Sign in to follow this  
cliffdunedin

Copyright Law...

I wasn't under the understanding that it worked that way. I thought they would monitor torrents and send the IPs to the ISPs. I'm not being sarcastic, if it's invading your privacy then that is an issue.

Someone spends their time, uses their skills, to write a song, or a film or whatever and they try to sell it to make a living, they even copyright so people cant copy them. They do this to make money, and you hinder them from doing this by taking their music or film or whatever off them without paying for that.

I'm not lawyer, from what I understand, that is stealing isn't it?

I know I'm being a hypocrite, I've pirated sh*t before, but I accept that this is stealing.

You can try to refute my argument on the definition I merely just copied and pasted off dictionary.com, maybe I stuff up a bit, but that doesn't change the fact piracy is piracy and that is it illegal for good reasons.

I get your point though.

I think we see the same side of the coin. It is illegal for sure.

The whole thing about the IPs being sent to the ISP is right. To ensure they know they are sending the letters to the right place, they have to keep a full history of the IP, activity and who on their servers. Currently, this is not a legal requirement - but, in september, it will be. Screw that. I don't want anyone to store my details about *when* I visit my online banking sites and the like. It is a small start to a very big idea for the future.

In the 1990s I downloaded ALL my music - everything was from Napster and all around the place. Then Apple did the whole iTunes thing and it seemed to be quick, easy and a reasonable price. I haven't pirated music since. In fact, I even went back and bought music I had to get a nicer version off the masters.

When it comes to movies, the movie companies didn't budge. They want to use lawsuits to sort out their lack of business model change. It is one of the only industries on the planet where the customer gets told how they will be sold to and how they will use the thing they have just bought. Times are changing and these idiots just haven't moved. I want a world where a new release movie is a worldwide release - and can be purchased from your AppleTV, GoogleTV, iPad, browser, and cinemas - whatever, on release day. They won't do it for lots of "maximising profit" reasons - but until they deliver the goods to the customer in the way the customer wants it - they are fighting a very long and painful battle.

Don't get me wrong, an artist or company should be rewarded for their talent and efforts - but they need to bring their works to the audience - not drag them into court and enforce the outdated delivery methods because of profiteering.

I think we see the same side of the coin. It is illegal for sure.

The whole thing about the IPs being sent to the ISP is right. To ensure they know they are sending the letters to the right place, they have to keep a full history of the IP, activity and who on their servers. Currently, this is not a legal requirement - but, in september, it will be. Screw that. I don't want anyone to store my details about *when* I visit my online banking sites and the like. It is a small start to a very big idea for the future.

In the 1990s I downloaded ALL my music - everything was from Napster and all around the place. Then Apple did the whole iTunes thing and it seemed to be quick, easy and a reasonable price. I haven't pirated music since. In fact, I even went back and bought music I had to get a nicer version off the masters.

When it comes to movies, the movie companies didn't budge. They want to use lawsuits to sort out their lack of business model change. It is one of the only industries on the planet where the customer gets told how they will be sold to and how they will use the thing they have just bought. Times are changing and these idiots just haven't moved. I want a world where a new release movie is a worldwide release - and can be purchased from your AppleTV, GoogleTV, iPad, browser, and cinemas - whatever, on release day. They won't do it for lots of "maximising profit" reasons - but until they deliver the goods to the customer in the way the customer wants it - they are fighting a very long and painful battle.

Don't get me wrong, an artist or company should be rewarded for their talent and efforts - but they need to bring their works to the audience - not drag them into court and enforce the outdated delivery methods because of profiteering.

Fair call!

So these people in Parliament seem pretty stupid. I bet there wireless is left unencrypted or only using WEP.

Would be pretty funny if they were done under this new law for piracy if someone so happened to use their internet to download some stuff.

If people like you bothered to vote, maybe you could change that ;)

Edited by mark247

It dosent matter who is in, they all f**k up some thing. And im sure you were one of the people to vote National.

It dosent matter who is in, they all f**k up some thing. And im sure you were one of the people to vote National.

I voted last election and I'm not voting ever again. Its just there to make you feel like you have a say every 3 years - but all in all, they ignore you and do whatever they like. I've watched the govt change over the years to little effect on my day to day life. Waste of time. I do appreciate that a lot of people fought to give me the voting right - but I'd also like to thank them for the right to not exercise my right.

Nope.

But in this case it wouldn't make any difference anyway because from my understanding the only people who voted against this bill the other night was the Greens. If I remember correctly it was 113 votes for and 9 against.. or close to this.

But of course this is bullshit because people in parliament are all irrational beings and anyone else would do a better job, or can at least think of a better way of running the place, be it they maybe have a better idea than democracy or maybe just MMP, or they would be happy living in anarchy as long as they still have internet and petroleum production and all these other lovely things that require order and society. f**k the system! Actually, nah.

Hey, I didnt say they f**k up everything. What I was trying to say is it dosent matter who you vote for, eventually they are all going to do some thing you dislike.

I hate politics, I would rather slam my d*ck in a car door than work in parliament.

Hey, I didnt say they f**k up everything. What I was trying to say is it dosent matter who you vote for, eventually they are all going to do some thing you dislike.

I hate politics, I would rather slam my d*ck in a car door than work in parliament.

I think I'd still go for the 6 figure salary and the mean superannuation than slamming my johnson in a car door. But what ever floats your boat.

This entire bill is fundamentally confusing for me.

Say you live in a flat with 5 people. The bill that has passed basically means that the account holder with the ISP is liable for ALL ACTIONS done by ANY user on that connection.

- That means that businesses are liable for everything done by users.

- And further, those businesses are liable for everything done by users on their free terminals.

Therefore, if I jump on the Auckland Council free WIFI, tether my Iphone to my laptop or use wireless on my laptop, then illegally download a midget orgy torrent. Said producer of the midget orgy film can accuse the Auckland Council, take out a lawsuit and make up to a cool $15,000. Obviously after several notices are served, but that’s how it works.

In addition, what is to say that there is a link behind a person and the said IP address? Anyone who knows anything remotely about social engineering, viruses, Trojans and the other plethora of tools out there to facilitate attacks on users of the internet would be hard pressed to say that this is a result of a persons actions.

Meaning that the computers actions are not always a result of the person’s actions. The assumption the law makes is that the computer is always driven by the same end user.

Add the fact that an ISP can disconnect users from the internet which in itself is a stupid punishment.

- For example: If I crash my shitty E30 into your nice E46 M3 and write it off - Do we remove my ability to buy petrol? No we prosecute me for dangerous driving.

- If I use electricity to build a giant vibrating electric powered sex toy which fails and electrocutes all of my flatmates - Do we disconnect the electricity? No, I get done for manslaughter.

It just does not add up IMO.

I could go on and on tbh. Don’t get me wrong, I am all for copyright protection and empowering the original artist...

But this is just retarded... Passed under urgency? hah I wasnt even aware that word existed in parliment!

/END RANT.

These problems in the law will show up in court I'd say, and changes will have to be made.. or it will just be thrown out.

I guess time will tell... sounds like its going to be a shitfest.

EDIT: http://www.voxy.co.nz/national/nz-data-pro...mmittee/5/87795 here's another reason they pushed it though that I previously hadn't thought of.

Edited by mark247

EDIT: http://www.voxy.co.nz/national/nz-data-pro...mmittee/5/87795 here's another reason they pushed it though that I previously hadn't thought of.

Interesting... Although I doubt it will actually "open doors" Pity there isnt much more information in that article too. Vague-a-saraus.

Edit - It is definitely a topic worthy of a lenthly debate. It's just a shame that parliment on what looks like limited focus.

Edited by Mattzy

Sounds more and more like a 'token law' to appease business interests and the FBI(ha).

Unworkable and unenforceable but we need to look like we're doing something.

NZ rules. enjoy the new laws ladies, ISPs over here seem to be winning the fight.

I got one from Telecom on 18/12/2007, while I was working within the dept who issues them (lols). Have deleted sensitive information

Recent Infringement Timestamp: 6 Dec 2007 22:50:16 GMT

Infringed Work: Shrek the Third

Infringing FileName: Shrek.The.Third[2007]DvDrip.AC3[Eng]-aXXo

Infringing URL: http://tracker.torrent.to:2710/announce

Asked out security guy at work about it and he said it's nothing to worry about. It was my younger sister that downloaded this off a connection under my name.

Shrug. Not worried then, not worried now.