Sign in to follow this  
stolen

Turboing an e30

I was thinking of adding a turbo to my e30 someday. I was doing some research and found it only has 129hp? dats kinda low for a 2 litre straight 6 isnt it?? But i guess it doesnt matter that much cos couple of weeks ago my mate tried to race me with his 3L v6 diamante and i just dropped a gear and left him behind B) . But that thing must weigh a ton and a half <_< .

Anyway....any ideas how much id be looking at spending and how much horsepower id gain? Is it even worth doing?

This has been discussed in depth before with comparisons and conjecture between turbos and supercharggers. Use the search function - it was earlier this year sometime.

As far as HP goes, someone once referred to BMW HP as Magic HP as the cars perform better than other vehicles with similar HP ratings. This is to do with all sorts of factors, but holds relatively true. However, you are right 129 HP is not alot. but then again, a BMW 320 is not a high-performance car now is it? It is a relatively well-performing small-sedan aimed at the yuppie-brigade in the '80s.

And a 2L 6 is a small 6.

Edit : Diamante's are whales.

Edited by bravomikewhiskey

129hp? dats kinda low for a 2 litre straight 6 isnt it??

129hp is not that high but remember that it's 20 year old technology with euro emission restrictions.

4age's holla that back in '83

dont bother turboing it dude, for the cost why not just buy a 325 or something already turbs

Guest Andrew

do a search on the site. There are a couple of turbo plans/projects underway - but so far I think only one has a BMW motor turboed. The other one is an SR20-DET swap and the other a 1JZ-GTE swap.

Don't bother turbo-ing the 2 ltr.

(ps to make you cry even more 320s don't crack 100 hp at the wheels... they only make roughly 60kW)

There is HEAPS on the net - the m20 seems to enjoy boost.

http://jdturbocharging.com/27339/11701.html

http://www.e30tech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3318 (it has a few quotes from Corky Bell Maximum Boost - A book you would need)

The other one is an SR20-DET swap and the other a 1JZ-GTE swap.

Don't bother turbo-ing the 2 ltr.

(ps to make you cry even more 320s don't crack 100 hp at the wheels... they only make roughly 60kW)

There is HEAPS on the net - the m20 seems to enjoy boost.

thanks for the quick replies ... yeah i was thinking it prolly wasnt worth it... so it is reasonably staright forward to install a sr20det? And what about the costs?

And the 1JZ-GTE is the toyota 2.5 twin turbo right? :huh:

As for a 325 im just not after the extra power but ever since i have heard the blow off sound ive always wanted one! :unsure: And i really like the e30 for a 16 yr old car its still so cool...!

Another idea was a v8 in there somehow... if dats possible? (also a sound i like.. :wub: )

Also yesterday was on my way home after dropping off a mate and it was raining and i took a corner in second year and the car fully went sideways and pointed at the other side of the road. There was a brand new audi station wagon coming towards me. The driver freaked out and stopped close to the curb as possible. Luckily i got it to turn the other way and stop. Didnt imagine it would do that! sh*t was pretty scary and existing.

This happened to me in a silvia and a 300zx i had. was turning into a road at a traffic lite at a T junction. was turning right and it fully went sideways and did a 360 and the front left tyre went and hit the island seperating the road i was turning into. I saw the face of the lady on the other side of the road after it happened and it was like she saw a ghost! like this -> :drugs: .... loving the RWDs! :pimp:

Guest Andrew

anything is possible - its just whether you have the skill/time/money .. generally though the more money you have can rule out needing much skill/time.

Personally I wouldn't say Turbo is easy - but in my mind it is the easiest option compared to Glenn's swap (1JZ-GTE) or the SR-20DET.

Having said that I'd rather have a 1JZ-GTE in my car than a turbo m20.

As for a 325 im just not after the extra power but ever since i have heard the blow off sound ive always wanted one!

bro thats so rice.........

again, if you want a turbo, especially just for the skank whistle aspect, get one thats already turb'd, you obviously dont give a rats bout power and sh*t

dont rally cars run without BOVs? antilag is far more fun than a bov, mad compressor surge squeaking yo! :bowdown:

I was sure they did

antilag pwns your face....

I'm no chump, honest.....

either way, mega whoopissshhhhhh BOVs suck... stealth owns.

Edited by CaM

well obviously i want power otherwise you think i would comtemplate spending a large amount of money just to get a whoosh sound?? I might as well hook up some sort of loud speaker to go whoosh everytime i let go of the accelerator!

Anyway everyone has a right to their own likes and dislikes....and there are a lot of nice whistling sound making bovs around.

but 1st on my list would be an m tech kit and suspension so some nice handling.

Anyway thanks for the useful info provided.

And what is rice? from what i think if a bov is 'rice' wouldnt that red car ive seen on the forum with the huge intercooler on the front be 'rice' as well? SOrry dont mean to pick on the owner just stating an example. again apologies...!

its nice to have forums like these ive learnt a lot already. thanks.

also what about supercharger kits? in terms of price and power? sorry about all the questions. but then again i dont want too much power that it will go sliding everytime it rains either...

As for a 325 im just not after the extra power but ever since i have heard the blow off sound ive always wanted one! :unsure:

Getting a turbo just for a BOV is rice.

Glenns intercooler is there for performance. Not looks or sound.

Guest Andrew

And what is rice? from what i think if a bov is 'rice' wouldnt that red car ive seen on the forum with the huge intercooler on the front be 'rice' as well? SOrry dont mean to pick on the owner just stating an example. again apologies...!

uhh cept he has a 218 rear wheel kW e30 with a twin turbo straight 6 in it...

Its a well published that E30's have quite poor (or fun, if thats how you want to look at it) handling in the wet.

As for difference between turbo and superchargers, turbos generally make more peak power but a supercharger should have way more bottom end, no turbo lag either. Obviously way more to it than that but that is the main differnce. Might be an idea to try and find a few good books if your really interested in that sort of thing.

Guest Andrew

Its a well published that E30's have quite poor (or fun, if thats how you want to look at it) handling in the wet.

its all to do with tyres -

they handle perfectly in the wet - little understeer with mild oversteer on nice nice tyres.

but that mild oversteer you talk about has caught lots of inexperienced drivers out

EDIT- also most people don't have nice nice tires

Edited by petone

any vehicle will go sideways.... my wife put a Ford transit lwb sideways :mosh: (deliberatly) (see drove the film crews in the Police 10/7 TV show)

Anyway isn't sideways a natural way to corner? (of course only in a controled environment)

Actually planning an electric supercharger for mine, just waiting on parts. No one I've spoken to has had any experience with elec blowers on these, so am currently unsure as to how well it'll work...

Actually planning an electric supercharger for mine, just waiting on parts. No one I've spoken to has had any experience with elec blowers on these, so am currently unsure as to how well it'll work...

hey man i like that idea, can you pm me some more info on it or post a new topic on it,

cheers matt

damn seems like everyone here is not into looks but only performance...id rather have a bit of both rather than 1 extreme. Specially not extreme looks and no performance (i once saw a ad on trademe for a lancer mx with FULL evo kit including bonnet and blah blah... but 1.5 litre... !! :huh: )

And no one answered my question....What is RICE exactly? is it a 1000cc car full of performance stickers??

Edited by stolen

Getting a turbo just for a BOV is rice.

:wacko: ricephobia! Edited by stolen