Sign in to follow this  
jcerecke

New work car, e39 Touring

Just purchased this out of Japan. Picked her up on Saturday morning and drove her from Auckland to Chch over the weekend. Very happy with it so far.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm learning new cool things about it every time I drive it. Just experienced heated seats for the first time today haha, awesome. I'm sure I'll have more questions in time, but ones that I have right now are:

When you're in tiptronic mode, and you slow down to a stop it puts the gear into 2nd automatically. Does this mean it's OK and normal to drive off from 2nd?

I got the fault codes checked out and cleared, then drove and rechecked and the only code that was thrown was the Cam angle sensor. Car seems to run fine although I noticed the Sunday morning when I started it in palmerston north it kind of jerked going down the road a bit, I threw it into manual and all was good, so went back to drive and it didn't do it afterwards, except for like once when I put my foot down to pass someone. Is it possible the fault is false?

Also does anyone know the process to through with the whole car dealer/consumer guarantees act thing if I wanted to get something checked out? Do I pay for it myself and then get the dealer to reimburse me, or what?

Anyway, love love love it. First decent sized engine for me, and modern car. Looking to do something with the screen in the front, either dynavin or custom carPC. I really want to get the resler interface and see what damage I can do within the ibus system. Then upgrade the audio with some better speakers and a small sub. But that's for the future, car stung me for enough as it is.

Looks good, very nice in alpine. The cam sensor fault will be the sensor itself, very common, can cause the car to have hard starting issues and be quite gutless.

The trans going into 2nd when coming to a stop is normal.

Looking to do something with the screen in the front, either dynavin or custom carPC. I really want to get the resler interface and see what damage I can do within the ibus system. Then upgrade the audio with some better speakers and a small sub. But that's for the future, car stung me for enough as it is.

Nice car - white version of mine !

It is a slippery slope once you start down that track :PB)

I got hooked and so far I have done MKIV Nav, Version 13 Bluetooth ULF, DICE Ipod Integration, AV Input leads and I have just ordered a DVB-T tuner :P :P

Expensive to do all this, but works really good and gives what is a ten year old car features of new models ( voice control etc )

Enjoy !

On my fog light dial switch, I can switch it to the right to turn the fog lights on. A green (I think) symbol pops up in the cluster. But there's another position on the switch further to the right which is momentary (the switch jumps back to the "on" position). And this toggles another light on the cluster which look very similar to the fog light symbol (maybe very slightly different) and it's the standard orangey interior light colour. Any idea of what it is? The symbol on the extra switch position itself is of two fog lights facing away from each other (which is different to the cluster light that it toggles).

The second one is the rear fog light.

You can tell the difference as the green symbol is a dipped beam.

On my fog light dial switch, I can switch it to the right to turn the fog lights on. A green (I think) symbol pops up in the cluster. But there's another position on the switch further to the right which is momentary (the switch jumps back to the "on" position). And this toggles another light on the cluster which look very similar to the fog light symbol (maybe very slightly different) and it's the standard orangey interior light colour. Any idea of what it is? The symbol on the extra switch position itself is of two fog lights facing away from each other (which is different to the cluster light that it toggles).

Nice in alpine white. Get the wood trim swapped for alu or carbon style and the whole car will be transformed

Nice in alpine white. Get the wood trim swapped for alu or carbon style and the whole car will be transformed

agreed, changed my wood trim out for aluminium.. makes it look 10 years newer!

Have the e39 manual in pdf if you want i can email it to you?

I found a pdf manual on e38.org but it didn't have that in i (that I could find)t. If yours is any different I'd love it.

Also does anyone know the process to through with the whole car dealer/consumer guarantees act thing if I wanted to get something checked out? Do I pay for it myself and then get the dealer to reimburse me, or what?

Hey congrats.

Re CGA, you'll need to tell the dealer you bought it from and give them a chance to rectify the problem. If the car is now at a different city to the selling dealer, you will still have to call the dealer, explain the issue, and work out the next steps from there. The main thing is you'd want to inform the dealer of the issues as soon as they arise.

hi shane,

i would love it if you could email it to me,

cheers

jody