Sign in to follow this  
Apex

Advice on selling airbags from late model Renault?

Im trying to get rid of the airbags and seats from my Renaultsport Megane, seeing its striped out and caged I won’t be going back to OEM and would like to free up some space in my sheds for useful spares.

Have called a round a few wreckers and they are not interested unless I give them to them, have phoned Renault approved repairers and they don’t want them..

I have.

2x OEM sports seats with anti submarine and side airbags.

Steering wheel airbag unit.

Passenger side airbag unit

Full curtain airbags.

I also have a lot of trim from inside the car including rear seats and carpets, hood liners etc.

Can anyone thing of someone who may want to buy all this?? I don’t want a fortune and it seems a waist to throw them in the inorganic heap as they are very expensive new and the stuff is in great condition, could potentially save another car from being written off due to replacement air bag costs.

Thoughts??

blow them up, much more fun :)

Thoughts??

Surely you can just bung them on trademe? Someone always seems keen to pay something...

Don't forget to put "as new - never used" for the airbags, haha.

Have listed three times at low low cost and no interest, I bet a wrecker would want $500+ a bag if he were re selling them, you would think it would be worth buying the lot for a couple of hundred.

I think I will just throw them on a fire if they are still there in a few months would rather burn them than give them to the vulcher wreckers I have spoken with, guy wouldn't even give me a couple of hundred for the lot :huh:

Yeah it has to be a hit and miss mate, TradeMe I thought would have been the best place to market the parts. Get a mate or someone you know to ring around asking for prices and availability on the parts and that they need them urgently, then ring them back yourself offering them for sale! - then the guy who wanted them mysteriously dissapears!

Get a mate or someone you know to ring around asking for prices and availability on the parts and that they need them urgently, then ring them back yourself offering them for sale! - then the guy who wanted them mysteriously dissapears!

that just pisses people off big time and im sure graham wont do that being in business himself.

Just out of interest, what do the sports seats look like?

^^^^^^^ agreed.. No one would want to be on the receiving end of that stunt.

As above - TM is a case of supply/demand. I have found this on a few occasions with things that I know have a specific value that I am not prepared to give/throw away - with eventually a buyer requiring the part.

That said, you may find yourself with a specific market here though - unless these are a somewhat generic Renault parts fitting other models too.

In this case it's rarity can count against you.

Lets make them into Desk chairs Graham, better than burning them and they're really comfortable =D

Yeah it has to be a hit and miss mate, TradeMe I thought would have been the best place to market the parts. Get a mate or someone you know to ring around asking for prices and availability on the parts and that they need them urgently, then ring them back yourself offering them for sale! - then the guy who wanted them mysteriously dissapears!

interesting reading taking into account this forum is sponsored by several Dismantlers.

back to OP, try car constructors club, they tend to want seats from time to time

cheers

They look ok and are comfortable but having two airbags in each seat they weigh a bloody ton and would be hard to retro fit to anything else.

Shame I cant export them, I would get good $$$ for them in Australia and have been offered it but they wont let them in as they are explosives, they-are writing off decent crashed R26's and the like because of the astronomical cost of new airbags.

Does Renault not have a forum with Buy and Sell, in NZ ?

Seriously are in that much of a hurry to ditch them ?

My advice is keep them for when you want to put the car back to stock. Because youll kick yourself if you deny yourself from the option.

I had some compact airbags on TM for $50 for a few weeks with no takers. My theory was if the airbags had gone off the car usually has some pretty major damage. They do fail every now and then and wont pass a WOF so id suggest keep them on TM for a month or three. Then if all else fails, blow them up B)

I have been told in the past that LTSA/NZTA or whatever will only accept a vehicle rebuilt with "new" airbags regardless of the condition of the used ones. No doubt someone will want to correct me.

I have been told in the past that LTSA/NZTA or whatever will only accept a vehicle rebuilt with "new" airbags regardless of the condition of the used ones. No doubt someone will want to correct me.

Would not surprise me at all.

But if you do sell those airbags make sure you contract yourself out of any liability for them. All it takes is one "qualified" muppet to set one off while installing them.