Sign in to follow this  
SRBMW

88 E30 Mtech Coupe V8 or V12

We'll I've had this mtech 2 coupe shell sitting here for awhile and which I'm showing a little attention here and there. I've got a Nissan 09 VK56DE 5.6 Titan engine here that I brought for it which has literaly only done 1000miles which was planned to go in the hole but all of a sudden I feel maybe I should save that for the Nissan and go with a BMW engine I don't really know what's come over me- Is this what its like to grow older? anyway I've been thinking of going down the E38 M73 5.4 V12 route.

I've got all the drive line and suspension here for it. Planning on E28 M535 rear with large case diff and m3 evo internals- big brakes. Front m3 lower arms evo hubs stubs and custom struts and m3 rack. Also have some BBS LM 9 and 8s for it. Will either use a r154 supra box or m3 getrag box

Now the question is for all you guys that have gone down the road of wiring up new engines with EWS immobilisers etc into e30's is. Is it best I try to get the whole wiring setup out of the e38 and try run it with the factory ecu- any ideas if it would run okay with a manual trans or shall I go after market. last time I checked with link about running V12's you have to batch fire coils and group injectors.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Will post pics when we've got some progress happening!

Depending on what ews version. its best to have the ews module, key and dme that came with the car. saves on the pain of recoding

I'm not to familar with all that immobiliser stuff on the BMW's but the engine I can get will be around the 95 era, I can get the complete ignition with key and chip etc just wondering if thats the easiest way to go, a standalone ecu means I could go ITB which would be pretty awesome!

I can't add any knowledge to this thread really but what an awesome idea!

Id go with the V8, keep the weight down, the V12 would be too heavy with little gain.

The V12 is all alloy- so won't weigh too much more than a cast iron block m50 etc plus this project is more about cool not outright power and speed, my SR powered one will leave most v8 powered cars for dead with such good power to weight so thats not really the goal for this car.

i've got a 4L m60 complete with loom/ecu + 6speed box to go.easy

V12- more fun,auto or manual?

The V12 is all alloy- so won't weigh too much more than a cast iron block m50 etc plus this project is more about cool not outright power and speed, my SR powered one will leave most v8 powered cars for dead with such good power to weight so thats not really the goal for this car.

Oh all alloy, right, that changes things - I assumed they were iron.

But yeah, you are right regarding the cool factor, perhaps the V12 is the way to go then!

Really impress's me the amount of time and effort people put into their projects like the above posted one, 471KW at the wheels, FARK!

I'm not to familar with all that immobiliser stuff on the BMW's but the engine I can get will be around the 95 era, I can get the complete ignition with key and chip etc just wondering if thats the easiest way to go, a standalone ecu means I could go ITB which would be pretty awesome!

1/1995 is the change over period for Unique ISN based DME's which was when EWSII came into play. Prior to that its EWSI. Its not a problem if you have the DME, EWS Module and original programmed key (transponder chip). Otherwise you have to sync the DME to the EWS/key.

• Lock out of the starter when the code function of the BC is set.

• Disable injection and ignition through the DME.

• Prevent starter engagement with engine running.

• Recognition of Park/Neutral position with automatic transmission.

New features that have been added:

• Disable injection, ignition and starter operation until a correct key is recognized.

• EWS and DME synchronization through the use of the ISN.

• Release of double lock when a correctly coded key is switched on.

The EWS II control module stores the following data

for the key transponder inter-link:

• Key identification code- up to 10 keys.

• Key password.

• Changing code- up to 10 keys.

on a v12 the ECU needed will be of the higher end type and quite expensive.

but yeah ITB's on a v12 :D .. will be spec as sh*t for sure.

1/1995 is the change over period for Unique ISN based DME's which was when EWSII came into play. Prior to that its EWSI. Its not a problem if you have the DME, EWS Module and original programmed key (transponder chip). Otherwise you have to sync the DME to the EWS/key.

• Lock out of the starter when the code function of the BC is set.

• Disable injection and ignition through the DME.

• Prevent starter engagement with engine running.

• Recognition of Park/Neutral position with automatic transmission.

New features that have been added:

• Disable injection, ignition and starter operation until a correct key is recognized.

• EWS and DME synchronization through the use of the ISN.

• Release of double lock when a correctly coded key is switched on.

The EWS II control module stores the following data

for the key transponder inter-link:

• Key identification code- up to 10 keys.

• Key password.

• Changing code- up to 10 keys.

on a v12 the ECU needed will be of the higher end type and quite expensive.

but yeah ITB's on a v12 :D .. will be spec as sh*t for sure.

Thanks thats exactly the right amount of convincing I need to go to an aftermarket ECU will save a big headache I feel and tuneable so that will be interesting. Will rip into it in the new year

So I bought an E32 750il for a donor car but the car's too nice to pull apart and I just don't have the heart to wreck it. So will have to find a rough or crashed one I think- Please let me know if you guys see one

So I bought an E32 750il for a donor car but the car's too nice to pull apart and I just don't have the heart to wreck it. So will have to find a rough or crashed one I think- Please let me know if you guys see one

id like see someone put the v12 in something. if you wanted it manual it will be tricky to find a manual that will go behind it. if you do find one or have an idea let me know because i have 3 v12s waiting to be re-built once i find a box type to go behind them. :D

Speak with Lance (melowpuf) on here...he may have something in the works...

it's an old E32, it's not worth anything no matter how nice, you might aswell do the conversion from good stock! I may have a manual conversion for sale soon, I'm looking at putting a six speed behind my V12, like Lance on here we used the standard ecu's and DK throttles and it works really well (better then alot of modern fly-by-wire set ups) and way cheaper, feel free to PM me on you will find Lance very helpful and well reseached on this aswell, cheers, KB.

it's an old E32, it's not worth anything no matter how nice, you might aswell do the conversion from good stock!

Yep you are right- I pressure tested the old girl up today and the radiator has a slight leak so not worth putting a new raditor in. Will strip it down for parts when I get a chance. Will PM you for some info. thanks

Little update on this project. I bought the e32 750il and pulled the 5.0 v12 and thought I would be content but ended up finding a really good e38 750il which I've bought to pull the 5.4 v12 engine- it seems to go alot better than the e32 despite only have on paper 20 more KW.

Very nice car will be very hard to pull it a part. Also have some m3 3.0 ITB's on their way so will have to start mocking up manifolds for them. Not many pics to post but will do when things start to take shape.

awesome, cant wait to see this progress!

if you want to get in touch with someone thats done ITBs on an M70, google Brian Howat Engineering. his is in a Landrover offroader machine, quite cool! probably youtube videos of it too

if you want to get in touch with someone thats done ITBs on an M70, google Brian Howat Engineering. his is in a Landrover offroader machine, quite cool! probably youtube videos of it too

Yea cool thanks for that i'll give him a bell he's made axles for me a few times. cheers

Something you may like Darren

post-538-1338986336.jpg

Little off topic but how common are m60 manual converted e30's in NZ - I've never seen one for sale, if I did I would probably would have bought it :lol:

Little update on this project. I bought the e32 750il and pulled the 5.0 v12 and thought I would be content but ended up finding a really good e38 750il which I've bought to pull the 5.4 v12 engine- it seems to go alot better than the e32 despite only have on paper 20 more KW.

Very nice car will be very hard to pull it a part. Also have some m3 3.0 ITB's on their way so will have to start mocking up manifolds for them. Not many pics to post but will do when things start to take shape.

I would have though the newer engine would be more refined.

Looking forward to seeing some progress!

Little off topic but how common are m60 manual converted e30's in NZ - I've never seen one for sale, if I did I would probably would have bought it :lol:

there's a m60 manual and 1uz manual e30 in chch. dunno about anywhere else

Any updates or photos on this???