Sign in to follow this  
Sheep

E30 320i TURBO.

Yep!, Doing turbo conversion on my old 320i M20B20 1986.

Once my 318 sells ill be buying the manifold and turbo then getting the intercooler and pipe kit.

Any tips before i go ahead and bolt it on and see what happens? :D

Upgrade injectors and some sort of tuning solution

From what i've read into it you can use the factory injectors and factory ECU upto the point of 5 PSI anything above you should be getting new ECU and injectors i was thinking of stepping upto Skyline or 325i Injectors

i'm unsure of the impedance on the skyline ones

What's your power goals? For 5psi it would be cheaper to just get an m20b25, prob make more power than a b20 on 5psi aswell.

At the moment not Insane power goals Mostly for the wank factor Wouldnt mind producing a decent amount of power though

2 blown head gaskets. I think that shows proof of how well his setup actually is. I would'nt be following what he has done.

I would start with a b25, more gains to be had, the b20 is a slug. With standard head gasket, ARP studs and bigger injectors and aftermarket ecu you should be good to see 400whp with a good tune.

There are alot of headaches trying to trick the standard ECU to run a forced induction car properly.

basicly gonna slap turbo on see what happens at 5psi slowly crank it up till it breaks then do it up more, Might even do new head gasket before i put it on or even a full rebuild undecided yet

If you've got the money to experiment, then experiment.

Detonation video would be nice

If you want it right first time listen to polley

Cant afford to buy a b25 other wise i'd be taking that route

Also have a mate who is a bit of a ECU guru, So he can help me out with that side of things an a small tune, will moslikley go get my self a nice thick headgasket and maybe some new studs/bolts etc

Edited by Sheep

how can you not afford to buy a b25 yet you can afford to do a turbo setup... B25's would cost you less than a turbo manifold..

B25 is what? $500ish? You kidding right?

This has to be a troll surely...

Cant afford to buy a b25 other wise i'd be taking that route

Also have a mate who is a bit of a ECU guru, So he can help me out with that side of things an a small tune, will moslikley go get my self a nice thick headgasket and maybe some new studs/bolts etc

A cometic MLS head gasket and ARP head studs will run you $1k.

A B25 you can pick up for $500 - $700 and you can install in a weekend. Even after you've turbo'd your b20 and if it hasnt blown up a b25 is still gonna whip your ass.

Also a B25 is cheaper than a cert for a turbo, and your a lot more likely to get away with not certing it :ph34r:

Not that I condone mods without certs, just saying... ;)

cert? whats the meaning of this lol..

well considering i have limited funds its either turbo conversion that i can move from engine to engine or buy a b25 and have a turbo manifold and no turbo? lol

Lets put it this way its not going to be a Oh looky i turbd my b20, Its going to be look i turbed it blew it up and put in a b25 in and then turbd that lol.

Its going to be on going for now it will be a b20 turbo working with what i have

Lets put it this way its not going to be a Oh looky i turbd my b20, Its going to be look i turbed it blew it up and put in a b25 in and then turbd that lol.

Its going to be on going for now it will be a b20 turbo working with what i have

:blink:

If you just keep blowing motors up "working with what you have" then you will probably end up with no money and no motor...

Better off either doing it properly, or getting the B25 and then working on the turbo idea, doing your research, amassing the proper stuff to do it right, and then making a sick turb'd b25 with enough RWHP to keep you satisfied.

You'd be glad you did it I'm sure!

I could alrighty. LETS FIND A b25 for me i saw one on trademe but someone brought it i need a b25 in auckland i've been looking but couldnt find any

I could alrighty. LETS FIND A b25 for me i saw one on trademe but someone brought it i need a b25 in auckland i've been looking but couldnt find any

Tried any of the forum sponsors? Theres a few wreckers yards round auckland... post a WTB thread too if you really want one, they arent particularly hard to come by :).

There are a number of BMW wreckers in your area.

Auckland:

Ray @ HellBM

Brent

Synth

Hamilton:

Kerry & Mike @ mosens

SD European

Tauranga:

Birch ave Autospares

Wellington:

Jono

It doesn't cost much to get a engine thrown on a pallet and sent around the place.

There is a 1989 525 at pickapart mangere, check it out, engines are cheap here.

For $500 - $700 you could have a b25 in your car and running, no one will notice when it comes to WOF time, be reliable, less f**king around, and faster than a b20 on 5psi. You've then got a reliable car, and you can save / collect parts for when you can afford to turbo it later.

I sold mine last year for $550 including oil cooler, which seemed to be the average price they were going for.

I'd love to see someone attempt to build a turbo e30 for less than a grand..Do try it.