Sign in to follow this  
slowe30

stud conversion

has anyone converted their bmw to having studs and nuts instead of having bolts. i really do hate the bolts and want to fit some studs (hope fully some pull through ones) but want to know if anyones done it before and where to get them from?

and would anyone know if any subaru would have the same stud thickness as an e30, dont really mind the thread pitch as ill be getting the nuts to suit what ever studs i get

thanks

Posted Image

you mean like that? someone on trademe was selling them before hand, 10 dollars each without nuts. 57mm in length. i was going to run them with 10mm spacer, but got new wheels instead. drove around for about a week, didnt loosen or anything like that. not really worth it unless you switch wheels very frequently.

just use a plastic stick or the wheel stud alignment tool in your e30's tool box

yea thats what i mean, i just get fed up with mucking round with the bolts. new set of mags will hopefully be on the cards but thats closer to the bottom of the pile, engine brakes and suspension are much more important than the looks in my books

excuse the apparent ignorance, but whats the advantage of these?

excuse the apparent ignorance, but whats the advantage of these?

If you have your wheels machined down or have wheels with a "thinner mounting surface" l was told when you tighten your bolts into the rear brake hub, they will extend too far and damage the drum brake set-up, if this applies to you, suppose studs would fix this?

you can change the wheels like a jap car :D its just faster, thats all.

I would say its easier with studs.. Preference i suppose

If you have your wheels machined down or have wheels with a "thinner mounting surface" l was told when you tighten your bolts into the rear brake hub, they will extend too far and damage the drum brake set-up, if this applies to you, suppose studs would fix this?

Ahh this makes sence. Thanks

I used a threaded rod cut down into equal lengths, locktited in for now - need to pop a weld in at the back of the hub to stop them loosening when you are removing them. If you're doing it this way go to a supplier who can give you the strength of the rod.

post-15572-1316170493.jpg

something like this would be preferred but with the rear brake drum do you know how much clearance there is?

if a set of these would fit then they would be my first choice (not these excact ones, just very similar)

if these dont work then ill most likely stick with the bolts, evan tho they are a PITA

Main advantages are ease of mounting of the wheel but another key one is the fact that if you take your wheels on and off lots these help protect against hub thread damage.

has anyone converted their bmw to having studs and nuts instead of having bolts. i really do hate the bolts and want to fit some studs (hope fully some pull through ones) but want to know if anyones done it before and where to get them from?

and would anyone know if any subaru would have the same stud thickness as an e30, dont really mind the thread pitch as ill be getting the nuts to suit what ever studs i get

thanks

Go and see Kayne Barrie, he supplies them. I have used them on the race cars the last few years and they are great.