Sign in to follow this  
bravo

WTB 5-6m boat

Hi guys,

I'm in the market for a boat.

My budget is maximum $25k but I'd prefer to spend $20k or less and make some minor improvements, purchase some electronics, safety gear and maybe some toys like skis etc.

I'm looking for something in the 5-6m range and need to be able to tow it behind a late-model Nissan X-Trail without too much hassle.

I want a pleasure boat (not a fishing boat) for a bit of summer fun. Day trips in the Hauraki Gulf, Bay of Islands, and Coromandel areas, and water sports etc. Prefer cuddy cabin but would consider a bowrider.

Anyone got anything in the greater Auckland region or in Northland that they think may be of interest? Must be an absolutely solid boat that has been well maintained. I'm after an immaculate example and I'm a fussy bugger when it comes to boats.

Haines, Buccaneer, etc.

I dont think you can get immaculate for 20k....

But you can still get a perfectly good:

1. Haines V198 (killer sea boat with a 220 yamaha on back)

2. An old Smuggler asking for a 225hp outboard swung out on a pod. Dream hull, heavy and very deep.

3.Figlass Viscount (fantastic hull, tiny bit lighter than the haines and timeless styling)

4.Vista Craft 17'6" (grand hull, strong as hell, not too big)

5. Morgan 6.3 (fantastic big volume sea boat, huge vee, heavy as hell)

Buy one of those, immediately.

Cheers Nathan.

There's not alot around in the good, solid, older stuff in decent condition. It almost seems the newer the boat, the cheaper they get.

I've got my eye on a couple of the Aussie-built Haines Signature 520's at around $20-23k via a dealer.

I'm also looking at an older Steade craft in MINT condition at $12k - it's smaller and older than I'd like, but it is the definition of immaculate.

Finally I'm looking at a couple of ski boats that aren't real sea boats, but fit the bill for the next 1-2 summers at least. Plus they look good in the driveway :P

Drove a "ski boat" today - ugh! I know I'm spoilt with lots of time on high-powered, near-new, deep-vee RHIBs and jetboats at work, but this was truly awful.

So now I've added a couple of Buccaneers to the list. Away for the next 5 days so search continues next week...

Just spyed that Morgan. Needs some work and I couldnt tow it behind the xtrail. Buccaneer sold out from under me. Pitfa!

Build yourself a woodie and get all James Bond on it.

No jetski then?

I didn't like any of the second hand ones I looked at. So I test drove 5 new ones and the one I wanted was $25k so I thought - f**k it, buy a boat.

Build yourself a woodie and get all James Bond on it.

I suspect the ride might be sh*t, but if it handles chop OK, this tickles my fancy...

Classic Wooden Fleetcraft

Want to, but can't afford to...

Have decided need minimum 21degree deadrise because if I'm honest I'm an all weather boatie. Also 5.5m prob. minimum length too. Problem is balancing length (weight) with my tow vehicle. And while I could extend my budget to a more expensive boat, I'm NOT buying another car to tow it with.

At least I know what I don't like :)

The old Bonito Hydrolifts are also very very good boats. They did a larger one (21ft IIRC) but rare and too heavy for you to tow.

Look to be going with a 6m Steadecraft. Will post pics if deal goes through next week.

Son of a bitch low life vendor sold the boat out from under me. I didn't have a deposit, but we did have a deal and it should have gone through tomorrow, and I had spent a couple of days working through it with him.

I'm just venting, but the up shot is - still looking people...

FYI, it looked like this so you have an idea of where I was going:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Bummer, but you really need to put down a deposit to stop that sort of thing happening.

Make the deposit subject to suitable finance, that way you have an out without losing your deposit.

I might ring you about that Brian. I'm a cash buyer, so not sure whether that would stand up.

I didn't put a deposit down because he said he didn't need one, it was subject to pre-purchase inspection and I didn't want to lose a deposit if that didn't pan out, but we had a set price, and agreement to hold it (he had another interested buyer). Shook on a deal and the guy was by all accounts a GC, or at least appeared to be.

Turns out either that buyer waved cash in front of his nose, or a third one came along and did the same.

Totally bereft of ethics.

i had the same thing happen to me a month ago, pissed me right off.

As an expert master of circumventing trademe deals, I hate to say it but cash is king. The art of a good deal is research on your subject matter, seeing what you want, have cash ready then swoop asap, hassle them for a time ASAP without being over pushy and have money in hand.

It sucks, but its a bit of a buyers market on everything at the moment on things athat are worth buying.

Not saying in anyway its right .. just its ruthless out there.

Problem is Josh, you can't really do that in the boat market. It's not quite as simple as buynig a car and i suspect the buyer may be new to boats. No-one i know would buy anything except maybe a dinghy without having a surveyor take a look first.

So cash may be king, but a fool and his money are soon parted.

This is why I say research subject matter, know what youre buying .. get around a few of the experts of what goes wrong with what youre buying, join some forums of these sorts of things and clue up on the common things to look out for, especailly in the motor department. This cuts out a lot of the rubbish from the not so rubbish.

Look at what a good example should look like and what bad ones look like. This will give you a good cross section of the good from the bad and what goes wrong. Maybe take an expert you trust with you.

Youre buying a boat in peak season so unfortunately youre going to find more and more of this going on (under cutting and shafting)

Dunno bought many things this way, works for me. Never really been stung using this method. (not just talking cars either)

Neather has our family who has bought several keelers and several fizz boats over the years. Both wood and glass.

I think in this case it was just a douche and some bad luck. Not entirely unfamiliar with the subject matter.

Had a sudden rush of blood to the head and bought an immaculate Bullet 1850 with 200hp on the back.

Using GPS speed app on my iPhone we passed 52kts and still accelerating during sea trials and I had to put the phone down and hang on (a$shole firmly puckered). Thinking mid-high 60kts top speed if it's flat enough and trimmed out. In other words it is insanely fast.

Have paid for it and will pick up later in the week. Will post pics then.

That will be a heap of fun if it is set up right, once you learn to drive it. Give yourself some time to build up to it gradually if you have not driven one of these things before. That is a pretty serious piece of equipment, so don't just let any of your mates loose with it.

Thanks turbo, quite used to fast boats but it is different to the deep vee ocean jets and RHIBs I'm used to so will be baby steps.

Patience Westy. Have trademe pics, but until it's safely parked in my shed I'm resisting the temptation to post them here. It's a beast though.