Sign in to follow this  
nath

Clutch broke

well my clutch was fine yesterday and today when i went to drive it it was as slippery as a whore, and only slightly driveable....

called Jerry Clayton BMW, i took it in, they took me home, and it will be fixed tomorrow afternoon.

they quoted $760, but for some reason theyre doing me a discount, and doing a service. Really nice folk in there too.

a clutch kit from repco is $760, similar price from BNT (although the guy didnt seem to really know what he was talking about)

to get it done at bmworkshop was going to be just over $700

And no, there was no hope of me doing it myself with my skills and knowledge.... and plus, i needed it done quickly, and JCBMW are doing just that:)

BMW servicing been great for me on the times when its needed :)

my clutch cost $256, and works fine

cost me nothing to put in, other than the usual stuff

go BMW

prob did take me a lil longer though

No sh*t? An e30 clutch is $700? Oh man i never knew that!

Gus, Where did you pick that up from? - that include pressure plate and additional bits and p's?

I know not to go to a BMW dealer and ask now.... I don't have $700.

just read your post...a clutch kit is $760?? what is included in the kit? last time i called BMW and asked for a price on pressure plate/clutch disc/throwout bearing it was around $450-500 ish......why is a repco one 360 more?

I think I paid $399 ex GST for my clutchkit from BM Warehouse. I think it was a Sachs kit... included cluch, pressure plate, and release bearing.

i got mine from a brake and transmission place up here...cant remember the name, but could find out or get clutches for people that needed them....the brand is LuK, a south african brand. worked well enough for me (could have been stiffer, but gripped fine) funnily enough it was the same type as the old one i took out (car had been owned by two guys who worked at BMW, so cant have been too bad)

its funny with a lot of things, the dealer isnt actually that bad, pays to check first

BNT clutch kit is around $350,

don't even bother with repco for anything european, the dealer would be cheaper.

Does that $760 from JC include labour? Not too bad if it does.

Yeah includes labour, and apparently he's gonna give me a discount too......

JC seem to be really good people, both with service and sales :thumb:

ah.....inc labour 760 not bad...esp for dealer

you selling car or keeping? if keeping may as well do rear crankshaft seal....otherwise if it starts leaking you gotta take box off again..

i selling aye...

she's already in the workshop neway

Edited by nath

the brand is LuK, a south african brand.

surprises me, I was told that they're german.....

LuK crowd is tied up with F.A.G bearings and a company that does CVT transmissions...

LuK are OEM clutches to most euro car manufacturers - bmw/merc/audi etc generally have an LuK clutch as stock, along with 90% or more of the worlds tractors....

compete directly with 'fitchell and sachs', which has brought the competition right down over recent years.

good clutches... *takes a sip from LuK coffee mug* heh

Guest Andrew

I think our e30 all came with sachs clutches - but meh a clutch is a clutch (when you're talking about this end of the market)

Yeah includes labour, and apparently he's gonna give me a discount too......

JC seem to be really good people, both with service and sales :thumb:

Did you go to the main one at Takapuna or the small one near Wairau (Silverfield I think...)??

I service mine at the Wairau one and they are really nice.

Good price on parts and labour too~

Best of all, they seem to know what they are talking about

BTW, Team McMillan tried to quoted me 3 hours worth of labour for changing 1 front wheel bearing. (@$108 per hour +GST) Finally got that done at JC for under 1 hour at a cheaper rate too! (Parts and labour total under $350 incl GST)

Blacklist McMillan!!!

Edited for typo.

Edited by my_e36

I got it done at takapuna, but yeah i have dealt with the guys at Wairau and they rock too

Ok guys, Jerry Claytons are king.

They drove to my house, picked me up, brought my car out to the door at jcbmw for me.

They quoted $760, which was a good price, They gave me a discount, so it only costed me $416 incl. GST!!

They did a full valet on my car also. It drives soo much better than it used to now.

I did an engine flush myself tonight, and an oil change, and forgot to put the filler cap back on. Lost the cap.

I went into JC at 6:15pm, most lights were out and a few ppl were around. They took an oil cap off a new car, and gave it to me, and said to drop it back in tomorrow. Saved.

JCBMW rock.

nath

Ok guys, Jerry Claytons are king.

They drove to my house, picked me up, brought my car out to the door at jcbmw for me.

They quoted $760, which was a good price, They gave me a discount, so it only costed me $416 incl. GST!!

They did a full valet on my car also. It drives soo much better than it used to now.

I did an engine flush myself tonight, and an oil change, and forgot to put the filler cap back on. Lost the cap.

I went into JC at 6:15pm, most lights were out and a few ppl were around. They took an oil cap off a new car, and gave it to me, and said to drop it back in tomorrow. Saved.

JCBMW rock.

nath

$416 is an awesome price for a clutch fitted when you consider the cost of the parts and the labour involved. Thats a hell of a discount, maybe they made a mistake. Service sounds excellent as well.

No mistake, he told me that i would get a discount, he just didnt say how much....

i didnt think they even didn e30's anymore?

thats a damn good price....how on earth did you manage to get discount?

No idea aye. The car's been serviced by them from new, but still not sure why they discounted. Maybe ill ask them today when i drop the oil cap off

nath~

I would never question about a discount.

Who know, maybe this time the big boss is listening and will chop that discount from everyone in future.

a clutch kit from repco is $760, similar price from BNT (although the guy didnt seem to really know what he was talking about)

This goes to show that in alot of cases , BMW genuine parts are not that dear,

From memory the genuine kit is around $450 plus gst , which leads me to wonder if they replaced your complete clutch & not just a drive plate or pressure plate, as to do the whole job for this seems very light & the margins on BMW parts or not that great !! (trust me :)

Edited by vonripsnorter

Guest Andrew

the margins on BMW parts or not that great !! (trust me :)

hah - you should of seen the margins that got whacked on them by Landrover.