Sign in to follow this  
SRBMW

88 E30 Mtech Coupe V8 or V12

Little off topic but how common are m60 manual converted e30's in NZ - I've never seen one for sale, if I did I would probably would have bought it :lol:

There are quite a few m60s around...A couple of real nice ones too

An m62 would be super cool

In my opinion,from a performance point of view,doing a v12 is pointless

Hows this coming along man

Miss our old 750iL.

she was a bloody trojan!

Hey Anton- slow progress- still stipping the thing down- that car is an amazing bit of gear! Will keep you posted when I get into the good bits- spreading my time over a few of the projects!

In my opinion,from a performance point of view,doing a v12 is pointless

I'd imagine the V12 will weigh similar to the m62 since it's only SOHC. It makes makes more power and torque and will sound sick with ITB's- this car really isn't about all out performance though- just something different.

Small update- finally got the 7 Series all stripped and the engine out- it's actually a huge job! Pic shows the early 5.0 M70 v12 bellhousing fits up to the later M73 not a problem. It appears the botyom half of the V8 engine is similar to the V12 so will start making up an adapter to plate to bolt the M5 6 speed to the v12. Will just need to draw up both engines.

I'm also thinking of developing an adapter plate that would allow guys to run the Toyota R154 5 Speed behind the V8 and v12 engines I think this might be desirable for those in countries like ours where getting the 5/6 speed V8 boxes are abit of an expensive mission.

Also it looks like the New M5 Solid clutch and flywheel that we have just developed should also fit this V12 setup.

post-350-1367805793.jpg

Edited by SRBMW

looks interesting

tell me more about your flywheel /clutch setup

cost , type etc .

may be interested :) for my 544iT 6speed

Nice dude ... really cool to see this coming together :) .. The more insane e30s the better in this country I say.

A certain UK performance mag has shown interest in getting a few articles done from over this way :)

Small update- finally got the 7 Series all stripped and the engine out- it's actually a huge job! Pic shows the early 5.0 M70 v12 bellhousing fits up to the later M73 not a problem. It appears the botyom half of the V8 engine is similar to the V12 so will start making up an adapter to plate to bolt the M5 6 speed to the v12. Will just need to draw up both engines.

I'm also thinking of developing an adapter plate that would allow guys to run the Toyota R154 5 Speed behind the V8 and v12 engines I think this might be desirable for those in countries like ours where getting the 5/6 speed V8 boxes are abit of an expensive mission.

Also it looks like the New M5 Solid clutch and flywheel that we have just developed should also fit this V12 setup.

what bell housing do you have on there now the auto M70 one?

ill put my hand up and say im potentially interested in a toyota conversion setup if you do go down that route. i just dont have the knowhow/space/tools to develop something like that, but wouldn't mind acquiring a ready to go option. i cant see any reason it would be different just because mine is in a different shell right?

ill put my hand up and say im potentially interested in a toyota conversion setup if you do go down that route. i just dont have the knowhow/space/tools to develop something like that, but wouldn't mind acquiring a ready to go option. i cant see any reason it would be different just because mine is in a different shell right?

+1 for the bellhousing adapter

tell me more about your flywheel /clutch setup

cost , type etc .

may be interested :) for my 544iT 6speed

Hey Brent I'll start a thread so people can have a read of what I'm doing

A certain UK performance mag has shown interest in getting a few articles done from over this way :)

Sounds good- this will be awhile off I've got a few projects on the got and trying the scatter gun approach on them all.

The bell housing in the photo is the m70 one it's detachable from the trans the m73 run a huge trans with an integrated bell so thats no good to me. I'm going to run with the bmw 6 speed but since I'll be drawing up the v12/v8 engines to do so and we've already got the r series Toyota box drawings I may as well develop an adapter so guys can manualise their v8's easily with a $1400 supra box.- Will keep you posted on how this progresses.

I'm sure you've seen the pics on the interwebs of the E30 in (Eastern??) Europe somewhere that has the same engine swap. Are you looking at mounting the radiator underneath the boot and plumbing back to the motor as well?

Or are you just gonna tear massive holes in the firewall and keep the radiator at the pointy end of the car like God intended? :)

I'm sure you've seen the pics on the interwebs of the E30 in (Eastern??) Europe somewhere that has the same engine swap. Are you looking at mounting the radiator underneath the boot and plumbing back to the motor as well?

Or are you just gonna tear massive holes in the firewall and keep the radiator at the pointy end of the car like God intended? :)

I'm pretty sure I'll be able to keep the firewall intact and the radiator in the front. it's only the length of a 6 cylinder engine so think I'll be fine.

You're prob' thinking about that green one, with a pair of massive turbos....

I'm pretty sure I'll be able to keep the firewall intact and the radiator in the front. it's only the length of a 6 cylinder engine so think I'll be fine.

Something like this one aye Darren:

clean and tidy

Something like this one aye Darren:

clean and tidy

Yea mate something like that but looking for ITB's otherwise would keep the factory ECU's. Looking to go large case diff with E28 rear end. e36 M3 evo lsd internals into large case 210 diff with rear cover off the E38 picking up off two points.Glenn the only thing that seems to be missing is time !!

Yea mate something like that but looking for ITB's otherwise would keep the factory ECU's. Looking to go large case diff with E28 rear end. e36 M3 evo lsd internals into large case 210 diff with rear cover off the E38 picking up off two points.Glenn the only thing that seems to be missing is time !!

If you've got the E36 M3 evo LSD internals, don't you have the dual ear 210 rear cover they came from.....

That's going to be one hella tough backend!!

So what happened to the VK56?

If you've got the E36 M3 evo LSD internals, don't you have the dual ear 210 rear cover they came from.....

That's going to be one hella tough backend!!

So what happened to the VK56?

Yes I have that rear cover but it's not that nice looking has a bolt on extra tag mount- the e38 cover looks more symmetrical

The VK56 is sitting on it's face with a mock up adapter made for it with the 350z box- will wait for a suitable donor body. I had a moment and thought maybe I should do a BMW engine in a BMW- maybe I'm getting older?

You're prob' thinking about that green one, with a pair of massive turbos....

Thats the one. Knew there was a reason behind doing something as oddball as relocating the radiator to the boot.

Imagine how much of a bastard that would be to bleed all the air out of!! :unsure:

Yes I have that rear cover but it's not that nice looking has a bolt on extra tag mount- the e38 cover looks more symmetrical

Hmm, I must have been thinking about the E46 M3 rear cover then...

The VK56 is sitting on it's face with a mock up adapter made for it with the 350z box- will wait for a suitable donor body. I had a moment and thought maybe I should do a BMW engine in a BMW- maybe I'm getting older?

[evil thoughts]Sounds like a perfect match for the wifes Stagea, wonder if she'd notice...[/evil thoughts]

Edited by E30-323ti

Hmm, I must have been thinking about the E46 M3 rear cover then...

Sorry I'm having a senior moment- yes the m3 evo has a bolt on wing shaped thing that is symmetrical ( I was thinking of the front mount) and the e38 has a complete cast rear cover- when we get to that part we can decide what looks and functions better.

Small update here. I came across a guy who had started a rally project with an m70 v12 and 6 speed so went and had a look at it. The shell and engines were bought from Mosen's in 2001 and has been a project ever since.

I had intended on just buying the box but thought I'd get the whole car and use the rear end (e28), front coil overs (e36) and gearbox. Sadly it's been acided dipped and not coated so would need to be blasted,dipped or at least rust killed by the next owner. It's running a E28 and large case diff rear end so that will be used in my e30 as I had intended on making up a rear end to suit so more time saved- I might just make the pickup points adjustable.

I had intended on making an adaptor plate for the m5/540i 420g v8 6 speed to mate up to the v12 but I figured I have such little free time I'd cheat and use this setup. Hit to the ego but means the project will come together quicker. This 6 speed has had an alloy plate cut and welded to the front of the box was done but a pro but will get it checked in a mill first.

i crew on an evo 4 that competes in rally extreme. And i remember last year or maybe the year before up at rally northland there was a maroon/grey 5 series (i could be wrong) entered that had a v12 in it, man did it sound awesome screaming through the forest but i cant say it was very quick :lol: .

Is this the same car you guys are talking about?

pics or it did not happen :)

I had intended on that but couldn't upload and couldn't be bother hosting them else where- will do when I have a moment

i crew on an evo 4 that competes in rally extreme. And i remember last year or maybe the year before up at rally northland there was a maroon/grey 5 series (i could be wrong) entered that had a v12 in it, man did it sound awesome screaming through the forest but i cant say it was very quick :lol: .

Is this the same car you guys are talking about?

Thats Kayne Barrie's e34- this is an E30 and nowhere near going haha!!

Guest Yornxt

ive got a e38 m73b54 engine and gearbox forsale if your interrested , runs perfectly can be heard running $3000