Sign in to follow this  
deeveus

Sold Merk

It depends what you are using the car for, and how many km's you do per year. Check out the difference per litre in the cost of diesel an petrol when you are the pump. Then work out the difference in economy between the petrol and diesel cars, especially if you are using the car for towing, or lugging lots of gear around. The extra cost of rego (even with RUC) is soon recovered.

We happen to have a very low milage NZ new E60 M5 on the yard, don't know what your price range is? That Red 3 is very nice!

Have you factored in the road user charge's about 4.5 cents a k I believe and the extra rego now required, 406hdi pug $481.00 odd to your overall running costs.

Yup. Currently...

$1462 per 10,000km @ $2.11 per litre for a 320i ES

$1248.70 per 10,000km @ 1.52 per litre for a 320d ES inc RUC

So if you did 10,000 per year your total costs for running inc rego:

$1893 petrol

$1679.70 diesel

I average 25-30kms p/a so say I did 30kms my costs would be $5039.10 for the diesel vs $5679 so still very comparable. So you say, your servicing costs will be higher but not by a great deal I'm told however, the red 320d M sport comes with a two year warranty and service plan.

Ok so then you come down to the power...

320i is 115kw and 200nm @ 0-100kph in 8.9 seconds (auto)

320d is 135kw and 380nm @ 0-100kph in 7.6 seconds (un-remapped auto)

Remap will give the 320d 460nm and 162kw

Ok so you go wow, is it really worth it?

IMO yes.

Edited by The Diesel Guy

Exactly after the RUC and extra rego, there is virtually no savings on running costs, I know diesels are more reliable and will usually outlive the petrol equivalents if serviced and maintained, but at the end of the day they are still "oil burners" as you like to put it.... BTW I do like that Red 320d, looking good!

it depends on the individual.My 120d has a 50 litre tank,which i regularly put up to 45 litres.round town i get over 700 ks to a fill,on the open road i will get 900 or so.Ruc is about 5c a km ,the rego was 417.My service intervals are about 15000k.It aint no m3 or m5 but the shove in the back you get is very satisfying.Its got pin point steering and braking.It has been chipped which makes it nicer at lower revs and gives it a little more rev a bility.It has MORE torque than my old 535 and uses HALF the fuel

The range per tank and the torque make it worth while for me.It was fun at Taupo too. The six speed is a nice little box.

It has its downsides.I hate the smell of diesel,you are always aware you a driving a diesel,you can get caught out on very slow corners (you sometimes need first or need to wait while it comes back on boost),and you need to stay on the throttle if you want instant response.

when are they gonig to phase out RUC for diesel?? can't they just charge it per litre and save the hassle of buying lump milage at the post shop??

when are they gonig to phase out RUC for diesel?? can't they just charge it per litre and save the hassle of buying lump milage at the post shop??

if you add it on, then the price of it goes up by 25% for everybody that buys diesel for thier farm equipment, excavators and power generaters that obviously dont drive on the road. at a guess, id say easily less than half the diesel NZ uses per annum is in road going cars and trucks, and thats why its seperate

no because the idea of ruc is that there are many vehicles that use deisel that do not run on the roads.also a mechanism for charging vehicles by weight.I would love to hear the arguments as to why a 120d costs 417 to register and a 120i about 250

if you add it on, then the price of it goes up by 25% for everybody that buys diesel for thier farm equipment, excavators and power generaters that obviously dont drive on the road. at a guess, id say easily less than half the diesel NZ uses per annum is in road going cars and trucks, and thats why its seperate

Yup, in England they have a different colour for their farm diesel which is set at a different price as when you fill up your car over there you pay a combined tax price.

If the petrol was the same performance then it would be a no brainer, seing they are virtually the same price new and are worth a lot more 2nd hand than a petrol equivalent it makes sense to own a diesel still.

Trying to decide over the last few nights what to look at next and trying to decide. I want something that hauls ass this time - maybe Bimmersport can choose the next one lol...

A few possibles :

GTR

There's a few M5's but seem to be imports...

996 Turbo

Possibly one of these at the right price

Possibly a M3 sedan at a decent price

I love it how we go from this ^^^^

to buying another diesel and how they pinch pennies when you drive them.

Bloody funny turn of events!!!

I love it how we go from this ^^^^

to buying another diesel and how they pinch pennies when you drive them.

Bloody funny turn of events!!!

Haha, it happens every time.

Over owning a V8/V10 it leaves you with more money to spend on drink. I like the power and performance I'm just too mean to pay for it.

Haha, it happens every time.

Over owning a V8/V10 it leaves you with more money to spend on drink. I like the power and performance I'm just too mean to pay for it.

the performance of modern diesels means you have a little bit of cake and eat it too......

the performance of modern diesels means you have a little bit of cake and eat it too......

IMO they are better but where they really come into their stride is SUV's diesel vs petrol in a X5 for example is a no brainer.

how much yearly do you guys with diesel cars save, well on average a year as opposed to driving a petrol? petrol + onroad costs + maintenance etc... been contemplating on getting a diesel for a long time now been eyeing a 1 series diesel for quite some time now

how much yearly do you guys with diesel cars save, well on average a year as opposed to driving a petrol? petrol + onroad costs + maintenance etc... been contemplating on getting a diesel for a long time now been eyeing a 1 series diesel for quite some time now

To be honest bugger all. Just in this scenario the reason I'd buy a diesel is resale value and power.

To be honest bugger all. Just in this scenario the reason I'd buy a diesel is resale value and power.

Was going to suggest the 911 'til the talk about cost.

Not a lot of people use their 911s for 20-25000kms a year apart from a few in the States.

I'd be lucky to get 9l/100km even on long distance driving as it is very hard to not plant your foot all the way to the firewall. I don't pay any attention to mpg as I'm too busy grinning while driving the 911 :-) Here is another passing lane .......

Resale for 911 is good though as the first owners had taken the hit.

look at my post above....ruc is 230 for 500 ks or there abouts you do your own sums.The service intervals on my diesel is the same as my old 535.What i call around town is not stop start stop start.my i20 is manual which are supposed to be more economical than the autos.6th is very tall

110 is about 1700 rpm

Cooke Howlison BMW have a brand spankin new one exactly the same as THIS but in charcoal.

Normal RRP is about 70k on these? That's what I tallied up on the website. They are selling theirs for $59,990 - even thought the new model is out April next year, I think that car is a better looking machine.

Brand new ones remapped will produce 158kw and 454nm

Edited by The Diesel Guy

Without a shadow of a doubt the R35 for speed and acceleration! A friend of mine imported one 6 months ago and has been doing all the work to get it up too code, full reprogram, chipped and remap...is by far the fastest car i have ever been in! He's entering the Cannonball in Jan but will be back in Dunedin end of...if you are still having this dilema Clinton!?

Without a shadow of a doubt the R35 for speed and acceleration! A friend of mine imported one 6 months ago and has been doing all the work to get it up too code, full reprogram, chipped and remap...is by far the fastest car i have ever been in! He's entering the Cannonball in Jan but will be back in Dunedin end of...if you are still having this dilema Clinton!?

Hi Cliff. Is the car for sale? Was it imported damaged reasoning for getting it all u to code lol?

Would probably prefer an UN-molested one if at all possible if I was to head down that path.

No not for sale unfortunately, he imported straight from Japan.

Meaning up too code as in getting legal for New Zealand roads, he's also getting all the bits and pieces done now that if he done later would need to be certified.

I just think it is a beast of a thing straight out of the box.

I (sort of) went through the diesel vs petrol debate before buying the Golf R. I don't do enough km for it to matter, although:

1) The fuel consumption on the R is terrible

2) The depreciation is far more painful than any "diesel vs petrol" debate - makes that cost saving a rounding error2)

3) Its really fast, so I am happy (refer "not many km" above), and

4) I too found the power delivery of the (2 litre) diesels just a wee bit unsatisfying.

Anyway, back on topic for Clinton ... don't you need something to tow stuff on gravel roads? Or is there another car hiding in the fleet still?

I never got around to it, but had intentions of trying a 335d expecting it to be FAST. My old man has an A4 3.0tdi and its pretty damn quick.

I (sort of) went through the diesel vs petrol debate before buying the Golf R. I don't do enough km for it to matter, although:

1) The fuel consumption on the R is terrible

2) The depreciation is far more painful than any "diesel vs petrol" debate - makes that cost saving a rounding error2)

3) Its really fast, so I am happy (refer "not many km" above), and

4) I too found the power delivery of the (2 litre) diesels just a wee bit unsatisfying.

Anyway, back on topic for Clinton ... don't you need something to tow stuff on gravel roads? Or is there another car hiding in the fleet still?

I never got around to it, but had intentions of trying a 335d expecting it to be FAST. My old man has an A4 3.0tdi and its pretty damn quick.

Hey Cam.

If I won Lotto, there would be a 335d fully optioned as my daily. 610nm remapped to about 700nm just couldn't be ignored. I've driven the 330d (2006 model) and it was brilliant.

I have the 320d for towing, it seems and no sh*t, tows better than my V8 ute. My ute hauls ass but as soon as you put a load behind it it throws an anchor out. Our old 320d doesn't seem to make any difference with or without a load.

I believe you - the torque's great on the VW/Audi 2 litres I've tried. It's really only the (relatively) narrow rev range that bothers me from a performance car perspective.

Oddly, it doesn't seem to matter on the bigger engined ones - probably because there's just so much power and torque everywhere that rpm is irrelevant.

I believe you - the torque's great on the VW/Audi 2 litres I've tried. It's really only the (relatively) narrow rev range that bothers me from a performance car perspective.

Oddly, it doesn't seem to matter on the bigger engined ones - probably because there's just so much power and torque everywhere that rpm is irrelevant.

Even the biggest baddest 335d just won't have the revs and madness of the M3 V8. It probably costs tons to run (I just put gas in, I have no idea of the l/100 these days because I'm smiling too much)

I've just come back from the Foo Fighters with my mate in his 335d. That thing is bloody friggin fast, I love the torque. It makes power pretty much off idle up to about 4500/5000....still impressive by most measures.

I'm not sure I'd give up the petrol V8 for a diesel just yet, there is something addictive about noise and revs...

Something to note. Diesels are the future for sure. But the opportunities to own a madarse V8 in a M3 will be getting less and less. You will be able to own a fast diesel anytime in the future.....

Even the biggest baddest 335d just won't have the revs and madness of the M3 V8. It probably costs tons to run (I just put gas in, I have no idea of the l/100 these days because I'm smiling too much)

I've just come back from the Foo Fighters with my mate in his 335d. That thing is bloody friggin fast, I love the torque. It makes power pretty much off idle up to about 4500/5000....still impressive by most measures.

I'm not sure I'd give up the petrol V8 for a diesel just yet, there is something addictive about noise and revs...

Something to note. Diesels are the future for sure. But the opportunities to own a madarse V8 in a M3 will be getting less and less. You will be able to own a fast diesel anytime in the future.....