Sign in to follow this  
Michael.

Tailgaters on the Motorway

God damn I am sick of the despicable driving standards most drivers in Auckland have adopted, it seems next to no one is aware of the 4 second rule when following cars on the motorway at highway speeds in rainy conditions. What possesses them to want to tailgate 3 meters behind a car at those speeds when grip is reduce??? are they totally oblivious to what will happen when they slam their brakes on in those conditions?!

Being the sensible guy that I am, when I drive in these conditions I like to leave a nice 3-5 second gap in front of me so that I have ample braking space in case of a sudden halt in traffic flow, yet I get these jumped up fools in their overloaded vans or Subarus getting right up my chuff, which after a few moments decided to make an evasive maneuver to overtake me and get right in front, meaning I have to fall back a second or two so theres an appropriate gap again....... It's no wonder we have so many accidents... why can't the police address this as a campaign for road safety, but oh thats right they just want to invest in making money out of speeding 'offences'

Sigh!

I suppose theres little that we can do as individuals, but in the bigger scheme of things, nearly everyone knows the give way rules correctly so why can't they adopt appropriate following rules...

Is it just me or do others feel the same on the matter?

i am not implying in any way that you are the following but i often observe tailgating like such when morons sit in the right lane doing 90kmh and wont move the f**k over..... perhaps the reason why should also be considered...

but in circumstances where tailgating is unnecasesary i do not hold back on applying the brakes in such force that may cause some underwear stains...

but in circumstances where tailgating is unnecasesary i do not hold back on applying the brakes in such force that may cause some underwear stains...

Just brake test the f**kers to wake them up =P

^or just try and write your car off, who cares, insurance pays out, you get a new car, and you get to teach some mofo a lesson...

edit: i should really lay off b,s when under the influence..

Edited by -Oli-

Just brake test the f**kers to wake them up =P

HAHA I agree, when you cant see thier headlights anymore, and they may aswell be jumping into your boot is the best, seeing the reaction when you slam the brakes on. Probably makes me just as bad as them, but it really does get frustrating!

Tapping the brakes so they are barely engaged yet light the rear stop light has a wonderfull effect on following distances.. for a short period.

In saying this, some police officers are just as bad with their following distances.

A friend ended up being rear ended when she was being followed far too closely late at night, the lights were what was most annoying at those distances and she ended up braking hard, the police officer smashed into the back of her. At the time she hadn't realised it was a mufti cop following

She was ticketed for dangerous driving by the officer which was later dropped in court and the officer charged.

Yeah - I totally agree about the nasty tailgating ongoings especially in Auckland. While I also believe that tapping your brake to signal a wake up call to the mofo behind you is a better option but it also has the potential to end up extremely disasterous....especially if you've got passengers or the road is busy i.e heaps a cars around you. If you are alone and the roads are quiet....you can choose how loud you want to send that wake up call out!

Might have to wire up some HID's into the rear fogs or something.

If you're in the fast lane, move over, let them past and fall in behind the idiot.

If you want revenge, high beams.

I'm with Oli.

But then we're both in Wellington where it seems that any lane is an acceptable lane to do a consistent 20km/h under the speed limit.

Also, Engage ABS works well for tailgaters. :D

I can't understand why someone would want to brake test someone and potentially cause an accident and write off your own car over some thing so trivial.

I agree, if someones tailgating you it may be because they're in a rush to get somewhere?

Move over.

I think some people just do it because that's how they drive. I've been passenger with some people and that's just how close they follow.

I Love the motorway mergers who ZOOOM onto the motorway doing 60km/h and swerve across 2 lanes of motorway speed traffic to get into the right hand lane and eventually crawl up to 80km/h. Meanwhile there is a pileup in their rear view mirror from all the drivers slamming on their brakes to avoid their zip merging. PENISES

They need to quote some of these on those motorway signs

Edited by melowpuf

It is a way some people drive. Alot of people I know (friends and family) dont tailgate but one of my ex's from years ago was a BAD t/g'er and I had to always tell her off cos I HATE t/g'ers. Just another one of those problems the govt needs to address but they dont....imagine the revenue they'd earn if they fined t/g'ers.

leave the fast lane for people prepared to drive at or above the speed limit and maybe this wouldn't be a topic.

If there is someone behind me prepared to drive faster, I move over.

Of course that theory works down here, probably not in Auckland with real heavy traffic. Probably why I hate driving up there.

No offence auck. ppl, it's my issue not yours.

Edited by M5V8

I agree, if someones tailgating you it may be because they're in a rush to get somewhere?

Move over.

I agree, the New Zealand attitude of I'm doing 100kmh so it's my right to govern the speed of all those behind me sucks..........

If you're in the two slower lanes and someone is tailgating you then they're being an ass, but if you're hogging the fast last with cars behind you then you deserve it in my opinion.

It was quite a shock to come back to New Zealand after 8 months and 20,000kms of driving in Europe. The 'fast' lane in Europe is used exclusively for passing and nothing else. You pull into the fast lane, make your pass and then move straight back into the other 'slower' lanes. You soon get the picture if you sit in the fast lane over there..........

I agree, the New Zealand attitude of I'm doing 100kmh so it's my right to govern the speed of all those behind me sucks..........

If you're in the two slower lanes and someone is tailgating you then they're being an ass, but if you're hogging the fast last with cars behind you then you deserve it in my opinion.

could not agree more.

agreed!

I got told off by a cop in spain for doing 140 in the fast lane when the two outside lanes were clear.

Not for the speed, because I should have moved right.

130 was the speed limit.

Safe as houses at 140.

The States are the same outside lane is for over taking, or moving into if someone has broken down or there is an on ramp.

In the part of Mexico where I stayed they only had 1 ½ lanes so you drove on the shoulder only pulling out into the lane proper when you’re overtaking

need one of these.

Maybe we should start attaching cameras to our cars like the cocksucker cyclists, send them to everyone and wah about them on youtube.

Edited by antil33t

This all seems to be about double lanes, what about tail gaters on single lane roads?