Sign in to follow this  
kwhelan

New M Review

One for the diesel fans i guess.

I guess it was inevitable. ~380bhp is impressive for a diesel

I assume the petrol M5 will still remain relevant in the US, but the diesel one will make more sense for Europe. Wonder what it will sound like.

Tractor. Can't do much about the sound.

Im sure if its muffled and has little to no noise itd be ok?

Most cars these days are pretty quiet.

I quite like the sound of modern BMW diesels. Sure idle is a little rattly still but the woooooomph sound you get with WOT is cool

Heck, cold start almost any M-engine they all sound like a diesel. Until it's warmed up and revving of course....

Modern diesel are actually pretty quiet compare to say 10-years ago.

I actually don't mind that. It's only logical really...

I quite like the sound of modern BMW diesels. Sure idle is a little rattly still but the woooooomph sound you get with WOT is cool

Hear Hear.

Modern diesel are actually pretty quiet compare to say 10-years ago.

Or even a BRAND NEW Toyota - Our Work hiace is hideous! Sounds like a 20 year old Surf!

Euro Diesels are quiet. The japs aren't up there yet. The performance is the same story. Our hiace at full noise, 3rd or 4th gear, nearly empty wouldn't keep up with a VW transporter, with 8 passengers and a trailer full of gardening tools up a particular passing lane - he started to pull away from us, so I had to pull in and let the cars behind me pass. I had nothing left. Both are 2.5 common rail diesel turbos.

BMW diesels are very impressive. I probably wouldn't buy one, because a diesel at 5000 rpm will never sound as nice as a BMW petrol 6 doing 6500 rpm :-) (unless it's a 2-stroke detroit doing 3000rpm! - like the greyhound busses!).

These new diesels are going to be epic, that's quite alot of power for a six diesel tri turbo.

Or even a BRAND NEW Toyota - Our Work hiace is hideous! Sounds like a 20 year old Surf!

Euro Diesels are quiet. The japs aren't up there yet. The performance is the same story. Our hiace at full noise, 3rd or 4th gear, nearly empty wouldn't keep up with a VW transporter, with 8 passengers and a trailer full of gardening tools up a particular passing lane - he started to pull away from us, so I had to pull in and let the cars behind me pass. I had nothing left. Both are 2.5 common rail diesel turbos.

BMW diesels are very impressive. I probably wouldn't buy one, because a diesel at 5000 rpm will never sound as nice as a BMW petrol 6 doing 6500 rpm :-) (unless it's a 2-stroke detroit doing 3000rpm! - like the greyhound busses!).

The 3 litre turbo diesel in the Hiace/Hilux hauls. They are a bit agricultural, sure, but look at what they're powering. They also seem to do a truckload of km without needing overhauls. And dad's 3 litre Ranger work truck easily keeps up with fast road traffic. It's all down to intended purpose.

I do wonder when the Japs will develop diesel technology further. They seem to be focussing more on hybrid technology.

Either way, I welcome the diesel performance route.

Top Gear link

From reading that Top Gear link these hot diesels are more like an M325i than an M3. Not really a true "M" car, more a "M-sport" version, it will be interesting to see if the performance diesel makes it into any other models, or purely these M550d, etc.

Now, one of those engines in a 3 series coupe and you would be talking... (probably be a bit front heavy if you chucked it in a 1 series!!).

From reading that Top Gear link these hot diesels are more like an M325i than an M3. Not really a true "M" car, more a "M-sport" version, it will be interesting to see if the performance diesel makes it into any other models, or purely these M550d, etc.

Now, one of those engines in a 3 series coupe and you would be talking... (probably be a bit front heavy if you chucked it in a 1 series!!).

X5, X6 and possibly an F30.