Sign in to follow this  
chippies

microsoft scam

so some indian people just rang my home number and tried to scam me. they said that they were from the microsoft service center and said that my computer had been sending them warning messages and that my computer is in serious danger. they said they were from wellington, but that was highly unbelievable as the phone line was very crackly and the lady hardly spoke english, so i hung up on her. about 10 minutes later another man rang me talking about the same thing. they are trying to make you download a remote access program so they gain access to all your files and passwords.

i just wanted to inform you guys so none of you get hit by this scam.

google microsoft phone scam for more details.

Or act like a complete dumbass and mess with them.

Be a great laugh

We've had these guys ring nuermous times, so take up as much of there time as possible. What it is is they have a two tier system, they have plebs(salesman you may say) who will convince you of the problem, sending you to system messages that log errors that are common but they say are very harmful to your computer. They then pass you onto there grunts (technician) who starts to run you through the severity of hte problem and show you how to fix it. They get you into the command prompt and make you give them your windows details, then have you log into a remote connection website which they use to log in and out of there computer. Its a terrible scam but I suspect older generation wouldnt be fooled by it because its just too damn complex for them towork through.

i finaly got rid of them when they rung back for the 3rd time. by telling them there english was far too bad to be from a real microsoft service center.

Meh, had this a month or so ago.

Told them I didnt own a computer and to f**k off. I then hung up.

lol!! damn how do i get rung up by them!!. i wanna mess with them lol. "umm what is windows...?? im looking at my window now, its a bit dirty but will be right after a few mr clean"

We spent atleast an hour on the phone to three of those d*ck brains. Just kept saying ok hang on, left for about ten minutes and came back. Then just said gtfo.

We have an active group of tech minded friends working in various parts of the IT industry, this has become very very common.

One of this group got called so he made the most of it, he stalled the guy on the phone for a good 25min while he installed a fresh install of Windows XP into a virtual machine, he then proceeded to let this guy in and spent the next two hours logging everything the guy did, he took periodic snapshots of the system as he went just to screw with the guy so things this Indian did could be reversed in a few seconds.

i.e, when he declined / refused to purchase a support plan off them, using their remote access to his virtual machine they wiped all his info... which he returned a few min later.

So brand new install of Windows and this scammer is running through his procedure to show him he has a virus, installs a few tools onto the computer, runs some basic DOS Scripts to make it look like the computer is scanning the machine and cleaning stuff off.

We obtained a whole lot of information and ended up getting their payment site blocked by NZ ISPs for a few days till they switched hosts / DNS servers.

End result is this fella wasted many many hours of these scammers time and was a giant pain in the ass to them.

We have an active group of tech minded friends working in various parts of the IT industry, this has become very very common.

One of this group got called so he made the most of it, he stalled the guy on the phone for a good 25min while he installed a fresh install of Windows XP into a virtual machine, he then proceeded to let this guy in and spent the next two hours logging everything the guy did, he took periodic snapshots of the system as he went just to screw with the guy so things this Indian did could be reversed in a few seconds.

i.e, when he declined / refused to purchase a support plan off them, using their remote access to his virtual machine they wiped all his info... which he returned a few min later.

So brand new install of Windows and this scammer is running through his procedure to show him he has a virus, installs a few tools onto the computer, runs some basic DOS Scripts to make it look like the computer is scanning the machine and cleaning stuff off.

We obtained a whole lot of information and ended up getting their payment site blocked by NZ ISPs for a few days till they switched hosts / DNS servers.

End result is this fella wasted many many hours of these scammers time and was a giant pain in the ass to them.

Sounds easier to just tell them to f**k off and hang up.

They rang up a freinds flat the other day, he strung the operator along for a while before saying "Microcoft ay? Thats weird, we all use Mac's here"

Called my mother who runs Linux in the house.

She told him where to stick it in a couple different languages. I love my mum.

Here is a tip. Microsoft would not lift a finger to help you unless you pay up front. Nobody will.

Free Help = Being Scammed.

Here is a tip. Microsoft would not lift a finger to help you unless you pay up front. Nobody will.

Free Help = Being Scammed.

This.

Who in their right mind would put up with most retarded computer users for free?

This.

Who in their right mind would put up with most retarded computer users for free?

Damn I don't even put up with literate users for free.

Tell them you dont own a computer, it mindf**ks them.

lol i did this when they rang a few weeks ago. Hilarious. My work colleague spent ages pretending to do what they asked, but saying it didn't work. So they tried to "troubleshoot" why she couldn't access their download. Eventually they tried to get her to test her internet connection. "Oh, I don't have the internet". Lulz all round.

I got the same call about 4 months ago and quickly realised it was a scam...i 'uh huhed' and 'yeped' my way through an entire game of NFL (3 hours) with them on the line (and they stayed on) then i said "you are from microsoft and my windows has a problem right" and they replied "yes" and i told him i have an Apple that does not run windows...he hung up after that but i had him going near on 4 hours hahaha

I know its an old thread,

but seems they are doing it again. Came from an Auckland number but it was obviously linked somehow to India. Had them going for about 45 mins on the phone before telling them to f**k off and die.

Called the Auckland number and proceeded to do it to them, they didn't like that too much and have now reported the phone number to the Police and Xtra.

Wankers.

I know its an old thread,

but seems they are doing it again. Came from an Auckland number but it was obviously linked somehow to India. Had them going for about 45 mins on the phone before telling them to f**k off and die.

Called the Auckland number and proceeded to do it to them, they didn't like that too much and have now reported the phone number to the Police and Xtra.

Wankers.

I just got a 4 digit number for a caller id when they called me, if you got an actual number PM me and I will shut it down (yes I can do that) ;)