Sign in to follow this  
APT

E30 Brake Booster/Master Cylinder Replacement

Ive completed my 5 stud conversion now and the brakes are still very spongy, they do stop the car but the brake pedal travel is excessive - (much like when i had my 4 stud kit on), ive used a pressure bleeder to bleed the brakes so i know there is no air in there.

Ive narrowed it down to the Brake booster and Master cylinder (as these are the only braking components left i haven't changed) Does anyone know any newer replacements for these parts ? I know i can get new master cylinders, but can i use brake boosters from another make of vehicle ? (VW..?)

Has anyone got any recommendations? Can i get my Booster rebuilt ?

(my car doesn't have ABS)

Thanks Team

upgrade you master cylinder? do a bit of reasearch on it, im looking at doing it also, i believe you use a e32 master cylinder and use a t piece to make the brake and lines add up and work.. brief way of explaining it..

changing the booster has been thought of alot because of the m5x conversions. ive got a porshe one and it still feals very bad. something i have though of tho is if there are any bushes or joints that could wear out in the brake pedal linkage system. id check that out before doing anything to the booster master cyl. ive got a big brake setup and sucked the system through at my work with the vaccum bleeder so know nothing is at fault there. it still feals horrible untill you stand on it though, then starts getting some fealing further down but definatly not enough

I am using E32 double diaphram booster and e32 master cylinder. My pedal is quite stiff, but it dosent need as much movement for the same braking pressure obviously.

I also use a wilwood adjustable biasing valve for the rear, with the new master cylinder it would brake too heavily in the rear and occasionally lock up. It will easily lock the front wheels, and i've never felt that I need to "stand" on the brakes to make it stop.

changing the booster has been thought of alot because of the m5x conversions. ive got a porshe one and it still feals very bad. something i have though of tho is if there are any bushes or joints that could wear out in the brake pedal linkage system. id check that out before doing anything to the booster master cyl. ive got a big brake setup and sucked the system through at my work with the vaccum bleeder so know nothing is at fault there. it still feals horrible untill you stand on it though, then starts getting some fealing further down but definatly not enough

FYI the porsche one isnt an upgrade. its on par with E30 at best. its only there fore the M50 conversion due to space constraints

To revive this thread does anyone know of the VW booster that works with e30s - need to make some more space :D

I find it just a bit ironic that people use VW Golf boosters in E30's, when the VW van folks use E30 boosters in T3 Transporters :lol:

all made by the same crowd anyway, Alto or something like that. a bit like transmissions, my Volvo 940 Turbo had the exact same ZF transmission as my E34 520i