Sign in to follow this  
tire

Tracking an owner down

I need to get in touch with the owner of a VW I saw last week. I have the plate, but when I went to buy the carjam report to get the owners details I spotted this:

"Please note that names and addresses of individuals are not available as of May 2011 privacy law changes"

Does anyone who has bought a report recently know if these changes have been implemented yet?

Any other tips would be good. I know I should have left a note but was in a rush.

Max.

Try the post office, pay the $3 or whatever and they will give you the name and address. (as long as they haven't opted out)

^+1 I did this when some idiot in a mitsi hit me in my old e30 and then gave me a false phone number

It still depends if the owner haven't "op-out" at the LTSA's end. But that would be it.

give me a PM as to why you need the info. i can help but depends on the reason you need/want the owner info

give me a PM as to why you need the info. i can help but depends on the reason you need/want the owner info

Interested to know how you have access to private info' no one else has.

Doesn't sound 100% legit.

As for the privacy thing re Carjam and the like, i think you all have it backwards.

All info is now private unless you "opt" to have it public.

My understanding of it anyway.

Edited by bellicose

As for the privacy thing re Carjam and the like, i think you all have it backwards.

I am 99.99% sure it is the other way around John, if you want your information to be kept private, you have to tell LTNZ (or whatever they are called this week) that you don't want your information handed out. I remember going on the web-site and doing this for all my vehicles, and families vehicles, so the info is not given out.

Really? Did they change it around?

Because I remember opting out last year sometime.

Just curious if they changed it or what..

yeah sorry Bellicose, when you 'opt out' your details are no longer public as of this year when the ammendment came ito effect. So says the three regos I had done.

all legit

Edited by TarrBaby

completely legit, i have access because of my job. however depending why the OP needs the contact details dictates whether or not i will disclose them

Im guessing you work for an Insurance company? When I was working in the insurance industry I had the ability to search any plate number and come up with full contact details (and from there using other systems credit checks, previous claims etc).

Interested to know how you have access to private info' no one else has.

Doesn't sound 100% legit.

As a car dealer, I am able to source all that info and a lot more also. Edited by C0SM0S

completely legit, i have access because of my job. however depending why the OP needs the contact details dictates whether or not i will disclose them

As a car dealer, I am able to source all that info and a lot more also.

REALLY!!!?? I'm quite pissed that people apart from law enforcement agencies can still access my info after opting out!

REALLY!!!?? I'm quite pissed that people apart from law enforcement agencies can still access my info after opting out!

Insurance companies and car retailers are likely to need access for financing/prevention of fraud purposes. Don't quote me on that, but being in an enforcement agency myself, those are my thoughts behind it.

(and nah, I have NO chance of being able to look details up for non-work stuff, my work is ruthless about it)

There is always going to be an element of trust that goes into allowing access to details like these, and bad apples that screw it up for everyone else.

That's why I have a PO box, and my car wasn't registered to my address for registration purposes. Insurance you can't do anything about really, since companies usually have your house details stashed somewhere...

(and nah, I have NO chance of being able to look details up for non-work stuff, my work is ruthless about it)

Yeah, my SIL is a Det Sgt and her partner is a Sgt in AOS and they can't access bugger all.

especially when there is these sort of people using it.

It's not an opt out if i crash into someone, opt in if someone wants to by my car...

especially when there is these sort of people using it.

Fully agree

I got the details off a friendly member and had a nice chat to the elderly owner, whos wife is in love with car and does not want to sell.

Cheers.