Sign in to follow this  
stylish_division

flush wheels for e46

Hey guys been a while but just got an e46 320i for a daily. I wouldn't mind some 17's or 18's for it. Have been away from the bmw scene for ages so please excuse my noobness. I am after wheels that will be flush with gaurds. Has anyone done this or know what specs i need... like offset and width. All the wheels on trademe seem to be x8 with 30ish offset.... my guess would be these wheels would sit inside the guard to much?

want to do something like this:

Posted Image

Posted Image

thanks in advance.

Spacers man if your going to go that low you can just get it all certed at the same time =D

Good Luck man!

Dont mind using spacers, but still need a rough estimate of wheel size that i can use with spacers. 18 x 8, 30ish offset allgood?

Posted Image

That's an M3, they have a different offset on the rear to standard E46's.

OP - to get that stance you will need coilovers and some serious guard work. Cert laws here mean that you can't run a very stretched tyre any more so you prob won't get it exactlyt like your pic.

Edited by zenetti

That's an M3, they have a different offset on the rear to standard E46's.

OP - to get that stance you will need coilovers and some serious guard work. Cert laws here mean that you can't run a very stretched tyre any more so you prob won't get it exactlyt like your pic.

Can you define "very stretched"?

215/45 on a 9" wheel?

215/45 on a 9" wheel?

A while back John (E30ftw) posted up a copy of the new tyre/rim width combinations. I am sure from memory you now have a have a 225 on a 9" wide rim (depending on size/profile etc)

Edited by zenetti

Posted Image

Oh how I would love to completely f**k up the wife’s E46’s chassis dynamics and ability to be driven at pace as a trade off for that stance. Looks so nice.

It’s like chopping off your legs loosing the ability to walk or run in attempt to look cool :P

Thanks i probably wont go that low because i still need to use car as daily. I was looking at one of your wheels on trademe http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=360846177

i was thinking of running a 15mm spacer at the back, rolling guards and dropping it where its just tucking a bit of the tyre.

do you think that will work/ look good?

Oh how I would love to completely f**k up the wife’s E46’s chassis dynamics and ability to be driven at pace as a trade off for that stance. Looks so nice.

It’s like chopping off your legs loosing the ability to walk or run in attempt to look cool :P

Haha just wanting to do something a bit different, sick of seeing the same old thing in nz.

Edited by gdm.yo

Nothing different mate, we were driving around in E36’sand other BMW’s with no springs lower than yours 15 years ago, back when E36’s were still worth more than three dollars and 18" wheels were 10 grand… they drove like sh*t back then too.. But we looked awesome

I would say the E46 above is on air-ride or photoshopped, either that or it would simply not move, the offset is quite nice though, you could emulate that quiet easily, I tried a set of E34 Style-5’ss on my E46 and it was spot on.

Thanks i probably wont go that low because i still need to use car as daily. I was looking at one of your wheels on trademe http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=360846177

i was thinking of running a 15mm spacer at the back, rolling guards and dropping it where its just tucking a bit of the tyre.

Those wheels always look good on BMW's, and we can do a super sharp deal for you as you are a BS member.

Spacers - I can't comment as professionally it doesn't look good to recommend something that is potentially going to be illegal.

Edited by zenetti

I think it would look good without spacers on 225/40's with those wheels.

And still drive/handle nicely.

You also aren't going to get much stretch out of anything on an 8" rim (not very wide) unless you went way undersize like a 215/35, even then...... **nah**

My old e46 330i with pumped guards on 19 x 8.5fr, 19 x 9.5rr et38 Forged Works Rezax II's wrapped with 235/35 R19 FK-452fr and 265/30 R19 FK-452rr (no stretch)

KW v2 coilovers etc

Posted Image

cheers hybrid that was what i was looking for, now i have something to go by. Bang on height too imo.. any idea how much of a drop from factory?

Edited by gdm.yo

215/45 on a 9" wheel?

A while back John (E30ftw) posted up a copy of the new tyre/rim width combinations. I am sure from memory you now have a have a 225 on a 9" wide rim (depending on size/profile etc)

Posted Image

2c.

This would look sweet, you would need guard work if it has decent drop.

That car has air front struts and rear is coilovers

Edited by Mash

from memory if you can prove the manufacter spec allows the stretch you want and can show the cert guy, it trumps their chart.. idk, could be wives tales I heard but worth looking into..it's only afew phone calls!

cheers hybrid that was what i was looking for, now i have something to go by. Bang on height too imo.. any idea how much of a drop from factory?

Not sure, you kind of just tweak to taste till it looks good, while not causing issues with suspension travel. You dont wanna go much lower than this (if any), it becomes hard to drive around without it being a pain in the ass.

Its fairly important if your going 'coil overs' to get qaulity items that can deal running lower without binding up or being overly hard in 20% of the first compression.