Sign in to follow this  
cliffdunedin

Copyright Law...

Ahhhh, how does it stop your ISP's from knowing what's being downloaded?

Ahhhh, how does it stop your ISP's from knowing what's being downloaded?

Because, any IP the RIAA get will be of your seedbox, and the complaint notices will be sent to the host of the seedbox. Not your ISP. At the worst, your seedbox host may cancel your account.

Your ISP dosent give a f**k what you download or pirate. They usually ignore the notices and delete the emails when they receive complaints. The new law requires them to act on these notices. The RIAA cant see what you transfer between your seedbox and home PC.

I'm personally not too bothered that they've done this as it was always on the cards, I'm more bothered that they just rushed it through parliament without any public consultation. If I was to download "hypothetically" I'd only download TV from the U.K

Usenet providers such as Easynews are secure connections so there's no chance any author of material can see what's being downloaded to your machine at any rate.

I'm personally not too bothered that they've done this as it was always on the cards, I'm more bothered that they just rushed it through parliament without any public consultation. If I was to download "hypothetically" I'd only download TV from the U.K

Usenet providers such as Easynews are secure connections so there's no chance any author of material can see what's being downloaded to your machine at any rate.

Yes, not too bothered about it either...but....now ISPs have to keep records on what you are doing. Its a bit like police setting up video cameras pointing into your house 24/7. So while you live a life of good and never do anything wrong, you have these cameras spying on everything you do. Not good.

For those concerned, just setup with https://www.ipredator.se for a cheap encrypted VPN line. Seems to give 2Mbit consistently.

After watching parliament TV on this issue - it was hardly debated - what a joke. There is more discussion on this board about it than they went through in the 2 hours of crap they spoke. Most of the time they were saying how the opposing party was crap. Who cares!!!

^ and the guy that was comparing internet to skynet? Why do we have such retards in parliament?

Here you go. Best debating I have seen in years tbh.

I download quite a bit. Mostly TV Shows that we don't get in NZ. Or are way behind in. So I have been looking into VPN's.

Other than ipedator is there any other similar ones that you guys have tested.

Also how many connections can it take? Can I share it with my brother and sister in a different house?

Edited by driftit

^ and the guy that was comparing internet to skynet? Why do we have such retards in parliament?

BAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA!!!!

That has just made my sh*t Monday abit more humorous!!!

I always have to wonder why we allow politicians to make decisions in industries they know nothing about. Do any of these people who are making the decision posses any sort of IT/Telecommunications tertiary qualification?

After watching parliament TV on this issue - it was hardly debated - what a joke.

You watched Parliament TV :o

Surely anything would be better than that :D

Wah wah wah. We might actually face consequences for stealing, after we are given 3 letters in the mail first. Get over it.

People who shop lift don't get 3 letters in the mail first and only possibly prosecuted the 4th time. So you've all still got it pretty good.

Although it is annoying for people who downloaded including myself, my legal and moral side is telling me it's about time for something like this.

It's not stealing. If I steal your car, you are left without a car. If I copy your car, you still have your car and I have a copy.

It's not stealing. If I steal your car, you are left without a car. If I copy your car, you still have your car and I have a copy.

No Troy.

Steal

verb (past stole /stəʊl/; past participle stolen /ˈstəʊlən/)

1 [with object] take (another person's property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it:

It's stealing because you didn't pay for it, which is the consideration which gives you the legal right to take it.

Edited by mark247

No Troy.

Steal

1 [with object] take (another person's property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it:

It's stealing because you didn't pay for it, which is the consideration which gives you the legal right to take it.

by your definition Jesus was a thief as he broke bread and multiplied fish and bread and spread it amongst the masses, the original fisherman and the person who baked the bread lost revenue through the people Jesus feed not buying from them.

Wah wah wah. We might actually face consequences for stealing, after we are given 3 letters in the mail first. Get over it.

People who shop lift don't get 3 letters in the mail first and only possibly prosecuted the 4th time. So you've all still got it pretty good.

Although it is annoying for people who downloaded including myself, my legal and moral side is telling me it's about time for something like this.

I use a US iTunes account on my AppleTV and don't download. I'm more concerned about the ISPs now legally having to keep a full record of everything that happens on my ip address. Invasion of privacy I believe, copyright law was just a veil to get the net monitoring into law. Screw that, I'm encrypted and private.

What does your legal and moral side say about the "virtual video cameras" which are going to be setup on your ip address in September eh?

Edited by E90 M3

As a copy right holder myself and been effected by downloads I can see the other side of the coin (excuse the pun) directly.

For an artist this law wont help as it way to far gone to police now. Artists in NZ have turned to pretty much covering costs of releasing an album and thats about it. Almost all artists in NZ self fund their records, there is no such thing unless you are the next top10 of getting a record deal.

Artists make money off touring and thats about it. Oh and maybe a liciencing deal obviously.

There are very few full time musicians in NZ but its really a sign of the times. For most of my peers its turned into a hobby and with the way things are its all it will really be for most of them.

Breaking into international markets happens only every now and again.

That wasnt meant to be a sob story, just some information on the other side of the fence.

Most artists will not comment on downloading (either way) as the turn for it to backfire against them is too great.

We are several generations in for downloading content now, laws will just not stop it as the technology is greater than the law permits.

No Troy.

Steal

Actually if you carefully read your definition - then it isn't stealing.

Firstly, look at the wording - "take" which means "to remove". You are not "removing" anything.

"without intending to return it" backs up that suggestion of removal because of the "return it".

Copying a movie doesn't look like stealing at all. It is simply illegal to copy a movie for which you do not have legal rights - it isn't stealing.

There, sorted.

If I could download a car, I would.

How about copying a bicycle?

Copying is not theft:

I use a US iTunes account on my AppleTV and don't download. I'm more concerned about the ISPs now legally having to keep a full record of everything that happens on my ip address. Invasion of privacy I believe, copyright law was just a veil to get the net monitoring into law. Screw that, I'm encrypted and private.

What does your legal and moral side say about the "virtual video cameras" which are going to be setup on your ip address in September eh?

I wasn't under the understanding that it worked that way. I thought they would monitor torrents and send the IPs to the ISPs. I'm not being sarcastic, if it's invading your privacy then that is an issue.

Actually if you carefully read your definition - then it isn't stealing.

Firstly, look at the wording - "take" which means "to remove". You are not "removing" anything.

"without intending to return it" backs up that suggestion of removal because of the "return it".

Copying a movie doesn't look like stealing at all. It is simply illegal to copy a movie for which you do not have legal rights - it isn't stealing.

There, sorted.

Someone spends their time, uses their skills, to write a song, or a film or whatever and they try to sell it to make a living, they even copyright so people cant copy them. They do this to make money, and you hinder them from doing this by taking their music or film or whatever off them without paying for that.

I'm not lawyer, from what I understand, that is stealing isn't it?

I know I'm being a hypocrite, I've pirated sh*t before, but I accept that this is stealing.

You can try to refute my argument on the definition I merely just copied and pasted off dictionary.com, maybe I stuff up a bit, but that doesn't change the fact piracy is piracy and that is it illegal for good reasons.

I get your point though.

Edited by mark247

They dont loose any money from my pirating.

What I download I would not buy anyway.

They dont loose any money from my pirating.

What I download I would not buy anyway.

Great point. A+.

So these people in Parliament seem pretty stupid. I bet there wireless is left unencrypted or only using WEP.

Would be pretty funny if they were done under this new law for piracy if someone so happened to use their internet to download some stuff.