Sign in to follow this  
1rotty

2.8 stroker missing on startup

So we reckon we are pretty much sorted except for this.

On startup engine runs on 5 cylinders for about 2mins( getting some heat obviously) then all 6 fire & thereafter all is good.

Changed leads,cap,rotor,coil,plugs to no avail.

I know its a bit of a how long is a peice of string question but suggestions welcome.

Engine is stroked 325 -bored to 2820, 2.7 crank, b25 head with 288 Schrick cam, e36 328 injectors (pink), standard f/l ecu

pull each ignition lead off as its running to see which cly is the issue i would also check injector plugs or possible injector on the missing cly, also change spark plug just in case

i would say one of the injectors or conector to it etc

Have the valve clearances been re-done since the engine was rebuilt Mark ??

Blue ECU temp sender?

That would be my next guess.

pull each ignition lead off as its running to see which cly is the issue i would also check injector plugs or possible injector on the missing cly, also change spark plug just in case

New plugs, replaced the injectors, checked the injector plugs etc.

i would say one of the injectors or conector to it etc

As above.

Have the valve clearances been re-done since the engine was rebuilt Mark ??

Yep re did those.

That would be my next guess.

The sensor shouldn't effect just 1 cylinder though. Have you isolated which cylinder is giving the problem yet ? The temp sensor would give either a lean or rich mixture over all cylinders... not just one. Try a cylinder leak test... try cold first then hot... that may isolate any mechanical fault once you have identified which cylinder is giving the problem.

Another thought: Have you got another DME you can try ?

Edited by *Glenn*

The sensor shouldn't effect just 1 cylinder though. Have you isolated which cylinder is giving the problem yet ? The temp sensor would give either a lean or rich mixture over all cylinders... not just one. Try a cylinder leak test... try cold first then hot... that may isolate any mechanical fault once you have identified which cylinder is giving the problem.

Another thought: Have you got another DME you can try ?

i wouldnt have thought the dme as the injectors are group fired unless its wiring related

Hate to disagree with my main man but I think we need to try another plug rail next.

At worst it eliminates one possibility-I wish I could find the 3 I have lol

STOP..... isolate the cylinder /s first and work from there... we're all guessing & offering suggestions that perhaps are going to confuse everyones input.

After isolation ... make sure it's always the same cylinder that misfires when it's cold

Hate to disagree with my main man but I think we need to try another plug rail next.

At worst it eliminates one possibility-I wish I could find the 3 I have lol

Yes, but without touching the plug rail it picks up the cylinder by itself, when cold it doesn't stay on five, it's on off on off etc, then when put under load it goes straight to six.

STOP..... isolate the cylinder /s first and work from there... we're all guessing & offering suggestions that perhaps are going to confuse everyones input.

After isolation ... make sure it's always the same cylinder that misfires when it's cold

Youre quite right of course mate.....

We have a problem tho'.. we're both gun shy since watching Greg get fried last time he grabbed a lead---but faaark it was funny.

Youre quite right of course mate.....

We have a problem tho'.. we're both gun shy since watching Greg get fried last time he grabbed a lead---but faaark it was funny.

rubber garden gloves bro

Yes very funny.

I quit.