Sign in to follow this  
M3_Power

BMW 1M - Awesome!

Got to take this for a little drive today ... have been asked to do a full write up review in the next G-Force Magazine :D

Still grinning ear to ear at the moment :P

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

So staunch!

buying one are we ? :) think the e92 wants replacing or maybe you can convince the wife ?

jealous, was the photo taken at Highland park?

Yep Highland Park

So staunch!

The photos don't do this car justice to be honest - very boxy and chiseled in person.

buying one are we ? :) think the e92 wants replacing or maybe you can convince the wife ?

LOL ... I'll give you her number so you can help? haha

The photos don't do this car justice to be honest - very boxy and chiseled in person.

With any luck i'll be driving it next week, keeps getting delayed, you bastards up there keep hogging it haha.

LOL ... I'll give you her number so you can help? haha

hahah did you let her drive it .. one would think it would change her mind for her! :)

Not really feeling the magic there to be honest. The stripes are a little try hard too.

I'd rather the E92 over this from a pure 'looks' perspective.

I know this is a demo car but the stripes are just too showy.

What happen to the rear badge, just a "///M" ? Where's the "1" gone.

They did "X5 ///M" before.

I love the little beast. And I am glad to hear yet another personal rave about it.

The stripes are just for the Demo car. Watch the latest Top gear episode if you want to see one looking so damn good. The white actually takes away some of the lines in the photos. Darker colors are so much better.

With any luck i'll be driving it next week, keeps getting delayed, you bastards up there keep hogging it haha.

Points fingers at BMW NZ ... I swear not my fault ... I was simply invited to do a reivew on it :P

AFAIK, it is already on its way down South and to do its tour of duty around the Country as I type ...

hahah did you let her drive it .. one would think it would change her mind for her! :)

She came out of the car after the test drive with a simple and to the point comment ... "better and faster than the E92 M3"

Not really feeling the magic there to be honest. The stripes are a little try hard too.

I'd rather the E92 over this from a pure 'looks' perspective.

"The stripes are apparently part of the marketing world wide - I agree a little tacky, but if you compare it to a plain white one without stripes, it sort of makes sense from a marketing perspective.

Links to a plain white one overseas:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=552617

Trust me when I say the car looks better in person than the photos. When I first saw it on print, I cringed ... in person, VERY different.

Those side cutouts in the bumper are actually functional not just an aesthetic piece (i.e. the air curtains or whatever BMW's calling them)

After hearing what I'd get as a trade-in on the E92 M3 I am now less overwhelmed about the car :blink:

I know this is a demo car but the stripes are just too showy.

What happen to the rear badge, just a "///M" ? Where's the "1" gone.

They did "X5 ///M" before.

Stripes are suppose to mimic the original 3.0 CSL 24 hour car I believe.

Just the M badge apparently, no 1M ... strange if you asked me.

I love the little beast. And I am glad to hear yet another personal rave about it.

The stripes are just for the Demo car. Watch the latest Top gear episode if you want to see one looking so damn good. The white actually takes away some of the lines in the photos. Darker colors are so much better.

It is a very cool car ... and only 15 coming to NZ .. that's it ... 10 this year and 5 more next ... I am told 9 are already spoken for, so only 6 remain and apparently half of those have a "maybe on them already".

Edited by M3_Power

I absolutely love it after watching the topgear episode on it. Pretty much the 1 is the future of true motorsport cars by the looks .. not that I like the new 2012 1 shape *barf*

Anyways .. Lets hope this one doesnt get written off by automotive journalists like the last few m cars in this country!

Sounds good, should see it next week. It's not called an M1 because the original M1 name has been copyrighted, even though it's BMWs name. The M1 was the start and end of the peformance 1. Just what we have been told from Germania.

^^^^^^ Makes sense I guess

I'll reserve judgement on looks until I see one in person (which may be never with it's rather low numbers), but to me it kinda looks like a square box that has been shaped into a car ... is it really that short in real life as it looks in vids and pics?

I've just had my time in the seat of the nz demo 1M and I'm impressed! I've owned a e92 335i with turbo chip upgrade and am currently driving a e90 M3 HP.

Let's start with the first visual impression, in short, presence! The car looks like a small staunch pig dog ready to pounce. Walk around it and you see the details like the air curtains at the front and the quad exhausts rearward. Looks great!

Get in and he first thing I noticed was the room, Im 6ft 5 and had enough leg room, I was able to get the same driving position as I have worked out in the M3, so that was good.

Start up. Nice startup noise! Good grizzly sound which settled down into a quiet burble of the inline 6. Tap the gas and it blips up the rev counter nicely. Clutch in, into gear and away. Quite a short throw on the clutch pedal compared to the M3. So, I drove away slowly and just waited until the engine came up to temp. I went down the motorway from takapuna toward the coatsville roads.

Once up to temp, I gave it a few runs on the motorway, impressive power when it spools up! It sits you back in the seat nicely. 70-100 acceleration rocks!

Get into the curves and the chassis really shines. The front end goes exactly where pointed with good steering feel and the nose feels like it turns in and slightly under on hard cornering. Perfection.

Brakes? Flawless. Dial up as much stopping as you need, feels limitless.

The ride is really firm, like the M3 in track mode, firm! Lucky the seats are quite soft...

The engine. Right, this is where it wasn't what I expected. There appears to be a bit of lag. No issue with the power amount, but the delivery has a slight delay. I guess coming from the M3 my expectations were not quite right. But on a tight road where you want to point, go, brake, point go etc etc, i felt the go was not as instant or precise as the point and brake bits. I'm sure it is something you learn to drive, but instinct tells you that go means now!

Hey, it's not bad at all, the thing flys, don't get me wrong!!

Considering the price, it is quite a bit less, but having lived with the N/A V8 and the TT I6 in my 335, and then seeing what the M division did with the 1M engine, I'd go the M3 again if I had to make a choice right now.

So overall, the 1M running gear is sublime, which is easy to predict having driven my wife's 1 series quite a bit, even the standard 1 has awesome handling and turn in.

Looking forward to the F30 M3!!

I honestly don't like the short wheel base, too me it looks an M3 that has had a front and rear impact, love the sound and front though!

Just going to bump this back up if the mods don't mind as my review for the car is out in the latest issue G-Force:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I was lucky enough to do the PDI on this particular 1M and 2 others.

I absolutely love them, heaps of fun to drive.

Already have it. Nice work Tom.

We just sent this one back to Auck, what am awsome car! I'd own.