused. Stay tuned

Ok, so naturally there's no way in hell you'll find me in the central city being a civilian, so no pics from in there, watch the news if you want to see that sh*t. If I could help I'd be in there digging. But here are some pics of the ride in.

Ooo just started this post and another one hits..

Uploading is not working. Click this.

https://picasaweb.google.com/henrypbarrett/...istchurch22210#

our chch office is in the Pyne Gould building :(

this is our chch branch .. http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries...l-missing-staff

I can update that info ...

We had a phone conference at lunch time with the CEO and executive leadership team from Auckland, and the various offices around the country.

2 of the 3 mentioned Marsh employees are still unaccounted for, but they were last seen in the building before the quake hit, so not looking good, but still holding out hope for them

The 3rd person mentioned in the article has passed away, unconfirmed, but our CEO spoke to his wife and she said that she was told of his death by the emergency workers. What is really unfortunate about this is that he was over from one of our Australian offices helping out the claims team with the September earthquake.

appreciate the sentiment but not your shoe bottoms

Not digging at you but it should be SOUL

Thought I would add a website so you can see visually what has been shaking

http://www.christchurchquakemap.co.nz/

I hardly think it's the greatest time to pick at spelling or grammar!

Revolting

It sure is, people need to video the F@#$ers than vigilante their asses later!

Ok so I've got power today, no water though and fkn exhausted!

I was at work in the bottle store at the time which is centered approximately halfway between the CBD and the epicentre... I had unloaded about 10 pallets of beer into the chiller and was unloading some more boxes as it hit, standing in the middle of our U shaped shelving for spirits with pallets of booze blocking my exit I had no choice but to step up and hold on as thousands of bottles of spirits fell around me as I watched my fellow staff members try to escape, there was about 1ft deep of broken glass and bottles around me so thankfully I had a halfpallet to step up onto.

It was like watching people who had been spinning in circles dizzied after 5 minutes run in a straight line, my two workmates falling over in an attempt to get out, one of our reps who is pregnant ran for the door and went flying sideways into our tills and has massive bruising up her arm.

As it starts to calm down a little I had my chance to get to the door seeing the massive brick buildings across the road from us crumble and clouds of dust fill the streets,

After about 5 minutes of being outside and people in hysterics and chaos I hear yelling and see a man over at the 24hr Night and Day almost throwing blows, as I go over I find its over a bottle of water he ran in and grabbed and refused to pay for, the shopkeeper was demanding for him to pay for it (a good thing as others looked like they were about to follow suit and raid the place) thankfully nobody got any fists in the head..

Later in the evening as my boss popping into work again I got a text saying looters so I instantly hopped in the car with the forgetme stick and my flatmate and shot down there.. A couple of local customers (live about 300m away) had jimmied the side of the rear roller door open and were trying to get beer out to the other guy..

So after some hard work of putting 4 empty pallets on their edge 2 high 2 wide and stacking up some pallets and pushing them against the door it was finally secure, 20 minutes later I was outside (the alcohol fumes are killer!) having a well deserved beer...

And thats pretty much how day one ended, lots of stuff in the middle like driving the subaru justy in 1m of water to get down flooded streets (thankgod for 4wd mode) but i deserve some sleep, if i can get any that is so ill tell you about the rest later...

Stay Safe

Linden

Stay strong Linden and good work,

Good luck with the sleep, hopefully Christchurch stays relatively still for the next few days to let those who need to sleep / rest get what is needed for the massive task ahead.

Ok, so naturally there's no way in hell you'll find me in the central city being a civilian, so no pics from in there, watch the news if you want to see that sh*t. If I could help I'd be in there digging. But here are some pics of the ride in.

Ooo just started this post and another one hits..

Uploading is not working. Click this.

https://picasaweb.google.com/henrypbarrett/...istchurch22210#

Mate, that's unreal. Hope you and yours stay safe.

this is our chch branch .. http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries...l-missing-staff

I can update that info ...

We had a phone conference at lunch time with the CEO and executive leadership team from Auckland, and the various offices around the country.

2 of the 3 mentioned Marsh employees are still unaccounted for, but they were last seen in the building before the quake hit, so not looking good, but still holding out hope for them

The 3rd person mentioned in the article has passed away, unconfirmed, but our CEO spoke to his wife and she said that she was told of his death by the emergency workers. What is really unfortunate about this is that he was over from one of our Australian offices helping out the claims team with the September earthquake.

Sorry to hear. Just found out today that a (recent) friend of ours was killed in one of the bus' that were crushed by debris.