Sign in to follow this  
pommy

no klms on E30

I have bought a new project E30 and the klms are not clicking over but everything else is working? does anyone have ideas? could it be the sensor on the back of the diff?

cheers.

If the speedo's working it'll be in the dash.

Have a similar problem with my e30. It never counted the miles, so one day I stripped the cluster apart and found the plastic gears that turn the numbers over had been tampered with as if someone had tried winding it back.

I still haven't replaced it though

Quite common for the little plastic sproket that winds the km over to strip the teeth.

the cog has probably broken inside the cluster, same thing happened on my e28. Annoying thing is it's the only cog that is stuck on with thread lock stuff so it's almost impossible to take a good condition one off of a spare cluster. I managed to fix mine but admittedly I did split the replacement cog a little (still works though)

Thanks Guy's the Cluster must be the problem I will take it out and have a look, the good thing is it has full history and from the last wof/service is does marry up so must have recently happened.

Is there any pointers I need to know before I break it? Ray if you read this I hope you have another one in stock lol!

Very basic to unclip/screw apart.

yes very comon for e28 , e30 e23 , e24 , small gear on the motor that drives the odometer barrols breaks or splits etc

Ok so i have taken out the clocks! Can anyone assist me with how to fix it. As i scared im going to break it?

Have tried to upload pics but wont let me from my phone for some reason! Thanks.

I have bought a new project E30 and the klms are not clicking over but everything else is working? does anyone have ideas? could it be the sensor on the back of the diff?

cheers.

common problem for motometer stripping gears

can source new gears

cheers

Jon

I had the same scenario. Bought the car like that but the KM's had increased since last WOF 2 months before so must have been recent. I took it to Robinsons Instruments in Onehunga.

They took out the cluster and replaced the gears for me but that cost a pretty penny.

If you want someone to fix it I would take it to them but get the gears yourself and pull the cluster out to take to them so they don't charge you an arm and a leg.

I had the same scenario. Bought the car like that but the KM's had increased since last WOF 2 months before so must have been recent. I took it to Robinsons Instruments in Onehunga.

They took out the cluster and replaced the gears for me but that cost a pretty penny.

If you want someone to fix it I would take it to them but get the gears yourself and pull the cluster out to take to them so they don't charge you an arm and a leg.

cheers for that I might take it there! I have already taken it out so half the work is done cheers for the heads up.

common problem for motometer stripping gears

can source new gears

cheers

Jon

Hi Jon,

are you saying you can source the new gear(cog) for me? or you know where I can purchase one?

cheers Chris.

Is there any pointers I need to know before I break it? Ray if you read this I hope you have another one in stock lol!

Take a photo of the gears before dismantaling.

Dont loose the washers on the back of the temp and fuel gauges as thats the earth.

The inspection/warning light board has batteries on it that usually spill theyre guts, If they have damaged the Tracks on the board then you can solder and wire in new tracks.

Check the main board, its not too complicated as its a single sided circuit board, look for lifting in the tracks and dry joints. Especially around the connectors. Lots of people yank these around when removing and the solder just car hold it. Use a solder sucker to remove old solder and re-apply new.

Electrically, the system isnt that complicated ..

the clear plastic face is fused to the cluster ,, gental prying with a knife will open this if its the first time open.

One last thing and probably the most important, the needles are made of waffer thin alloy .. you dont really get a second chance if you bump them ... they just snap.

I have just refurbished mine with a general tidy up. So close to just replacing all gauges with Stack or VDO Classic equivilants.. im over e30 gauges.