Sign in to follow this  
RvT

Mechanical Breakdown Insurance Options

Hi All

Need your help ....

I am selling my 2005 M5 and have found a buyer. He wants to take out Mechanical Breakdown Insurance on the car but is struggling to find a company that will insure the car. Does anyone know a company that will give cover on an M5???

Cheers

Hi All

Need your help ....

I am selling my 2005 M5 and have found a buyer. He wants to take out Mechanical Breakdown Insurance on the car but is struggling to find a company that will insure the car. Does anyone know a company that will give cover on an M5???

Cheers

Lumely are underwriting my M3 warranty. Worth a try.

Lumely are underwriting my M3 warranty. Worth a try.

Are you doing it directly yourself or through a dealer. The buyer of the car says they only deal through dealers and this is a private sale ...

Are you doing it directly yourself or through a dealer. The buyer of the car says they only deal through dealers and this is a private sale ...

Was through a dealer , but it sounded like they would sell direct. The policy I have doesn't mention that it has to via dealer.

The only mechanical warranty that you can buy privately that I know of is Autosure, under written buy Vero. You get it through the AA after a pre-purchase inspection done buy them. Some BMW's they will not cover now ie: E65 with their new policies. I'm not sure about an E60 M5, you would need to check with them

The only mechanical warranty that you can buy privately that I know of is Autosure, under written buy Vero. You get it through the AA after a pre-purchase inspection done buy them. Some BMW's they will not cover now ie: E65 with their new policies. I'm not sure about an E60 M5, you would need to check with them

Thanks Glenn for this info.

In case I come to a dead end, are there any car dealers on Bimmersporter who would be able to put it through their books for a commission on the side ?

Thanks Glenn for this info.

In case I come to a dead end, are there any car dealers on Bimmersporter who would be able to put it through their books for a commission on the side ?

The dealers make quite a good commision on the warranties anyway :-)

I don't think the dealer has to sell the car to sell in cover - When I managed a rental fleet, we used to sell cars as well (had a full time yard for ex rentals etc). People would come in just to buy policies - not sure if they can still do it though. It WILL be expensive too. Do BMW deaers offer an option? They do the approved used BMW warranties on the cars they sell don't they?

Edited by Allanw

I recall an email recently from Team McMillan saying they are selling Mechanical Insurance. Worth a try checking with them.

I recall an email recently from Team McMillan saying they are selling Mechanical Insurance. Worth a try checking with them.

Try Driveline as well, (its an AA policy).. they insured my X5 privately.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Tried the local BMW stealership but they would only sell me roadside assistance. They can learn a lot from Audi and their Silver Circle service !!!

Ended up 'phoning a friend' and used his dealership to access a policy through him but I can't remember now who it was through. Worked out well as I sold the M5 and you will now see the beast cruzing around Auckland.

My next question will be what to buy next ..... what to get after you have experienced an M5 for 3 years and don't want to take the 1st hit on the new model M5 ...

I think it could only be down hill from there.

Perhaps a Nissan Mica to hold you over :lol:

Hired one in the Uk to get to Silverstone for a Ferrari track day. Couldn't have got any greater contrast in cars if I'd tried.

Maybe a GTR in terms of performance. Two less doors though.

Perhaps a Merc E55/E63 ?

Maybe a GTR in terms of performance. Two less doors though.

Perhaps a Merc E55/E63 ?

I moved from Japanese built cars to Euros in the 90s and have never been tempted to go back so the GTR, while respected for its performance, doesn't do it for me.

Mercs have never interested me as they are marketed at the older set and remind me of an old mans car ...

Options are a Porsche Turbo out of UK, Lambo (painful to get serviced in Sth Is), a current shape M3 ex UK .... it is a strange feeling selling the M5. It is such a phenomenal car that entertained me every drive and now there is a void. Up till now, every car I bought was a progression, like most car owners. I think the next car won't necessarily be better but rather be different.

My next question will be what to buy next ..... what to get after you have experienced an M5 for 3 years and don't want to take the 1st hit on the new model M5 ...

Something for the daily grind and a fun car for hooning in..

The current M3 will would be a nice daily/fun car, not a hell of a lot of difference performance wise either.

The current M3 will would be a nice daily/fun car, not a hell of a lot of difference performance wise either.

+1

:P

just for fun get a x35d (or a x23d if you can live with a smaller car)If you have an interest in diesels but havent driven one for a while...... ;)

The reality is that I only did about 5,000km in the M5 and I take a bicycle to work (doesn't help the culture of the workplace when the boss goes to work in a flash car - bloody kiwi tall poppy syndrome). I don't need a 'daily drive'. An x3 doesn't do it for me as the wife has a Wrangler JK so we use that for towing / fishing. The next car will be a weekend warrior. The R10 is appealingly priced in the UK but would be the 2008 model for the budget.

What is the resale value like of the R10 or rather do they turn over in the secondhand market?

Surely in your neck of the woods a high end sports bike could fit the void for a while. You could do the west cost loop in a day which in my opinon is some of the best riding in the world.

Something like a Bmw 1000rr or a Ducati 1198R of the new 195 bhp Duc sports bike ? None of the Cars so far mention can touch these for 0-300 kmh performance and these bikes have all the traction control to keep the wheels pointed in the right direction. Just a thought ....

Surely in your neck of the woods a high end sports bike could fit the void for a while. You could do the west cost loop in a day which in my opinon is some of the best riding in the world.

Something like a Bmw 1000rr or a Ducati 1198R of the new 195 bhp Duc sports bike ? None of the Cars so far mention can touch these for 0-300 kmh performance and these bikes have all the traction control to keep the wheels pointed in the right direction. Just a thought ....

Sorry, forgot to mention ... I have a s1000rr in Acid Green in the stable already ... lol ...

Sorry, forgot to mention ... I have a s1000rr in Acid Green in the stable already ... lol ...

O_o

Posted Image

I would highly recommend against this ... it is a BLOODY HARD car to get out of that you'd take a massive hit by the time you come to sell it. Mine was so difficult to get out of that I more or less gave it away and honestly couldn't be happier that I finally got rid of it. Had I held onto it till this year I'd have lost another $20K on it straight away.

Given that no E46 can come in now the E9X M3s can be imported into the Country for about $50K - $60K from the UK, you'd be crazy to get into one now. Wait a month or two when the market is flooded with them and pick one up for cheap.

Just beware that the car is ridiculous on fuel (unlike any of BMW's advertising that it is more economical than the inline 6 it replaced) and if anything breaks on it without a warranty be prepared to sell a kidney for it (note, notoriously weak gearbox from ZF).

If you do however still want to get into one, make sure you only buy the following spec - as it is by far the easiest spec to get rid of:

White 4 door with black leather, DCT, HP spec with 19s (and don't repaint it bloody orange)

Edited by M3_Power

I would highly recommend against this ... it is a BLOODY HARD car to get out of that you'd take a massive hit by the time you come to sell it. Mine was so difficult to get out of that I more or less gave it away and honestly couldn't be happier that I finally got rid of it. Had I held onto it till this year I'd have lost another $20K on it straight away.

Given that no E46 can come in now the E9X M3s can be imported into the Country for about $50K - $60K from the UK, you'd be crazy to get into one now. Wait a month or two when the market is flooded with them and pick one up for cheap.

Just beware that the car is ridiculous on fuel (unlike any of BMW's advertising that it is more economical than the inline 6 it replaced) and if anything breaks on it without a warranty be prepared to sell a kidney for it (note, notoriously weak gearbox from ZF).

If you do however still want to get into one, make sure you only buy the following spec - as it is by far the easiest spec to get rid of:

White 4 door with black leather, DCT, HP spec with 19s (and don't repaint it bloody orange)

Kinda random.....

Don't buy one.......wait a month or two, then buy one......they use fuel!!.......it might cost a lot to fix....

It's an M3. Nothing worse the the 5.0l V10 that he is just getting out of...

If you buy a performance car based on what the resale will be, you shouldn't be buying performance cars. Camrys are safe.

I hate the fact that people buy cars based on their resale! I buy cars because i want them. Even though you did own one Tom, i have driven plenty and i thought the fuel usage was quite good for 400bhp. And the gearbox issue i'm quite keen to hear about as this is a new one to me?

Kinda random.....

Don't buy one.......wait a month or two, then buy one......they use fuel!!.......it might cost a lot to fix....

It's an M3. Nothing worse the the 5.0l V10 that he is just getting out of...

If you buy a performance car based on what the resale will be, you shouldn't be buying performance cars. Camrys are safe.

I re-read what I wrote and I guess it was a bit random :P I put the blame on the holidays and my personal frustration on trying to move mine for the last whole freaking year. It wasn't necessarily a price issue, but rather trying to find a wholeseller or dealer willing to buy the car in the first place. It honestly was THAT difficult to move. No one wanted it.

I guess the points I tried to put across was a bit fragmented. What I actually was meant to say was don't get one if you are worried about getting out of it really quickly, but if you really wanted to get into one, do so after a while - when the imports starts coming in. And if you are getting into one don't buy into the bull about its supreme economy compared to the inline 6 (I barely get more than 320km from a tank and on the track it'd barely do 160km on a full tank - it is a thirsty bugger no matter how many horsepower it puts out - at least when compare to the older M3s).

Don't get me wrong I still think it's a wonderful car with a great engine - but if the reasons for getting out of the M5 from the OP was what I assumed it to be, then the M3 will be no better.

And yes I completely agree that resale value should not be a consideration when buying a car - they are a depreciating asset, period (bar a very few exceptions).

I hate the fact that people buy cars based on their resale! I buy cars because i want them. Even though you did own one Tom, i have driven plenty and i thought the fuel usage was quite good for 400bhp. And the gearbox issue i'm quite keen to hear about as this is a new one to me?

Lots of posts around the web about the weak gearbox and crunchy 2nd gear. Mine was fine ... but it is an inherently weak gearbox. (PM me about the gb issues, there's a few things I dont't really want to share on the public forum)

Edited by M3_Power