Sign in to follow this  
F20-91

jolt under car when driving down hill

Happened a few times lately. When driving down hill (usually slowing down on a downhill corner) i feel a sudden jolt like something has knocked something underneath my car somewhere on the drive shaft or somewhere along those lines. It doesn't happen always and only does it at certain loads around down hill corners.. any ideas

I heard a knock etc...in certain driving situations that turned out to be a loose front suspension strut. Maybe something similar at the back end of yours?

all ready replaced diff hanger bush, next step maybe.. guibo/u-joint on drive shaft and trans mounts?

My E30 did this when the CSB and Guibo were completely f**ked.

My E30 did this when the CSB and Guibo were completely f**ked.

What is a csb?

cheers

Centre support bearing - holds the driveshaft up about half way down the car.

We have checled all of those and they all look fine. Only thing that has a question,ark over it is the rear shock tophats, as per other thread. Hmm

Im not sure if it does or not.. but does the diff have any hard mounted bolts ?

I had an issue twice where all of my diff bolts where loose .. it caused sloppy handling and lots of strange noises.

I ended up lock tighting them in after the second time it happened. This was after I even cleaned the threads and torqued them correctly.

Theyre quite hard to see, and really need socket on them to check.

Just took the diff out recently when I did the rear diff bushing. Reinstalled and checked it, was all torqued back on well and no play in it. My money is on the rear trailing arm bushings, when Andi and I had a look at them they did look a little dodgy. Its bazaar the car only makes this jolt on a couple of downward cornering hills in town.. it feels like something is shifting or slamming under the car.. it's weird.

Just took the diff out recently when I did the rear diff bushing. Reinstalled and checked it, was all torqued back on well and no play in it. My money is on the rear trailing arm bushings, when Andi and I had a look at them they did look a little dodgy. Its bazaar the car only makes this jolt on a couple of downward cornering hills in town.. it feels like something is shifting or slamming under the car.. it's weird.

Check the rubber mounts of the exhaust!!! Especially at the end, the ones that hold the muffler.

Andi

:gay:

Check the rubber mounts of the exhaust!!! Especially at the end, the ones that hold the muffler.

actually i didnt check those i dont think

My e30 made similar noises. Quite sure it was the rear subframe bushes, with the tapered pins that go up under the rear seat, I replaced all the bushes in the rear end, everything looked OK that came out, with the exception of those two which were knackered.

Edited by Jacko