Sign in to follow this  
scottr

Upcoming RE002s

Hello all, been spending the better part of the afternoon researching tires. Mine have cracks in them on the outer edges and I suspect they may not make it through the next warrant check next week.

The cracks have been there since the car was vin'd and warranted earlier this year though so maybe they're not all that bad (optimistic here, the yard I got it from was a little bit suspect, I still have their sunglasses, cellphone chargers and copied cd's they'd left in the car when we picked it up. We threw the cigarette ash and beer bottles out though).

Anyway, the car currently has asymmetric bridgestone playz, which seem to be decent enough and I'd like to replace them with something of simliar stature. I've been looking online at re001's and asymmetric eagle f1s (owned the gds3s before and was happy with them), these seem to be the bread and butter of the range I'm looking at, but in my travel's I've found that the re001's are being replaced with re002's. Anyone heard anything about these coming into NZ, and when that would be? Release date in aus is 1st June. If I do end up needing new tires these could be a goer.

• Like 1

Quite keen too, However its probably going to be months before NZ gets them...

I need tires rather soon. :(

Would shipping them over from Aus. in June be out of the question ? :huh:

Would shipping them over from Aus. in June be out of the question ? :huh:

For me it prob would be, warrants due in early june (3rd). Already have the other bits i might need in transit from the us :)

Hi Scott

I have been speaking to the good people at Bridgestone and they have not got any confirmed dates as to when they will be launching them here in NZ. I am pretty sure that one of the main Bridgestone manufacturing plants is in Sendai (where the earthquake/tsunami was) and sustained some damage. The damage suffered has affected production and this may be why Bridgestone are having trouble confirming a date.

What size tyres do you need and what car are you putting them onto?

If you are considering the F1, also take a look at the Toyo C1S or T1 Sport.

Feel free to phone me and have a chat about some options

cheers

Johno

Edited by zenetti

Hi Scott

I have been speaking to the good people at Bridgestone and they have not got any confirmed dates as to when they will be launching them here in NZ. I am pretty sure that one of the main Bridgestone manufacturing plants is in Sendai (where the earthquake/tsunami was) and sustained some damage. The damage suffered has affected production and this may be why Bridgestone are having trouble confirming a date.

What size tyres do you need and what car are you putting them onto?

If you are considering the F1, also take a look at the Toyo C1S or T1 Sport.

Feel free to phone me and have a chat about some options

cheers

Johno

Hi Johno, I'd be after 225/45/17's, and 245/40/17's if they fail on those as well. I'll give you a call if the outcome is unfavourable :)

Thanks,

Scott

Best tyres I have used in those sizes and currently available are the Bridgestone 050 fitment for Mercedes AMG with same wheel sizes.

Really good performance tyre with good wear and superb wet behaviour.

I am on my second set on my 328 , have had Conti, Pirelli P Zero Rosso, Nero and Dunlop sport MAXX all on the same car

The RE001 tend to wear too quickly and lack the precision and feel of the 050 , had 001's on my E39.

Dont know anything about the 002

The S001's seem to be the replacement for those, released with the re002's. They're prob a bit higher spec and price that I want or need to go though. trips to countdown just don't get that intense :)

Fair comment , my "countdown" is 20k away onundulating & twisty open country road.

F1's are horrible on an E36/46 they have no feel and shitty turn in and soft shoulders so are Toyo's IMO

Considering the T1 Sport has only been out less than a month I am not sure how you can justify that comment. You may be talking about the T1R's? The C1S and T1 Sport are completely different tyres and are of the asymmetric construction you talk about AND are designed for European vehicles. :)

Edited by zenetti

I will confirm tomorrow but I believe these are on the boss' Lexus. If that's true, try your local Lexus dealer, they must have a supply from somewhere.

Thanks for highlighting your complete inability to believe anyone but yourself.

The Hankook received a superior wet rating and placed higher overall. Comfort and noise are aspects of a tyres performance, whether or not you rate them as such.

Your subjective ratings obviously don't include wet performance and resistance to aquaplaning.

Your desire to jump down the throat of anyone who questions you or pokes some fun at you is baffling.

I feel as though im reading a legal document whenever I read your posts 3pedals.

I should probably let this go, but then you'll just continue to believe that you're correct. I can find no reference to a personal attack in my earlier post. The first post was a tongue in cheek poke at your well publicised hate of Hankook tyres due to their perceived failings on your new vehicle. As usual, you were sarcastic and condescending in your reply.

The fact is that unless your name is Michael Schumacher, Chris Amon or the departed great, Ayrton Senna, your opinions on tyres are nothing more than that, opinions. They give you no right to be arrogant or rude to anyone.

The great pity of it is that some of your advice on suspension set up etc is well thought out and well received, including by me.

Cheers.

To be fair Ron you are not comparing apples with apples. :)

The tyres on your X5 may well have been Hankook but they are a completely different tyre to the ones that were 'tested' in the link above. The X5 is also a rather unique vehicle let's not forget, and not everyone likes to drive like you do. For a "soccer mom" doing the school run, the Hankook's may well be fine, and to them the Hankook is not 'sub-standard'.

I could make a generic statement like you have, that all Pirelli's are crap because I drove on some P7's and they were rubbish. Now I know that not to be true because the P7 is very very different to a P Zero.

I am not defending any particular brand of tyre here, but just trying to show that within a brand's range there are different tyres - horses for courses so to speak.

You can't make generalistic sweeping statement like you sometimes do and not expect it to provoke some debate. Everyone has their own opinions and preferences. Another way of looking at is I could say all BMW are crap because I drove an old automatic E36 316i. It was crap so I swapped to an Audi RS4 and it is a far better car.

Again a statement like that is far from the truth, an E36 328i motorsport is a far better car. I am sure you would debate the issue that your 328 is crap :D .

Again I am not attacking anyone's ideas or values, but maybe jut trying to open your eyes a wee bit. Not everyone share's your ideology - the world would be a boring place if we were all the same. I can see how some of the time your statements can be perceived as arrogant and provocative. I have learnt to look past it because I realise it is who you are. I am sure you have also formed an opinion on me based on our previous 'encounters', even though we have never met each other :D

Edited by zenetti

Hi guy's could you please wait while I grab another bag of pop corn! :D

I can find no reference to a personal attack in my earlier post.

Thanks for highlighting your complete inability to believe anyone but yourself.

Your desire to jump down the throat of anyone who questions you or pokes some fun at you is baffling.

Im sorry but your opinons of whether those two comments were a personal attack or not are vastly different to mine.

Ive been on here long enough to have seen more than my fair share of Ron and Jonno's 'conversations' and whilst both have obviously strong opinions Ron has always been honest in how he drives a car, what he expects from it and what he expects from the tyres he has used.

He's never shied away from a 'discussion' on the subject and has mentioned on more than one occasion how his cars are set up which is a damn site more than anyone else on here has bothered to do. You dont go to the level of detail he has in describing his cars, setup, driving style, and tyres without learning something along the way.

He has his opinions on tyres and he's entitled to them. Are they specific to his car, his driving style, his setup, the road he was driving on at the time, the weather conditions at that time ? Of course they are, but just because you disagree doesnt give you the right to start poking fun and making tongue in cheek comments just to be a prick.

I didnt read Ron's initial reply to you as 'sarcastic and condescending' he just stated the report gives a higher rating in individual tests to one tyre and then gives a higher overall rating to another.

Can you not see the inconsistency in that or are you too blinded by your need to attack him you didnt actually read what he said ?

Isn't the idea of a forum to have relevant discussions pertaining to the topic at hand?

I concur with Martyn.

Isn't the idea of a forum to have relevant discussions pertaining to the topic at hand?

I concur with Martyn.

Yes isn't it nice to have some quality discussion on here again. :D However people will always interpret what you write differently. That is why I have started to use the emoticons to help put my comments in the context I intend.

I just need to make sure everyone is on the same page here. On the link provided it shows to me that the Hankook S1 Evo outperformed the Pirelli in the everything but the dry. Perhaps yours link's to something else Ron? All I have is a link to the final results.

There is no mention of how they came to their conclusions so I am curious as to how you can deduce any "glaring inconsistincies". :)

Edited by zenetti

So back on topic :), But thanks all for the opinion's though, that's what forums are for and one if the reasons I asked on here.

Went for the warrant today and as expected failed on the front tires. Not for the outer cracks on the edge, but slight cracks along the inside circumference. I guess the outer cracks were an indication of the general state of the tires themselves.

Not the first bridgestone tires that have done that to me, had a simliar issue with an MY01 cracking to the point you could almost get fingers in there when the car was lifted.

Actually that reminds me about a bit of rage I had about a year ago when bridgestone stuck it to me good and proper when they changed the country of manufacture from NZ to somewhere in asia. I replaced the cracked tire with a newer my01, then 6 months later had to replace the other 3 tires due to inside wear. I then failed a warrant because even though I had all the exact same tires and sizes, bought 6 months apart, they decided to change the load rating by 4 when the country of manufacture changed, meaning the tires could not be used on the same axle. This required me to also replace the 6 month old tire with a new one, which really made my day.

Maybe I'll go with the goodyear asymetric's now, unless the bridgestone comes severly under the cost of the goodyears.

Never ever heard of this type of failure on a genuine new tyre that has been properly inflated and purchased from a reputable vendor , sure the date code was this millenium and not the last?

Dunno, never bought the tires that failed, although the my01 was between 1-2 years old. The current ones were on the car when it was imported in Dec last year, apparently the trip across the sea doesn't do them any favours. A fair number of people I've talked to have suffered the same fate with imported cars. When they arrive there's lots of tread, but they look pretty manky and crack along the inside wall pretty quickly.,

Rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb. RHUbarb rhubarb rhubarb

. Another way of looking at is I could say all BMW are crap because I drove an old automatic E36 316i. It was crap so I swapped to an Audi RS4 and it is a far better car.

Admin...please. Someone ban zenetti, he's clearly delusional.