Sign in to follow this  
Andre3000

Yamaha XS360 Cafe Project

I recently acquired a 1977 Yamaha xs360 for and am in the process of refurbing the rusty pos.

Heres a picture before i started stripping:

post-2821-1312796921.jpg

The idea is to recondition the entire drive train and engine, and turn it into a sleek simple bobber/cafe hybrid. On a small ass budget. Having the Air NZ engineering training facilities at my disposal will help monumentally.

Since then I've removed the engine which is coming apart tomorrow to source the stiffness (crank doesn't want to budge).

As you can see the forks are almost scrap, but I was hoping someone would be able to recommend a HARD chromer in the AKL region, or a good motorcycle junk yard.

Anyone keen to see a full write-up? This is going to keep me entertained for the next few months till parts roll in for the e30.

I'm keen. I'd like to live vicariously through your project as my wife has declared a flat "no" to any motorcycle for me.

Anyone keen to see a full write-up? This is going to keep me entertained for the next few months till parts roll in for the e30.

Yep.

Dead keen! I might do similar when i run into some spare cash! (I need to get a 250 to finish my licence on, but dont wanna pay the premium for a good condition 250 lol. Fixing one would be preferable.)

im building a bike also, i got a 2000 virago 250 for cheap and im going to build a bobber. just in the vining stage now then i can chop it up. keep the updates coming along.

So who's in for a "Bimmersport Bike Build Off"?

This is my latest purchase.

Now has new VIN, plates and WOF so fun is soon to begin.

post-3653-1312877668.jpg

All i'll say is 'Cafe & black"

Write up would be cool.

As long as it gets updated more often than your E30 project did :D

Have always wanted to do this, but have way to many hobbies ATM.

this is my bike when i got it

post-4759-1312920381.jpg

Whats your understanding of the re vinning process Kerry? I'm not too sure myself atm. Was gonna have a good chat to the inspector at vtnz but haven't got round to it yet.

On another note, cylinder 2 was stuck solid, had to use hydraulic press to put a hole in the top of the piston.... Have been soaking it since Sun so hopefully will get the barrels off when i get time later this week, will pop some photos up then.

This is what i did re the VIN process.

My bike hadn't been in the system EVER, no plates or even ownership papers, was bought brand new from Honda NZ but must've been used on a farm or something as there was no trace of it anywhere, VTNZ, NZTA or NZ Police. Lots of people said don't even try as it's all too hard.

We have a guy here in NP that works part time at VTNZ that does the bike re-vinning, he's also a keen biker so he made the whole process easy.

Get a form from VTNZ or AA that you take to cop shop, they fill it in to say they have no interest in the bike.

(You'll need as much info' as you can get ie: old plate/s, old ownership papers or last owners details)

All i had was a reciept from the guy i bought it from, the Honda frame # and my license.

Also don't let them (Police) tell you that they don't fill out those forms anymore, it's BS.

Get bike up to WOF standard.

(mine just needed 2 tyres, park light bulb and 1 mirror. Only 1 mirror needed for WOF)

Make appointment for re-vin, fill out the form they give you (can't remember the form #)

Pay $128 for certification, it's for a strict WOF and a VIN plate rivetted to bike.

Go into office, fill out form MR2A, pay $273.86, that's for a new plate, new reg' label and 6 months reg' (Vehicle license)

Enjoy riding 'round on a slow noisey old bike all summer, that's what i'm planning haha.

One thing to watch tho' is brake disc thickness.

This is a grey area and will depend on who does your bike.

If the bike is a '91 or before then you DON'T have to provide a check sheet for disc thickness, if after '91 then you do, however....................They may make you do it, which means book it in to a bike shop and pay upwards of $150 for some monkey to measure the disc.

BUT here's the kicker.

The regulation only states the disc must be measured by a COMPETENT person, and as i'm sure you can read a digital vernier you qualify as competent.

The biggest thing with going through the re-vin process is DON'T believe everything one person tells you...........sh*t that means don't believe a thing i just wrote haha.

Let us know how ya get on.

Edited by bellicose

thats correct. i wrote my own brake declaration and all was fine. had to provide all receipts possible for proof of purchase etc. some guys are real anal when it comes to these things.

Seeing as my bikes 1977 then i doubt i'll have any trouble. Cheers for that.

Ordered all of my replacement parts off ebay today, so should be putting things back together in a few weeks.

I also have some free time at Air NZ so I'm gna fold up a custom battery box out of 36 thou commercial aluminium.

Will post up some pics tomorrow of engine.

So who's in for a "Bimmersport Bike Build Off"?

This is my latest purchase.

Now has new VIN, plates and WOF so fun is soon to begin.

post-3653-1312877668.jpg

All i'll say is 'Cafe & black"

Where did you get this from? I got one of these Honda CD250U's so my son could get his licence - found it at the VCC Canterbury swap meet last year. They are somewhat uncommon in NZ - being only made originally for the UK market (with MPH speedo) or Australian market (with KPH speedo). Sounds like I was luckier than you, mine had live plates when I got it! :D

Where did you get this from? I got one of these Honda CD250U's so my son could get his licence - found it at the VCC Canterbury swap meet last year. They are somewhat uncommon in NZ - being only made originally for the UK market (with MPH speedo) or Australian market (with KPH speedo). Sounds like I was luckier than you, mine had live plates when I got it! :D

Yep they are a bit of a rarity (read 0ddity). The MPH speedo is annoying tho', also no rev' counter. Will be putting a digital tacho' on it soon along with a 14 tooth front sprocket so it doesn't sound like it's going to explode at 60mph.

I found it on a farm wwaayy out the back of Stratford. The photo' is how i got it, and the thing runs like a sewing machine. If it wasn't for the pipes you wouldn't hear it running.

Cost me $500, 2 tyres $90, mirror $20, park light bulb 60c, cert' (VIN) $128, plates & 6 mths reg' $273.86.

So i think it's a fun little summer bike for under a grand.

PS: This is my other bike.

post-3653-1313886101.jpg

Mine was $550. Got a WOF OK, but had to weld up a couple of holes in the mufflers, and straighten the footpegs. Removing the spider's cobwebs from the inside of the switches worked a treat... But she goes well! :rolleyes:

Whats the 848r up2? Could be persuaded to sell?

this is were im at now, had a good weeks work on it. its sweet weather to ride at the moment so im going to ride all week i think.

Posted Image

That's a cool XV250 Kerry.

I'm up for a Bimmersport bike built off. I'm doing up a ZZR600 at the moment, polished frame/swingarm, USD's, RS250 GP replica tail unit, custom gauges and shorty neptune cans. Just a simple and tidy streetfighter.

Hey guys, have started a thread for us Bimmersport bike owners. Chuck pic's of ya bikes in there and we'll get the mod's to clean up Andrews thread.

cheeRS.

Heres a few pics of the engine that i just deseized.

After soaking in wd40/kerosene for almost a week, I finally managed to pull the cylinders off.

Clearly im gonna need new pistons.....

post-2821-1314239383.jpg

And you can clearly see the corroded line around the cylinders

post-2821-1314239388.jpg

And the tools i used once id cracked it with the hydaulic press :ph34r:

post-2821-1314239424.jpg

Next up Im gna split the case, clean it all up and reassemble with an good condition second hand top end.