Sign in to follow this  
briancol

The Rena stranding.

Probably because in true NZ style about fifteen thousand pieces of paper are required before any form of money can be spent.

The oil hasn't even been pumped off the boat yet? WTF.

Its been too rough...

I agree things may have started off too slowly, but things are moving along quickly now. There is 200~ people in the command center :S

I don't really get these people moaning about NZ bureaucracy and that John Key should have done more etc.

Obviously they have never lived in foreign countries because I can assure you they would be just as 'slow' or worse.

I'm no John Key fanboy, but what was he expected to do?

I'm no John Key fanboy, but what was he expected to do?

The way some of the politicians are talking.... he should have swam out there...shuved a hose up the ships arse and syphoned the oil out into a dingy.... yeah right.... the pricks on the boat caused this problem... not John Key or any other politician or would be know it all

"Rena took a shortcut"

Environment Minister Nick Smith says the "Rena" hit Astrolabe reef because the Captain decided to take a short cut.

Speaking today on TV3's "The Nation" Mr Smith said that the path that was navigated was one in which the ship was trying to get into port quickly.

"Now that is rumour, I can't confirm that" he said.

"But it appears from the charts that they were in a rush to get to port, went full bore, cut the corner, and hit the reef."

Mr Smith defended the Government's response against charges that it was too little, too late.

"There's pretty ill-informed comment about the complexity of these sorts of salvage operations, and the consistent message I've had is what has taken place here is world's best practice."

Mr Smith was asked about a Maritime Industry New Zealand review of its oil pollution response capabilities in February this year.

The report concluded there was little New Zealand would be able to do stop oil reaching the shore and that the New Zealand response would be what it called a "shoreline based response".

"I think the fact is true, whether the oil spill is in New Zealand or in international waters, the options you have for the containment of the oil from vessels are pretty limited," said Mr Smith.

"I've for instance been pretty critical that booms were not used, the truth is that booms don't work in those conditions."

Mr Smith also denied claims made in the programme that the Government could have removed oil from the Rena if it had responded quicker.

"In terms of the question about a vessel it would have made nought difference if you had on the Wednesday, hours after that the vessel hit that reef, it would have made no difference in terms of getting the oil off shore."

The Nation is produced by Front Page Ltd for TV3 and NZ on Air.

I haven't been reading the news much lately on the Rena grounding, however 'just thought I would point out that this is not the oil you put in your car, nor crude oil.... It is HFO which needs to be heated to actually be any thinner than marmite. It was never going to spill all over the sea once the heating was cut.

These pics are from sunday..

http://photobucket.com/polley_bs //album

If I find the media have used them, I will hang you, by the nuts.

You could see the crack opening and closing in the swell as well as creaking and groaning. Im hoping to get out there on saturday and will take my gopro to get some sweet videos.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by polley

lol that crack aint big. some good ole no.8 wire, duct tape, some speights and good to go :D

How did you get out there? Part of the salvage operation?

Get boat, disregard exclusion zone.

jks...

Sorry guys, had to remove the photos...

Went out there this afternoon, and going out there again tomorrow.