Sign in to follow this  
ACS523i

96 E39 540i instrument cluster

My 96 e39 540i has a problem with the pixles on the ododmeter and trip computer, they have slowly been disappearing over the last week. Anyone know if there is a simpe fix for this, or do I need to locate a new instrument cluster??

Cheers

The pixel problem can be fixed. Give me a call

Thanks Glen, I'll call shortly. Is this a DIY?

I've also got to replace my Washer bottle pump motor, I'm no BMW mechanic so don't want to fiddle around with anything and make things worse, maybe you can recommend someone in Tauranga for me thats not going to cost an arm and a leg?

Cheers

Its not a DIY. Outfit called FixIt ( I think) & are in Tauranga too I think.

I believe they have just got new equipment & are able to repair all units now.

Washer pump should be easy.

Its not a DIY. Outfit called FixIt ( I think) & are in Tauranga too I think.

I believe they have just got new equipment & are able to repair all units now.

Washer pump should be easy.

+1 i have heard great things about them, though they werent able to do mine as aparently my car is a 520i Executive and is why it has an oddball cluster. not that thats related to you, but a search will bring up my thread of the same problem that had thier details in it

"Fix it" has a new machine as of a month ago, they can fix all pixel related issues, i sent my OBC four months ago to Fix it, they said it's f**ked, heard from them a month ago, got asked to send it back, it's now brand new!

If you are handy with a battery drill and know the basics of how the dash goes together I'd argue it is DIY.

The cause of the fault is a flexible ribbon between the circuit board and the display. This ribbon is glued to the board (not soldered as some have you believe) and held in place with rubber blocks. The rubber blocks don't apply enough pressure, so you slip in a piece of 0.25-0.5mm plastic sheet to apply more force. This presses the contacts back together.

The only hitch is you have to drill four holes in the cluster per the following guide to undo four screws.

Pics of where to drill holes

Drilling the holes was actually quite easy. The clear plastic is quite hard but the white plastic is soft and drills very easy.

Undoing the display screws then exposes the ribbon (yellow horizontal strip in this pic:

Posted Image

That's where I made a plastic shim around 5mm wide by 200mm and laid it on the contacts before putting the display back in place.

I went from 30% working pixels to 100%. It took about 90 minutes all up.

• Like 1

Can someone give me a website or other contact for fix it so I can go and see them

Cheers

Rusty Italian above has provided a site that shows/explains the procedure to fix DIY.

Above that Glenn said to call him to discuss & you said you would.

Also above you have been recommended "Fixit" can do it - Google or phone book maybe????

Otherwise Robinsons Instrument Service in Auckland can fix it. No I haven't got their number handy but it can easily be found:-

Edit SP

Edited by hotwire

Rusty Italian above has provided a site that shows/explains the procedure to fix DIY.

Above that Glenn said to call him to discuss & you said you would.

Also above you have been recommended "Fixit" can do it - Google or phone book maybe????

Otherwise Robinsons Instrument Service in Auckland can fix it. No I haven't got their number handy but it can easily be found:-

Edit SP

Thanks, I had already had a look in the local phone book, googled it etc and the only firm called Fixit in Tauranga is a Building renovation firm. I wouldn't trust myself with car electronics so DIY is a no no.... would be a quicker death for my E39 if I just drove it into the harbour ..... Have spoken to Glenn, a bit impractical driving up to Auckland and leavin it to be fixed as I need it for work otherwise he would have had the car by now.

I know the local BMW dealer uses somone local to fix them now so probably the same crowd, if I can avoid a dealer mark up that would be preferable.

Can anyone help with a contact name/ number for Fixit??

Sorry no number for Fixit although to be honest I haven't looked.

If you were to organise a time for Robinsons to do the job, you could drive up & wait a couple of hours for them to fix then drive back. No real difference to getting it fixed locally - car is still off the road regardless.

I can't remember where Fix it is, maybe tauranga, google it would help i'm sure.

Your best bet is to remove the dash cluster and send it off to be repaired, to either Glenn or someone else that does the repair.

It took me just over 5mins to remove mine from my E39.

It was as simple as removing the 2 Trim Pieces around the cluster (the Fake wood looking bits) I used a small Flat Head screw driver with Insulation tape over it to Lever these off.

Then removed 3x Screws exposed with a Philips Screw Driver.

There is 3x very small Allen Head screws to remove above these are black and might be hard to see (Look at the picture below to get an idea of where they are, you can see 2x of them), this allowed me to pull the cover (that covers the Dash Cluster) towards me, removed some connectors going to headlight switches etc, probably a good idea to disconnect the battery to begin with, as I found that unplugging the headlight switch resulted in the headlights being turned on.

Once that piece is out of the way there is 2x more Allan Head screws to remove on the dash cluster.

Then you can pull the entire unit out, adjust the steering wheel to the lower position before you start, allows easier access to pull the entire unit out, at which time you will need to pull out the 3 plugs attached to it

The same procedure on my old Honda Prelude took 6x longer and there was a lot more pieces to remove.

You can see where some of the screw holes are on this picture of mine.

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Your best bet is to remove the dash cluster and send it off to be repaired, to either Glenn or someone else that does the repair.

It took me just over 5mins to remove mine from my E39.

It was as simple as removing the 2 Trim Pieces around the cluster (the Fake wood looking bits) I used a small Flat Head screw driver with Insulation tape over it to Lever these off.

Then removed 3x Screws exposed with a Philips Screw Driver.

There is 3x very small Allen Head screws to remove above these are black and might be hard to see (Look at the picture below to get an idea of where they are, you can see 2x of them), this allowed me to pull the cover (that covers the Dash Cluster) towards me, removed some connectors going to headlight switches etc, probably a good idea to disconnect the battery to begin with, as I found that unplugging the headlight switch resulted in the headlights being turned on.

Once that piece is out of the way there is 2x more Allan Head screws to remove on the dash cluster.

Then you can pull the entire unit out, adjust the steering wheel to the lower position before you start, allows easier access to pull the entire unit out, at which time you will need to pull out the 3 plugs attached to it

The same procedure on my old Honda Prelude took 6x longer and there was a lot more pieces to remove.

You can see where some of the screw holes are on this picture of mine.

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thanks for that Charles

I will do the removal myself and drop it of to a place I found a place that can fix them here in Tauranga.

Hope you are well down there mate, I spent 11 months away from the family doing EQ damage assessments down in Christchurch (quite a few in NB) - was quite close to the city on 22 feb and 13 June so can appreciate what it's been like mate.

Take care

Hi all,

I just picked up my new (well, to me) '99 E39 540i. Only thing that annoys me with her, is the "high" obc display, being faded & pixeless for the most part. I'm in Christchurch, and not really wanting to be without the car or the panel by sending it away, nor am I overly comfortable with doing the above by myself.

Posted Image

Anyone local I can take it to for the job?

Cheers,

Brad

Edited by O_Mag

I just picked up my new (well, to me) '99 E39 540i. Only thing that annoys me with her, is the "high" obc display, being faded & pixeless for the most part. I'm in Christchurch, and not really wanting to be without the car or the panel by sending it away, nor am I overly comfortable with doing the above by myself.

Congrats on the 540i! nice :-)

If you're slightly mechanical in nature, it's quite easy to do youself.

Get the cable from pixelfix.net and follow the instructions. You WILL need a dremel/diegrander with variable speed and a drill type bit to make it easy though. a battery drill is too bulky really.

There may be a number of electronic shops (like audio/tv repair etc) that would be happy doing it though. Make sure they have acetone and a fibreglass pencil for cleaning the tracks on the board, and a plastic scraper (credit card etc) to clean the glass then tidy up with the fibreglass pencil.

I did mine at home in about 3 hours, but I was having to chase my 18 month old away quite a bit too :-) He likes tools.

Thanks :) Its not quite the Motorsport I wanted, but the misses said that I wasn't allowed to spend that much. Anyway, I would almost be brave enough to do it myself, but don't quite feel brave enough to try. And I am not overly keen on the idea of paying my usual mechanics (who are very good, if pricey) $685 for the repair!

Surely thats too high? Could I pick up a spare cluster, and 'recondition' it, and swap it out without any issues? Just don't want to be without a cluster because I was over zealous with the Dremel :)

Edited by O_Mag

Could I pick up a spare cluster, and 'recondition' it, and swap it out without any issues? Just don't want to be without a cluster because I was over zealous with the Dremel :)

No... its coded to the vehicle & LCM

Great. So, its either take the risk or fork out the kidney?

:(

What would I be looking at through you Glenn? Also, what sort of turn around do you think could be possible?

Edited by O_Mag

I had one repaired last week. I'll PM you my repairers details in the morning... remind me... email a request through to botanymotorworx@xtra.co.nz...You could also ring me on my 0800 number...it's free... in the morning any time after 6.30 am

Edited by *Glenn*