Sign in to follow this  
martyyn

Home Theatre

I thinking about buying a small home theatre system and wondered if anyone had any experience in this ?

At the moment I just want something to last for a year or two, Ill be setting up the mother of all systems a little later but for now I need something to play the kids DVD's, watch some ourselves and play some music.

We dont have a huge room, but its already wired up with some very serious looking wires.

Id prefer satelite speakers to hang on the wall, but have plenty of space for speakers on stands if necessary.

Price wise I can spend anything up to a grand but if the best thing is 500 then Ill buy that.

All comments/recommendations welcome.

We brought this wicked home entertainment centre. Surround sound with all the nooks and crannies... including 6 cd/dvd stacker for $800. It was panasonic's other brand... 'Technics'. Works great.

I believe it is the newer version than http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics/Stere...on-26058584.htm

Edited by E30stz

Now with only 5 hundy to spend, and it being a "stop-gap" system, a component system is out of the question as you know, so obviously you're on the right track looking at a HTIAB (Home Theatre In A Box). My folks bought a 5-disc Phillips with tall uprights and satellite speakers that has plenty of inputs for sky etc and built in tuner. I don't find it the easiest one to use - sometimes it is damn frustrating, but it is a good unit for slightly over the grand.

I have a smaller phillips unit that I bought for a spare for my bedroom due to a space problem for $600 - it has now been moved into the lounge. It compared for volume with my whoring big sony system that cost three times as much five years ago except in the bass department which was quieter, but much more accurately reproduced and much tighter too (for a cheap system). It is way easier to use than my folks one, is single disc but also has a built-in tuner. Comes with four satellite speakers, centre and a sub.

Obviously if I could afford it I would build a decent system, but in the meantime, this one does the job. I'll get the model number for you and post it tomorrow.

what ever you do , dont buy a all in one home theatre system .

buy seperate components , at least if one one component fails or is low quality you can change it . or just buy 2nd hand good quality .

i work at stereo world , so if you want a good deal on new stuff give me a call .

09-6301204wk brent

I was in exactly your case about 6 weeks ago.

Had $1000 to spend, wanted satellite speakers as i don't have that bigger room, and wanted to be able to upgrade later.

I went down to Harvey Norman and had a look around, they had some good stuff, especially in their clearance pile.

I ended up sifting through that and finding some Klipsch satellite speakers and bought a Panasonic receiver.

I didn't get a sub, but can always get that later when i get a bit more $.

In a small room, i have found (even though i love bass), i dont really need the sub and the speakers i got sound amazing.

One thing to watch out for though is the $$ of speaker cables and coax./ fibre optic cables and all that kinda stuff adds up pretty quick! haha

just got (last week) a Panasonic one from Harvey Norman down from $1000 to $750 or $800 cant remember

5 speakers and a sub ... + 2 mic inputs for karaoke haha.

works well.

... for karaoke haha.

Grant say it aint so.

Martyn, like the other guys are saying your budget isn't going to put together a proper component system, but I guess that isn't your plan at this stage.

Grant say it aint so.

Martyn, like the other guys are saying your budget isn't going to put together a proper component system, but I guess that isn't your plan at this stage.

Let me explain some more.

In a short while (as in next week) I will start earning some stupid money. They are willing to pay so who am I to refuse ?

Anyway, it will still be 6-8 months before Ive paid a few debts and sorted a few things out with the house etc, so for now my intention is to simply get an 'out of the box' system that will do most things half decently for the next 12 months.

After that I will be looking for either a whacking great plasma or projector and going the whole hog with seperate components etc.

For the moment Im thinking of this....

Panasonic HT878

Thanks for the comments so far guys....keep them coming.

it aint home theater but an x box or playstation 3 will play dvd,s and you have the option to useit a a game console too!!!Sony have a couple of compact affordable sysems..wander down to the big sony center cnr willis and lambton,they have a couple of home theater rooms too........for kater of course.Dont buy a plasma scren...lcd is the way to go.

LCD sux, and PLasma aint so great either, if you want the best quality picture stick to old school CRT.

You try watching compressed Sky with fast moving stuff on an LCD.

There are heaps of decent all in ones for under a grand. Find a few you like, google them for reviews. Its the best you can do without owning the system itself.

it aint home theater but an x box or playstation 3 will play dvd,s and you have the option to useit a a game console too!!!Sony have a couple of compact affordable sysems..wander down to the big sony center cnr willis and lambton,they have a couple of home theater rooms too........for kater of course.Dont buy a plasma scren...lcd is the way to go.

That was the first thing I considered but I just dont have an inclination to play console games :(

I have a force feedback wheel and pedals for my laptop and the games I can play on this kick a PS2 all down the street.

Sony has always been overpriced to me and Ive not had much luck in the past with walkmans/discmans etc. They have never lasted more than a year.

Ill check them out anyway just to get a feel.

Brent - obviously component is the way to go, but for a gran, even with hookups, well it just won't cut it now will it?

Even on a budget, to get the best bang for buck you need to think of like at least $500-$600 per component on average, with closer to a grand being better. At least from what i have listened to.

You can wang together a component system for a grand, but not usually as good value as the same box system.

Cam320 - how much were the klipsch satellites - klipsch make awesome speakers.

Liek I said - not exactly the ultimate system by any stretch, but amazingly good value for what you get is the Philips 3600D

Martyn

Heaven forbid me for saying this as i'm an audio nut but go down to LV Martin's in Melling and get a some componentry from them on a 12 month interest free deal. That way you can grab a decent setup for peanuts now then you can upgrade the pieces you want later on.

They do have some decent stuff, B&W, English Wharfedales (not to be confused with the Aiwa Wharfedales), DB Dynamics...Sony or Denon 7.1 systems...giant 42" plasma and lcd screens!

Martyn

Heaven forbid me for saying this as i'm an audio nut but go down to LV Martin's in Melling and get a some componentry from them on a 12 month interest free deal. That way you can grab a decent setup for peanuts now then you can upgrade the pieces you want later on.

They do have some decent stuff, B&W, English Wharfedales (not to be confused with the Aiwa Wharfedales), DB Dynamics...Sony or Denon 7.1 systems...giant 42" plasma and lcd screens!

I like B&W stuff .. my parents has them ... but they so costly ....$20k+ for a pair of speakers ...

But i think for a temporary cheap home theater system just go for a boxed one, since you have no intention on keeping it long or anything .....

Martyn, do you read the Tone magazine???

They always do write ups on systems and the like, perhaps look at some older mags and checkout which systems got the best bang for your buck rating...

Well seeing as everyone is telling me to not bother with an all in one. I may well just go for a dvd player right now and hold off for a while.

My wife is coming around to the idea of waiting and getting a prpoer system so perhaps Ill be spending up large sooner than I think :bounce:

Thanks for the help guys, guess Im on the look out for a dvd player now !

Still need some speakers and a cd player though, have wires in the kitchen that I want to hook up for music !

Brent, Ill be in touch when Im buying the components though, thanks for the offer. Can you give me a rough idea of what you would recommend and how much Id be looking at. Probably like asking how long a piece of string is I know. I wouldnt be looking for a system to blow the socks off everyone but it would have to be something seious.

If you were to consider the 7 series for example where the 750iL is king, Id be looking for a 740. Almost all the performance without the initial cost !

If you can handle it, and sont HAVE to hang your screen on the wall, (which is extrmemly cool, and better viewing height), get a 100mhz widescreen phillips CRT. The picture will be so much better and at half the price.

I have a 42" plasma and its good, in fact its wicked, but for the cash, id go CRT. My mates 32: LCD is also no good unless the input is super high quality.

get a 100mhz widescreen phillips CRT. The picture will be so much better and at half the price.

I left my 29' Panasonic 100Mhz Widescreen in England....kicking myself now of course, but that was possibly the best tv Ive ever watched.

The problem is that over here you only seem to be able to get widescreens in 32' and they are fcuking huge. Not the screen but the depth of the thing is massive, it takes half the room.

We want to have it as unobtrusive as possible, so the viewing pleasure will be a toss up between a dirty great plasma on the wall or a projector that can be hidden in the ceiling when were not watching it.

we have in our shop a sony componet system which retails for $999 . it has a slimline receiver , slim dvd player and a set of satalite speakers with a powered sub all the cables , doesn't sound to bad and an easy upgradable system with bigger speakers .

we would let one go for $850 cash

we have in our shop a sony componet system which retails for $999 . it has a slimline receiver , slim dvd player and a set of satalite speakers with a powered sub all the cables , doesn't sound to bad and an easy upgradable system with bigger speakers .

we would let one go for $850 cash

Ive sent you a PM mate.

Cheers

Martyn