Sign in to follow this  
Steve K-B

M52b28 Standard rev limit?

Ive just found conflicting evedence about the stand rev limit on an E36 M52 2.8ltr.

Any one actually have one that there willing to red line there own car for sience purposes and can tell me what it is?

Cheers

i cant garrentee its fatory tuning in the computer. but mine goes out to 7k. would love to know what there ment to go to and what they can handle when pushing limits a little

7k + 0r - a hundred rpm. This can be altered when you get it remapped though

6500-6600rpm or so , on mine , i hit it often.

does yours go to 7k glenn???

seams strange to have a engine with a small port intake manifold built for low end torque but let it rev that high??

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

I am with Brent on this, my M52B28 from my E39 was hitting 66 - 6700.

If you remove the soft limit m5X internals are not built to handle over 7000 rpm safely. The head is where the first problems start to happen (springs), then rods and flywheel.

To take it over apart from the above, the harmonic balance of the engine is an issue too. Its even an issue on the s50's over 8500rpm as certain people have been finding out.

All of this is all on standard running gear.

6500-6600rpm or so , on mine , i hit it often.

does yours go to 7k glenn???

seams strange to have a engine with a small port intake manifold built for low end torque but let it rev that high??

I'm probably wrong Brent. I'd have to check it.. I've only driven it a couple of times this year... I was going to get it remapped. Just had a look at a Ti Dash... your right Brent.

Should be 6,500 RPM + or - 100rpm.. I was going to get it remapped and set to 7

Edited by *Glenn*

If you remove the soft limit m5X internals are not built to handle over 7000 rpm safely. The head is where the first problems start to happen (springs), then rods and flywheel.

To take it over apart from the above, the harmonic balance of the engine is an issue too. Its even an issue on the s50's over 8500rpm as certain people have been finding out.

All of this is all on standard running gear.

Mine goes right round to 8 which i didn't think is normal although i wouldn't be surprised if my DME wasn't standard.

Cool thanks guys. So its 6500 to be safe. How hard is it to raise the limit to seven?

Ive got the M52 at the engine builders where there attempting to see if the M54 3.0ltr crand rods and pistons will fit...

I Will look at replacing the harmonic pully with something diffrent a little down the line. Shrick cams, spring etc are the long term plan also. Will see if the above will work first.

Should be a cool build.