Sign in to follow this  
KRZY-E30

First Engine Mods For E30 325i

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of doing some engine mods to my E30 325i. As it will be getting a manual conversion put in next week. So wanted to get some parts ready to add more power.

First mod I was thinking is taking out the factory Air box and replacing it with a K&N Cone Pod Filter?

I was wondering does anyone know where I could get a Air Intake + Filter Kit with Shield? Been looking on Ebay but there isn't much, only saw this " Carbon Fibre" Cold Air Intake Kit.

Link

Whats everyone's opinions on this?

Also wanting to get a Exhaust System as well.Was thinking getting it from manifold to rear twin muffler. Size 2.5" But I'm not sure of the prices?

Does anyone know mates that work at Magoo Mufflers? who would do a good price?

Any opinions would greatly help!

Thanks

Mike

If you really need a filter go for a panel filter that slots into the factory slot. You will not get any noticable power from modifications that far from the engine. Anything that has a proper benefit will need a tune to suit it.

I'd be spending the money on headers, cam and tune if you want more power.

Good luck either way

If you really need a filter go for a panel filter that slots into the factory slot. You will not get any noticable power from modifications that far from the engine. Anything that has a proper benefit will need a tune to suit it.

I'd be spending the money on headers, cam and tune if you want more power.

Good luck either way

But the factory box is too big and clumsy. I'll take photos and let you guys know how I get on. I'm thinking about getting this Rear Muffler also Click

Edited by E30BM325i

The above muffler might be horribly loud. I had one like that on a car I wrecked. Sounds good, but very vocal - might attract the attention of the local constabulary.

After exhaust and intake, dollar for dollar an aftermarket computer usually provides the best gains.

The above muffler might be horribly loud. I had one like that on a car I wrecked. Sounds good, but very vocal - might attract the attention of the local constabulary.

After exhaust and intake, dollar for dollar an aftermarket computer usually provides the best gains.

I used to have something similar to this muffler on my old 325. It sounded nice..Also loud only if you rev it high. but doing 50km at 1500rpm isn't bad its more of a humbling tone.

where could i get a computer from?

headers ,sports camshaft , ecu remap

anything else is a waste of money

Hey mike,

Give me a call Monday, have some ideas and e30 goodies tucked away that could help with improving your project

Cheers

Jon

Dont get a pod, they're a waste of time, the factory air box is superior by far imo.

I saw something on here about a W.A.R chip, sounds like good bang for buck if you ask me.

I've gone the mapecu way, an NZ creation so the support around here is amazing. Complete self tune if you've got a windows laptop. Using it eliminates the chunky barn door AFM so you get better flow, also gives u a crazy throttle response.

When i had my 325i, i was pushing 195hp at the wheels with AFM removal and a new fuel map & headers from Wayney on here.

If you wanna have a look or need some advice drop me a pm.

Hey mike,

Give me a call Monday, have some ideas and e30 goodies tucked away that could help with improving your project

Cheers

Jon

Hey Jon,

Oh that sounds nice! Will call you then! And can't wait for the manual conversion kit!

Thanks so much! :D :D :D

Thanks Brent will take that into mind! Am going to sort out a good pricing for the Exhaust system- Manifold straight to 2.5" Twin Eurostyle Muffler. Then ask around about getting Cams done. Then a performance chip.

Thanks for you're input

Mike.

Dont get a pod, they're a waste of time, the factory air box is superior by far imo.

I saw something on here about a W.A.R chip, sounds like good bang for buck if you ask me.

I've gone the mapecu way, an NZ creation so the support around here is amazing. Complete self tune if you've got a windows laptop. Using it eliminates the chunky barn door AFM so you get better flow, also gives u a crazy throttle response.

When i had my 325i, i was pushing 195hp at the wheels with AFM removal and a new fuel map & headers from Wayney on here.

If you wanna have a look or need some advice drop me a pm.

Ah I also heard about the W.A.R Chip too. I'll try get my friend to find me something while he's in Thailand. Not sure if the quality will be the same? But please do give me more advice! As I'd like to learn as much as possible :)

I'm going to do some research on this " W.A.R Chip" and remapping the ecu. As I'm not strong in knowledge of it.

Thanks for the help! :)

I'm going to do some research on this " W.A.R Chip" and remapping the ecu. As I'm not strong in knowledge of it.

AFAIK they're just 27C-family EEPROMs and are worth $4 but an old ECU is still an old ECU...

a programmer costs up to $50 maybe.

Hey sorry for the hijack - I'm keen on getting some extra power out of my e30 M325 too. From what I have read though the exhaust, apart from the muffler, all the way from the exhaust manifold is good as is. Same goes for the intake. Other sites recommend cam and valve spring changes followed by remap or tune and only then changing the exhaust manifold in order to get more from the M20. Truth? If so where best to get bits from?

I know the best route is probably to go to a M50 but I'd like to keep my car largely original. Has anyone done a swap for a S14? Or is that just too expensive?

yep 100% agree and stock airbox theres good reason why they are so big, if the pod filter was so good it would have been in there from stock.

i'll probably start a flame war for saying this, but remapping an old ECU is like polishing a turd.

remapping still leaves you with the poor throttle response which is characteristic of the old control systems like the potentiometer-style AFM. only mods to my M20B20 are Megasquirt 2, pod filter and Bosch direct ignition. (i removed the distributor and blanked it off). embarrased a cefiro and B16 integra yesterday.

Do you have any dyno figures Barf? Not doubting you just wanting to see what gains are possible.

i'll probably start a flame war for saying this, but remapping an old ECU is like polishing a turd.

remapping still leaves you with the poor throttle response which is characteristic of the old control systems like the potentiometer-style AFM. only mods to my M20B20 are Megasquirt 2, pod filter and Bosch direct ignition. (i removed the distributor and blanked it off). embarrased a cefiro and B16 integra yesterday.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol

yep remapping is a waste of time......thats why most do it( every person in the e30 class) and since you have some idea of how things work why would you bother with a crappy pod filter, what yourve listed isnt straight forward or that cheap.

Edited by crunchy

I know of one 3.1lt M20 with std intake manifold, 'barn door' AFM and STD Motronic ECU that has the measure of E36 M3s and the throttle response is excellent.

Do you have any dyno figures Barf? Not doubting you just wanting to see what gains are possible.

I'd encourage you to question anything you read on the Internet ;-)

on NZEFi's dynapack i put down 74kW and 140Nm (roughly factory figures) but I've made gains since by street tuning. only could afford 1 hour on the dyno its bloody expensive.

that e30 class based racing sucks, you're not allowed to change the engine management system so of course ppl are remapping. duh crunchy....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol

yep remapping is a waste of time......thats why most do it( every person in the e30 class) and since you have some idea of how things work why would you bother with a crappy pod filter, what yourve listed isnt straight forward or that cheap.

so you aren't able to realise that air flow restriction leads to poor volumetric efficiency which will effect a ceiling on the torque you can produce? go troll a honda forum?

so you aren't able to realise that air flow restriction leads to poor volumetric efficiency which will effect a ceiling on the torque you can produce? go troll a honda forum?

oh gifted one IF there was a restriction then yes but since many use it and they work very well and since were only talking about a engine that makes the better part of 120hp i realy dought theres a problem and ive done may setups in last 25years that make a lot more hp than that with a afm and hondas run speed density dork.

i would say the head/cam/throttle body would back things up more than the afm, as for your mega squirt the ones ive tuned dont hold a/f well the tune constantly changes day to day but you get what you pay for.

as for the e30 class the remapping regardless works well and very reliable tell ya what you go run your weapon against them and lests see how great thou are.

Edited by crunchy

oh gifted one IF there was a restriction then yes but since may us it and work very well and since were only talking about a engine that makes the better part of 120hp i realy dought theres a problem and ive done may setups in last 25years that make a lot more hp than that with a afm and hondas run speed density dork.

i would say the head/cam/throttle body would back things up more than the afm, as for your mega squirt the ones ive tuned dont hold a/f well the tune constantly changes day to day but you get what you pay for.

you can't tune a megasquirt? if so, don't blame the equipment. pretty sure there are some records still standing held by Megasquirts on the salt flats... i've had zero problems with unwanted lambda transience on the ones i've built, tested, installed and tuned.

if you want to insult me do it in a PM please, there was a thread here with someone asking for advice on M20 tuning.

you can't tune a megasquirt? if so, don't blame the equipment. pretty sure there are some records still standing held by Megasquirts on the salt flats... i've had zero problems with unwanted lambda transience on the ones i've built, tested, installed and tuned.

if you want to insult me do it in a PM please, there was a thread here with someone asking for advice on M20 tuning.

ah dude you should read what you write telling me to go troll a honda forum, i wont bother telling you who i am or what i do but on the salt flats to which ive been to a carb would work the same for wide open throttle as for my ability to tune?

yep all those records my setups have done local and world in the last 25yrs were just good luck, and yes the thread was about what to do for a m20 but twas you saying afm and remapping was a waste of time and since you could only afford 1 hour on dyno then the rest is just hear say and dont pm me ive already wasted enough time talking to you.

Edited by crunchy

Some people just dont know when to give it a rest! No wonder were losing the older and or more experienced members when weve got idiots telling people to troll honda forums...why dont you take your own advise and go troll a honda forum