Sign in to follow this  
stolen

Turboing an e30

damn seems like everyone here is not into looks but only performance...id rather have a bit of both rather than 1 extreme. Specially not extreme looks and no performance (i once saw a ad on trademe for a lancer mx with FULL evo kit including bonnet and blah blah... but 1.5 litre... !! :huh: )

And no one answered my question....What is RICE exactly? is it a 1000cc car full of performance stickers??

Rice - Pearl white seeds, used as staple food in many eastern countries.

Does that answer your question?

hahahahahaha

damn seems like everyone here is not into looks but only performance...id rather have a bit of both rather than 1 extreme. Specially not extreme looks and no performance (i once saw a ad on trademe for a lancer mx with FULL evo kit including bonnet and blah blah... but 1.5 litre... !! :huh: )

And no one answered my question....What is RICE exactly? is it a 1000cc car full of performance stickers??

Rice - Pearl white seeds, used as staple food in many eastern countries.

hahahahahaha

not really! :D

...And what is rice? from what i think if a bov is 'rice' wouldnt that red car ive seen on the forum with the huge intercooler on the front be 'rice' as well? SOrry dont mean to pick on the owner just stating an example. again apologies...

Yes, It would be rice if the IC & piping were polished, and I had is sacked on chromies dragging it's ass down the street.

And besides, you try and find a bumper to cover it!!!

AND

I'd prefer the word "incomplete" was used to describe my E30, as with all project cars "it is always a work in progress"

Guest Spargo

Electric s/c? What, a leaf blower?

Have you any idea how much power you need to blow the required amount of air? Certainly not off a 12V system you won't

Yes, It would be rice if the IC & piping were polished, and I had is sacked on chromies dragging it's ass down the street.

i see.. so chromes are rice!

And besides, you try and find a bumper to cover it!!!

yeah true

I'd prefer the word "incomplete" was used to describe my E30, as with all project cars "it is always a work in progress"

:thumb: sorry didnt mean to call your car rice or anything

Guest Andrew

damn seems like everyone here is not into looks but only performance..

most of our cars aren't finished - unlike you I already have the Mtech bodykit, LSD and handling goodings + fresh motor and complete rebuilt car.

So now i'm ready for real performance.

i see.. so chromes are rice!

yeah true

:thumb: sorry didnt mean to call your car rice or anything

I know, no worries.

I (pretty broadly) class rice as anything not from the factory, and serves no real purpose.

eg. A 737 wing on the back of a ford laser, Chromies that are so heavy I'm surprised the laser has enough power to 1. Turn them & 2. Stop turning them!!

I (pretty broadly) class rice as anything not from the factory, and serves no real purpose.

i see.. thanks

most of our cars aren't finished - unlike you I already have the Mtech bodykit, LSD and handling goodings + fresh motor and complete rebuilt car.

looks like i managed to piss (?) some people off in here. sorry didnt mean to just was bit dissapointed when i typed up what i thought to be shot down cos others had a diff opinion. Hope no hard feelings!

And Glenn, thats a very nice car by the looks i feel like i have power with 60kW at the wheels and you have 218hp!

Guest Andrew

i see.. thanks

looks like i managed to piss (?) some people off in here. sorry didnt mean to just was bit dissapointed when i typed up what i thought to be shot down cos others had a diff opinion. Hope no hard feelings!

And Glenn, thats a very nice car by the looks i feel like i have power with 60kW at the wheels and you have 218hp!

not pissed off - merely saying we aren't all just interested in performance.

im into a good healthy mix of looks and performance and handling.....it doesnt make economic sense to do much more to my engine even though i want to (not much i can doreally on my budget) being at uni and all.....but i do like my cars to look good too...but if they dont have speed/handling to back that up...then they are gay!

I have really good handling and what i think good styling ... but i don't have enough power .. and i'm perfectly fine with that ....

i see.. thanks

We're not pissed of, just voicing our opinions, joys of the interweb!!

218hp, hell no, I'd be a bit pissed at that.

218kw (292hp) at the wheels ~250kw(335hp) at the flywheel (depending on what loss you use (15%))

Oh, and if you do get shot down, don't worry, it's just the internet.

Ask ///Carl, He's use to it, aye princess :)

Edited by E30-323ti

it doesnt make economic sense to do much more to my engine even though i want to (not much i can doreally on my budget) being at uni and all.....

Mate, you must be in the wrong course then, I built my M30 turbo from 1st to 2nd year engineering.. thanks work experience!

To Stolen, or anyone else keen -

If you want to do your turbo build right, I can supply engine mounts, turbo manifold, engine rebuild kit for M30 in an E30, I made/imported multiples of everything when I did mine. Can source engine also, I bought mine for $150!

Stock 200HP engine + 50% turbo increase (more or less depending how many bar you run) = good fun (Enough fun to tear LSD input shaft bearings to bits!):mosh:

Happy to help! :bounce:

Hah and about the work in progress - thats the nature of car modifications!

I think you'll find that most people are into looks as well, although not at the cost of performance. I hope you weren't too offened by what i said about the BOV. As for my car it also a work in progress i'm on a really tight budget at the momentso nothings been done for ages.

Now as for the electric supercharger:

A test was done using a leaf blower on a 4 cyl 2L car. When turned on the blower provided an extra 5% over most of the rev range. However that was with a 1.2kW motor, that means on a 12V system the current flow would be over 87 amps. Obviously it was a pretty crude fan/motor design but gives you an idea of how useless an electric supercharger would be.

no good having a hot girlfriend if she doesn't put out...

no good having a nympho girlfriend if she's poo ugly...

am i allowed to say that? is it a nice metaphor? i dunno

the average age on this forum is uder 25 so performance mods generally come second i feel after aesthetics because of insurance.

im doing BCom/LLB..not a big engineering buff

i probably could find out a way to budget a m20 turbo, but i prefer to have money to live, beer and petrol mainly

Mate, you must be in the wrong course then, I built my M30 turbo from 1st to 2nd year engineering.. thanks work experience!
really? sh*t im doing engineering and i wouldnt have a clue how to turbo a car! :unsure: but then again im doing electrical and electronic ....

If you want to do your turbo build right, I can supply engine mounts, turbo manifold, engine rebuild kit for M30 in an E30, I made/imported multiples of everything when I did mine. Can source engine also, I bought mine for $150!

sh*t id be happy with just that engine for now! so how much did it all end up costing you?

Stock 200HP engine + 50% turbo increase (more or less depending how many bar you run) = good fun
i wouldnt mind that!
(Enough fun to tear LSD input shaft bearings to bits!):mosh:

but maybe not that!

thanks!

Edited by stolen

I think you'll find that most people are into looks as well, although not at the cost of performance. I hope you weren't too offened by what i said about the BOV.

fcuk no worries bro

As for my car it also a work in progress i'm on a really tight budget at the momentso nothings been done for ages.

yeah im the same actually never should have got those credit cards!

:finger: :finger: :finger:

You're a bad smell glenn that won't leave me alone

:finger: :finger: :finger:

You're a bad smell glenn that won't leave me alone

ROFL

ah, you love it!!

Got that diff in yet??

really? sh*t im doing engineering and i wouldnt have a clue how to turbo a car! :unsure: but then again im doing electrical and electronic ....

sh*t id be happy with just that engine for now! so how much did it all end up costing you?

i wouldnt mind that!

but maybe not that!

thanks!

Dude im doing electrical and electronic, an engineers an engineer!

OK my primary interest is mechanical, Im doing computer systems for the money :)

It cost me about 2 grand and countless hours all up, thats with a brand new $1100 turbo. Did my work experience for a legendary engineer over here on the shore, got to do all my fabrication there and I still do.

:bowdown:

Dude im doing electrical and electronic, an engineers an engineer!

really... im 4th year EEE at UoA we might be in the same lectures. Id love to see your car bro.

It cost me about 2 grand and countless hours all up, thats with a brand new $1100 turbo. Did my work experience for a legendary engineer over here on the shore, got to do all my fabrication there and I still do.

ohh thanks quite lucky.

the average age on this forum is uder 25 so performance mods generally come second i feel after aesthetics because of insurance.

Well I definitely don't fit into the average age group quoted..... definitely qualify as old fart...

but busy getting my E30 sorted. Mtech kit first, just finished lowering and added 17" and modding the rear end to get rid of excess camber, next is power.... my idea is make it handle properly BEFORE adding HP... have driven turbo 325's a few years back and, man, do they make POWER!! But get VERY tail happy....

By the way, got told off this morning in a wheel shop while getting my alignment checked... young fella doing it reckoned that I was too old to drive a car like mine, that he would look far better in it!! cheeky sh t !! :rambo:

Well I definitely don't fit into the average age group quoted..... definitely qualify as old fart...

but busy getting my E30 sorted. Mtech kit first, just finished lowering and added 17" and modding the rear end to get rid of excess camber, next is power.... my idea is make it handle properly BEFORE adding HP... have driven turbo 325's a few years back and, man, do they make POWER!! But get VERY tail happy....

By the way, got told off this morning in a wheel shop while getting my alignment checked... young fella doing it reckoned that I was too old to drive a car like mine, that he would look far better in it!! cheeky sh t !! :rambo:

Don't worry, I'm in the old fart category too.

Sounds like you have got a really nice car there.

Cheers

Grant